Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2021, 05:05 AM   #1
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
M5Paper e-ink device for DIY

https://m5stack.com/collections/m5-c...isplay-235-ppi

I think this is very interesting because this device combines the display and form factor of a small e-book reader with a very power efficient esp32 development kit with wifi, Bluetooth, SD card reader, battery and USB C charging.

The M5Paper doesn't come with any useful functionality, out of the box, except some demo software and examples with source code. You, as a programmer, have to program the device to do what you want it to do. Think Arduino, MicroPython and Platform.IO. And the possibilities are mind-boggling.

It may be seen as a prototyping device, but when it has been programmed it is already good-looking enough for an end-user use as it as it is. Just write the software! Not very cheap at $69. But a super cheap and fast way to create a nice looking finished custom device with these capabilities.

Sure, make an e-reader or news reading device. Or a bedside clock or stock market ticker. Mail notifier or super-pager. Advanced time management event input device. Or one-tap ordering device on the fridge. Or a custom dash/remote/controller for a smart networked home/office/farm/greenhouse/shop/factory. And possibly all of that at the same time, if you are clever enough. Or something completely different.

(No connection, except as a customer. I've bought two... )
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
what language would you use to program this device?

Last edited by rem736; 01-25-2021 at 01:35 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
what language would you use to programming this device?
If you are going to use the Arduino environment, think C/C++.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
E
p
i
c!!!
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:24 AM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
what language would you use to programming this device?
C/C++, as DNSB said. But there is also MicroPython and something called UIFlow.

Using UIFlow you can program by drag-and-drop of GUI elements to the display and drag-and-drop of code blocks to create functionality. Looks fun and easy, but I haven't tried it. It is based on Blockly and MicroPython and seem to have some nice functionality. Receive and send mqtt messages. Display and use an onscreen keyboard for input. Upload/download your "apps" over wifi. And more.

https://flow.m5stack.com/

Last edited by Adoby; 01-23-2021 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Looks like a very cool toy to play with.

They have a UK distributor (https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/supplier-centers/m5stack), but they aren't listing this device yet.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
UIflow looks very easy for beginners, especially those with high expectations. I was wondering, can I listen to music on this with Bluetooth e arbuds?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:30 AM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
UIflow looks very easy for beginners, especially those with high expectations. I was wondering, can I listen to music on this with Bluetooth e arbuds?
Sure. But you need to figure out how to do it yourself. Easiest might be to connect extra stuff to it and use that to play the music over bt. There are several connectors on it for connecting extra stuff. After all this is a dev kit. You are the limiting factor. Perhaps you even need to solder a little and code from scratch. And then the nice form factor is gone.

I think there is other kit that is better for use as a audio device with bt out.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Raspberry Pi and one of the many add-on eink panels.

The M5panel kit is for seriously experienced developers used to working at a low level. The Raspberry Pi solutions merely require experience programming.

Neither is a good starting point if you are not an experienced programmer. Also I don't count experience building Web applications as real programming. Most of that is modifying scripts. I've done both.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:00 AM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you have your heart set on e-ink there's also this (looks like it's using python): https://github.com/aceisace/Inkycal

I was going to go that route and bought a Raspberry Pi 4 but I ended up buying a "SunFounder Raspberry Pi 7 Inch Monitor HDMI - 7 inch 1024×600 HD LCD Display Screen Built in Speaker for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B with RPi Case Holder" on Amazon for $60. (The link for it in my past orders page goes to something different.) That display is nice; the Pi mounts on the back of it. It's a full 24 bit HDMI display.

As for programming stuff, I've been dinking around with tkinter, a graphical programming library for Python based on top of the venerable tcl and tk. I've written a slide show program that randomly displays all of the images in a folder. I'm still working out the bugs for displaying animated gifs. My own homemade 7 inch picture frame.

Last edited by hobnail; 01-25-2021 at 02:04 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Well mine is on its way. Although the UPS tracking says that it is currently in Louisville, Kentucky, and should be delivered to me in the UK before 2PM tomorrow, a pair of statements that don't appear compatible
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Well mine is on its way. Although the UPS tracking says that it is currently in Louisville, Kentucky, and should be delivered to me in the UK before 2PM tomorrow, a pair of statements that don't appear compatible
Not impossible as it's not crossing the Channel, Kent or the Irish Sea. Direct air freight?

It does sound unlikely.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Air Freight gets expedited Customs clearance. (The forms may already be at the UK customs broker). The actual time may be off (time zone differences)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:25 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

2 pm EST = 7 pm GMT?
Old 01-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #15
Adoby
Handy Elephant

UIFlow (Blockly+MicroPython) is not yet supported on M5Paper. But it seems it will be. They are working on it.

Tags
e-ink diy esp32 m5stack