Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read or avoid books recommended by Oprah Winfrey?
I avoid the book specifically based on her recommendation. 38 24.36%
I read the book specifically based on her recommendation. 3 1.92%
Who is Oprah Winfrey? 19 12.18%
I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not 96 61.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #91
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post

Oprah connected with another faked memoir. She needs some researchers on her team, LOL.
That's the job of the publisher.

A really good writer can make the impossible believable.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #92
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
i am pretty sure, that oprah has no idea, how the kindle works. for me, she is not that kind of woman, who is interested in reading on an e-reader at all.
she's too showbiz for that.
enjoy your reader - and the books
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #93
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post

True. However, anyone with her widespread influence has a responsibility to do a little more research into what she touts. Lord knows she has enough staff to do so.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #94
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
True. However, anyone with her widespread influence has a responsibility to do a little more research into what she touts. Lord knows she has enough staff to do so.
From the article:

Quote:
The Rosenblats were interviewed twice over the years by Winfrey, who has called their romance "the single greatest love story ... we've ever told on the air." They have inspired a children's book and a feature film adaptation is scheduled to begin next year.

Unlike such fake Holocaust memoirists as Misha Defonseca ("Misha: A Memoire of the Holocaust Years") and Benjamin Wilkomirski ("Fragments"), Rosenblat is indeed a survivor and records prove that he was at the Buchenwald camp.

But scholars doubted his story, noting that the layout of the sub-camp made such an encounter at the fence virtually unthinkable (They would have met right by an SS barracks). A recent article in The New Republic quoted friends and family members who were outraged by Rosenblat, so much so that one of his brothers stopped speaking to him.

The cancellation is sure to outrage survivors and scholars, who have worried that Rosenblat would encourage Holocaust deniers, and likely revive the debate over why publishers don't fact check books. Even after such fabrications as James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces," another Winfrey favorite, publishers have said that with more than 100,000 books coming out each year, fact-checking is too time-consuming and too expensive.

Penguin has already had to break ties with two authors this year.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #95
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

He was on her show well before he planned on the book. He wrote the memoir because of the popularity of the story.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #96
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seabound, "interviewing them twice over the years" is not what I meant by research.

Any book written as non fiction demands to be verified, does it not?

This quote, by the publishers

Even after such fabrications as James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces," another Winfrey favorite, publishers have said that with more than 100,000 books coming out each year, fact-checking is too time-consuming and too expensive.

is shameful. But, encouraging others to buy the book, without checking it out herself, is as bad.

If you are going to sell a book, you must take responsibility for the contents.

I know I just lost a lot of faith in so called "non-fiction".
Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #97
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Seabound, "interviewing them twice over the years" is not what I meant by research.

Even after such fabrications as James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces," another Winfrey favorite, publishers have said that with more than 100,000 books coming out each year, fact-checking is too time-consuming and too expensive.

is shameful. But, encouraging others to buy the book, without checking it out herself, is as bad.

This has been my opinion of 'non-fiction' for years. The only ones I tend to read are those of a technical nature, with an established base or easily verifiable, or those titles by individuals I would trust. Either way I still read them with a grain of salt. I started treating non-fiction that way sometime in my teens when I learned how many 'facts' from history that are constantly retold have been debunked -and widely accepted as being debunked- and are often the more well known. Simply because of an author or salesman (ie. politician) who gave a nice sensational count of the faux history. One doesn't even need to lie to give a reader a false viewpoint of the events, simply choosing the truth to tell about a situation very carefully can lead a reader nearly anywhere the author wants.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #98
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
It never fails to amaze me how much emotion people invest in Oprah, I chose "I'll read a book if I find it interesting" which is true. I don't seek out her recs but I don't avoid them either, same thing with her electronics...when she endorses something I won't rush out to buy it but I won't avoid it either. And this attitude applies to every celebrity on this planet...I like what I like, if they ike it too great if not, too bad.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #99
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
As I read all these comments, I kept asking myself: why was this thread started? If it was to discuss the value of celebrity endorsements of books, then the comments of literate readers (which I think we all are) would surely be interesting. But if it became a forum simply for opinions about Oprah herself, then it was likely to produce (and indeed did produce) a lot of disparagement (it's really easy to be and sound superior when you are not debating face to face) that is, frankly, a waste. My opinion of Oprah is of little interest to those who don't know me, so why express it here? What is most obvious to me is that there are people who can't abide a powerful woman whose words pack a commercial wallop, but that's who Oprah is and nothing we say here will change that. OTOH, anyone who can recommend Anna Karenina, Night and The Corrections (though that recommendation, as some of you know, produced a whole ruckus of its own) can't be all bad.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #100
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
i am pretty sure, that oprah has no idea, how the kindle works. for me, she is not that kind of woman, who is interested in reading on an e-reader at all.
she's too showbiz for that.
enjoy your reader - and the books
harry
I'm curious what you think is the "kind of woman, who is interested in reading on an e-reader at all."
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #101
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
What on earth convinced Oprah that she had great taste in books mystifies me.
I imagine the marketing budgets of major publishers convinced Oprah that she should recommend books. I've watched her show on and off since the 80s but not so much anymore because it has become boring. If you analyze what she does, almost every episode is based on product placements. That woman makes bank with every word that comes out of her mouth. For that, I truly admire her. She is amazing. However, the books she pushes rarely spark my interest, so I have never read a book based on her recommendations.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #102
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
That statement seems overly broad to me. Or do you really believe Amazon.com and every other store that sells books should take responsibility for the contents of the books they sell?
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #103
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
That statement seems overly broad to me. Or do you really believe Amazon.com and every other store that sells books should take responsibility for the contents of the books they sell?
We're not talking Amazon. We're talking a powerful talk show host that pushed a book without verifying its truthfulness.

And yes, its called integrity and responsibility.

"Non-Fiction"
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #104
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:

It took "scholars"--whatever those meant in this case--to expose the hoax, and the story was out there for anyone to "investigate." It's the kind of story that people want to believe.

Also, the publishing industry is in the business of publishing books. The "Pride and Prejudice" and other fiasco notwithstanding, they would have tools, experience, and know tricks of the trade that Oprah would not. For every hoax writer that Oprah inadvertently supported (eh, two?), there are probably other honest and deserving people, not only authors, who benefited from her support.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #105
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
It took "scholars"--whatever those meant in this case--to expose the hoax, and the story was out there for anyone to "investigate." It's the kind of story that people want to believe.

Also, the publishing industry is in the business of publishing books. The "Pride and Prejudice" and other fiasco notwithstanding, they would have tools, experience, and know tricks of the trade that Oprah would not. For every hoax writer that Oprah inadvertently supported (eh, two?), there are probably other honest and deserving people, not only authors, who benefited from her support.
Pride and Prejudice fiasco?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote