Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read or avoid books recommended by Oprah Winfrey?
I avoid the book specifically based on her recommendation. 38 24.36%
I read the book specifically based on her recommendation. 3 1.92%
Who is Oprah Winfrey? 19 12.18%
I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not 96 61.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #61
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm suprised there is only one out of 58. Or maybe not, I got the impression from people who bought her books when I was at the bookstore didn't read often (no Preferred reader cards, etc) so they probably wouldn't need a ereader device.
I'm not, actually. The kind of insults I've seen on this board leveled against Oprah-viewers since she recommended the Kindle I think would likely chase them out. If they stumbled in here trying to find out about ebooks I wouldn't be surprised if they decided this was not the community for them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #62
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I think you have a good point, and I agree. General fiction is pretty safe ground. Particularly for her viewers, I think SciFi tends to be a more male-oriented genre. If her goal is to get lots of people to read a book, plain old fiction has the best bet. Her tastes could be much more varied, but she might not recommend them as to not alienate viewers.
Thanks for the opinion - I'll pass it along to Elizabeth Moon, Sarah Hoyt, Wen Spencer, Kristine Smith, Kathryn Rusch, Jeanne DuPrau - to mention a quick half-dozen female SF authors - and the hundreds of other current women writing SF and Fantasy. And let's not forget the very memorable characters created by the husband and wife team Steve Miller and Sharon Lee! (Tree and Dragon RULES!)

And genre fiction is, by far the largest market for women - if you include such genres as paranormal romance, romance and 'chick-lit'.

Of course, my main criterion for 'quality' writing is, does it entertain me - which is where about half the books Oprah has mentioned fail. Heck, I'd rather read a Regency or Harlequin than most of those on the list.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #63
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Thanks for the opinion - I'll pass it along to Elizabeth Moon, Sarah Hoyt, Wen Spencer, Kristine Smith, Kathryn Rusch, Jeanne DuPrau - to mention a quick half-dozen female SF authors - and the hundreds of other current women writing SF and Fantasy. And let's not forget the very memorable characters created by the husband and wife team Steve Miller and Sharon Lee! (Tree and Dragon RULES!)

And genre fiction is, by far the largest market for women - if you include such genres as paranormal romance, romance and 'chick-lit'.

Of course, my main criterion for 'quality' writing is, does it entertain me - which is where about half the books Oprah has mentioned fail. Heck, I'd rather read a Regency or Harlequin than most of those on the list.

Derek
I said tends, silly. I just picked it as an example.

And I'd rather read a Harlequin or a Regency than the books on her list, but that's because that's what I read most of the time I wonder why she doesn't pick fun stuff, actually (at least some good old fashioned chick lit). All of her books are serious. That I can't explain. Any ideas?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #64
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm not, actually. The kind of insults I've seen on this board leveled against Oprah-viewers since she recommended the Kindle I think would likely chase them out. If they stumbled in here trying to find out about ebooks I wouldn't be surprised if they decided this was not the community for them.
That would be unfortunate if true.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #65
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I said tends, silly. I just picked it as an example.

And I'd rather read a Harlequin or a Regency than the books on her list, but that's because that's what I read most of the time I wonder why she doesn't pick fun stuff, actually (at least some good old fashioned chick lit). All of her books are serious. That I can't explain. Any ideas?
I can - I think. It's because she's attempting to steer her sheeple to the "serious" works that, supposedly, will 'enlighten their minds'. As *IF* reading of fiction should be for that purpose! She'd do *MORE* to promote reading if she pointed readers to entertaining literature that MADE READING FUN (Remember the RIF program - R)eading I)s F)un???)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #66
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I can - I think. It's because she's attempting to steer her sheeple to the "serious" works that, supposedly, will 'enlighten their minds'. As *IF* reading of fiction should be for that purpose! She'd do *MORE* to promote reading if she pointed readers to entertaining literature that MADE READING FUN (Remember the RIF program - R)eading I)s F)un???)

Derek
No But I remember Book It, the Pizza Hut program! Must have worked too, because I love books and I love Pizza Hut!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #67
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
That would be unfortunate if true.
Yep. That's why I'm trying to encourage a more moderate stance here. I want ebooks to grow. I don't think us playing "my book is better than your book" helps.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #68
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Yep. That's why I'm trying to encourage a more moderate stance here. I want ebooks to grow. I don't think us playing "my book is better than your book" helps.
I think that is an excellent stand to take.

And RIF still stands for Reading Is Fundamental: http://www.rif.org/
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #69
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Yes, that is a good way to put it.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #70
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
And don't forget the "Million Little Pieces" scandal...
I never understood what the problem was. What does it matter if it was true or not? The important thing was if you enjoyed the book and got value out of the time invested in reading it. The "scandal" reminded me of when pop group Milli Vanilli released an album where the artists in the pictures never sang on the album. It was all session musicians. When it was found out, people complained and the record company allowed people to return the CDs for a refund. "A refund? You bought the CD because you liked the music, right?"
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #71
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't think anyone is really dissing the actual books (at least, not more than in any other recommends thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
I never understood what the problem was. What does it matter if it was true or not? The important thing was if you enjoyed the book and got value out of the time invested in reading it. The "scandal" reminded me of when pop group Milli Vanilli released an album where the artists in the pictures never sang on the album. It was all session musicians. When it was found out, people complained and the record company allowed people to return the CDs for a refund. "A refund? You bought the CD because you liked the music, right?"
I think people felt a little dirty. If I remember correctly, the book brought out sympathy from the readers because of his life story. So when they found out he was lying, they were pretty pissed. I think they offered refunds for it too.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #72
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Well, in my decision to buy a book or a cd I use more factors than just if I like the book or the cd. Such factors as who the author is and so on. I read a book in a contexts. I would be pretty annoyed if a read a non-fiction book and later was told that it was fiction. I read non-fiction and fiction in different ways.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #73
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Her tastes could be much more varied, but she might not recommend them as to not alienate viewers.
Or she may be recommending books that she or her producers think will show her in a good light (a serious reader of serious fiction), and therefore will sell to her viewers because they want to be just like her.

I think, given the anti-Oprah and the anti-anti-Oprah feelings flying around here, I ought to state that I would have that view regardless, almost(*), of whoever was recommending the book. I tend(**) to view that sort of endorsement through an incredibly cynical filter.

If Oprah does have the sway over her fans that people in this thread and others have suggested then I can actually see why people would avoid a book she had recommended. Whether we like it or not, people make judgements based on how they perceive others to be, and being seen to read an Oprah-recommended book could lead others to assume you only bought it because she endorsed it.

(*)My one blind spot in that respect would have to be Stephen Fry(***)
(**)The yeti and I actually did buy something because he endorsed it on his blog... I know, it's sad.
(***)Except the iPhone. I don't care how many he has and how much he loves them, I don't like them at all (and yes, I've used one. And also yes, I use a Mac)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #74
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I voted for Who is Oprah?
I know *of* her, I know she is some kind of American celebrity and I happen to know she grew up very poor. That is about all I know.

So I went to the youtube and tried to look up a video of her endorsing a Kindle. No luck. I viewed a random 180 second clip from her show instead.

Holly $DEITY!

Are ALL her shows like that?
I mean all people screaming insanely, jumping madly, fainting and generally going bonkers? I can't find strength to go and look at a few more videos at the moment to make sure.
Unbelievable.
<shudder>

Are there other shows like that in USA? I mean all the audience going bonkers without any apparent reason whatsoever?
I thought that the strangest shows were those in Japanese television ;-)
That's a good description of American life, actually.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #75
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Or she may be recommending books that she or her producers think will show her in a good light (a serious reader of serious fiction), and therefore will sell to her viewers because they want to be just like her.

I think, given the anti-Oprah and the anti-anti-Oprah feelings flying around here, I ought to state that I would have that view regardless, almost(*), of whoever was recommending the book. I tend(**) to view that sort of endorsement through an incredibly cynical filter.

If Oprah does have the sway over her fans that people in this thread and others have suggested then I can actually see why people would avoid a book she had recommended. Whether we like it or not, people make judgements based on how they perceive others to be, and being seen to read an Oprah-recommended book could lead others to assume you only bought it because she endorsed it.

(*)My one blind spot in that respect would have to be Stephen Fry(***)
(**)The yeti and I actually did buy something because he endorsed it on his blog... I know, it's sad.
(***)Except the iPhone. I don't care how many he has and how much he loves them, I don't like them at all (and yes, I've used one. And also yes, I use a Mac)
Very nicely summed up! I think the only time I actually read a book with one recommendation is when my mother recommends something to me. But even then it takes me forever to get around to reading it.

I don't like iPhones, but I do like my iPod touch