Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
CM7 on the Fire

Quote:
Just two short weeks after the Kindle Fire received its first dose of Android development goodness (read: root), the first full custom ROM has made its way to the device. The ROM is question is, of course, CyanogenMod 7, the most widely distributed custom ROM among Android devices.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

I was wondering about one thing in a previous post, does a recovery Fire ROM exist. This article answers the question (It's worth noting that it's still unclear whether or not there is a way to restore the stock ROM if you decided to flash CM7, so if you plan on making the leap, be aware that it may be irreversible for the time being).
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I was wondering about one thing in a previous post, does a recovery Fire ROM exist. This article answers the question (It's worth noting that it's still unclear whether or not there is a way to restore the stock ROM if you decided to flash CM7, so if you plan on making the leap, be aware that it may be irreversible for the time being).
Once you have root access, can't you dd the partitions as a backup? I would assume that would be enough to roll back CM7.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I really don't see a need for 99.999999999% of Fire owners to mess with this. Unlike the NookColor and Nook Tablet, the Fire is very capable of using apps from various sources right out of the box. Why would we want to mess with a buggy Rom when we have a stable and usable system. Plus I bet you will lose a lot of the Amazon Cloud.

So my response is a huge meh!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I really don't see a need for 99.999999999% of Fire owners to mess with this. Unlike the NookColor and Nook Tablet, the Fire is very capable of using apps from various sources right out of the box. Why would we want to mess with a buggy Rom when we have a stable and usable system. Plus I bet you will lose a lot of the Amazon Cloud.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
I really don't see a need for 99.999999999% of Fire owners to mess with this...
And 97.42% of all statistics are made up
Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I think this is an exciting development. From what I understand (which is little), Honeycomb and ICS are hardware accelerated, so this opens the door to even better performance and battery life.

Quote:
I really don't see a need for 99.999999999% of Fire owners to mess with this.

Thats not a ham radio type attitude!
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
This is good news IMO. Not as a question of whether I should be installing this very early work that is still in heavy development, but rather that the Kindle Fire is capable of being customized in this way.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I think this is an exciting development. From what I understand (which is little), Honeycomb and ICS are hardware accelerated, so this opens the door to even better performance and battery life.

Thats not a ham radio type attitude!
What Honeycomb? The article said Gingerbread and buggy. Get the facts straight.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

And shouldn't this thread be in the Developers forum?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
What Honeycomb? The article said Gingerbread and buggy. Get the facts straight.
I got the facts straight: you gotta walk before you run. Gingerbread and recovery before honeycomb and ICS.

And what about that hamradio spirit?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:

If you are happy with the stock software, then good, you have no need to mess with it, but other people might want the added flexibility that a stock Android provides, plus a path for ICS with all its goodies, which is unlikely to be provided by Amazon. Yes, it's buggy - the Fire has been out 2 weeks, what do you expect? These people have lives, they mess with the devices on their spare time.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
And shouldn't this thread be in the Developers forum?
Yes, my bad.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
The fact that ICS source has been released means the CyanogenMod team can at least try to make a version for the Fire. Considering a CM7 version is already partly working after only two weeks can only be a good sign.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
ICS on a Fire
This is a very mature development version. I think it is interesting that the Fire is 1) targeted, and 2) malleable. I'm not very interested in rooting my Fire -- Amazon has made it very easy for technical people to bend and stretch their tablet. Still, I can imagine that Amazon is looking at ICS on the Fire and I suspect we will see a lot of value add there. I'd love to see the carousel area replaced with a gadgets area.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote