Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Kindle for Android on CM7 without registration, gapps, or marketplace?

I am considering getting a Nook Color to read books with color illustrations, and maybe magazines. I've also seen some posts that say the out of box Nook can not be used at all without activation, which includes registration and agreement to some objectionable (to me) terms of "service".

I've also read that the Nook Color can boot CM7 from a microSd card without any modifaction of the Nook at all. Does this apply to a Nook Color straight out of the box? (No activation, no registration) Can CM7 be installed to emmc on on unactivated Nook?

I also do not want to install any google apps or get anything from any marketplace. Is it possible to get and install Kindle for Android on CM7 without going through a marketplace? How about FBreader and/or Coolreader?

Same for ssh server and client. With an ssh server on the Nook, can I scp book files directly to a Nook directory where reader apps can open them?

I have been using linux eclusively at work and home for over 16 years and have no Android experience at all.

Thanks for any help.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I've also read that the Nook Color can boot CM7 from a microSd card without any modifaction of the Nook at all. Does this apply to a Nook Color straight out of the box?
Yes
Quote:
Can CM7 be installed to emmc on on unactivated Nook?
CyanogenMod can be installed on the internal FLASH and the contents of the eMMC media storage folder will remain unaffected. AFAIK, or can remember, B&N activation has nothing to do with that process since the Nook Color boot priority has the SD card at the highest priority.
Quote:
Is it possible to get and install Kindle for Android on CM7 without going through a marketplace? How about FBreader and/or Coolreader?
Of course it is possible, but it is much easier to get them on The Market. For instance, Coolreader can also be downloaded from it's Source Forge project page.
Quote:
Same for ssh server and client. With an ssh server on the Nook, can I scp book files directly to a Nook directory where reader apps can open them?
If you want to go to that extra trouble then it is also probably quite possible, but there are certainly easier ways to load content on an NC running CyanogenMod. For instance CM7 can make the NC appear as a FAT32 USB drive whenever the NC is connected to a PC via USB, and that includes Linux.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
I am curious I haven't come across any books other than kids books that had the pictures in colour. Do the publishers of ebooks produce these as most up until recently anyway are aimed at non colour e-ink readers?
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
I am curious I haven't come across any books other than kids books that had the pictures in colour. Do the publishers of ebooks produce these as most up until recently anyway are aimed at non colour e-ink readers?
I have several EPUB books with color images: memoirs, photography, travel, nonfiction, etc. So, yes, the publishers do produce them. It is difficult to determine in advance, however. Your best bet is to download a sample and hope it has some graphics within the sample pages.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Most books are all text, some have monochrome illustrations and/or photos, and some have color illustrations and/or photos. Electronic books are the same.

When I bought the right to read the electronic version of "Pictures of the Mind", I did not know whether there would be pictures or not or how that would affect the usefulness of the book to me. It turns out that the pictures are in the book and that the book can stand on its own without the pictures. But many issues discussed in the book relate to differences in brain activity under different conditions. These differences are shown using color in the book and I rarely saw any difference at all in the gray scale pictures on a Vizplex Kindle 2 or a Pearl Kindle DX. The color portions are in color in that electronic book and would display in color on an electronic reader with a color display.

It would be up to the publisher whether any illustrations are color or not. I have seen reviews of the CK-12 textbooks that say many of the color illustrations lose legibility on Kindles.
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Yes
CyanogenMod can be installed on the internal FLASH and the contents of the eMMC media storage folder will remain unaffected. AFAIK, or can remember, B&N activation has nothing to do with that process since the Nook Color boot priority has the SD card at the highest priority.
Thanks!

I am still a little confused regarding the internal install. Do you mean that all internal install steps can be made from one or more boots from SD? And that once done the CM7 boot from the internal install can then be done with no SD present? I would like to use the SD for data and remove and insert it at will.
Quote:
Of course it is possible, but it is much easier to get them on The Market. For instance, Coolreader can also be downloaded from it's Source Forge project page.
Easy is in the eye of the beholder. I do not want to have to use USB and have to initiate everything from the Nook. For example, every morning my DVR downloads my podcasts and uses scp to put them on my phone. It is all automated and I haven't had to do anything since I set it up. I rarely have time to listen to all my podcasts and frequently have to delete old ones from my phone. If I hear about one from a few weeks ago that I want to hear, but it is already gone from my phone, it is likely still on my DVR.

I am open to the "market" concept, but I do not want a google account. Are there any markets that do not require personal information to access? I probably have no interest in paid apps.

Quote:
If you want to go to that extra trouble then it is also probably quite possible, but there are certainly easier ways to load content on an NC running CyanogenMod. For instance CM7 can make the NC appear as a FAT32 USB drive whenever the NC is connected to a PC via USB, and that includes Linux.
As I wrote, I do not want to bother with USB data transfers. I already have enough experience both ways on other devices to know my preference.

Good for anyone that does not mind USB, it is just that I do.