Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Shouldn't Kindle be open to App makers?

One of the main competitive advantages of the iPhone is all the app makers willing to develop on the platform. Consumers have a great selection of apps. This greatly extends the feature set of the iPhone.

Why can't Amazon do something similar with the Kindle? Of course, they would have to prevent Apps from accessing the internet since that would be too costly.....but there are plenty of Apps that don't need to access the Net.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Nope. I just want to read books on the Kindle.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Agree with JMikeD. I'm happy with the Kindle as it is.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Yea, not time yet.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Nope. I just want to read books on the Kindle.
Same here, but I already have an iPhone which does an insane number of tasks for me (internet, email, calendar, games, movies, many other apps).

I think with the Kindle they wouldn't have any of the underlying infrastructure in the code to allow the kinds of hooks needed for user designed apps, so it would be a massive re-write.

Another problem is, you wouldn't get that many coders working on apps because in terms of mobile computing, most of them are writing blackberry/iphone apps which have massive market share. Maybe the Kindle 5 might have user created apps!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
First of all, not a BAD idea with the apps on the Kindle. It would give it multiple functionality. The problem is that most folks that have an advanced, expensive piece of electronics like a Kindle would most likely have another device that could run apps: computer, phone, gaming device, laptop, etc, and thus it would be redundant (and probably slow) to run apps on an e-ink device. I think most people would agree that they just want to read on their Kindle. But creative idea!
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What everyone has said is true. I still think there must be someone interested in making apps. Any app is better than no app...and it can always be removed.

I am talking about really small apps like legitimate screen saver applications (I don't like the current ones), font applications, currency converters, folder applications, language tools...etc.

The user can determine whether an individual app augments the Kindle experience! I think the freedom would be a great benefit and differentiator.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Agree with JMikeD. I'm happy with the Kindle as it is.
I'd *like* the Kindle to also support ePub, but I must admit that I'm happier with my K2 than my old Bookeen Cybook Gen3.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
markbot
Guru

oh yeah, i forgot...if the Kindle were opened to app makers....the first app made would probably be for epub. hence, we won't see this anytime soon.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
NDizzle
NDizzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
What are you guys talking about? The source code for the Kindle has been posted for a long time. There just aren't many enterprising nerds out there with these fancy reading gadgets.

Here you go, make your own firmware. Add support for whatever you wish.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200203720

Also, those of you who are happy with the Kindle as it is obviously don't spend any time reading technical documents or any documents as PDF. The Kindle support for PDF is amazingly bad - I'm not even sure why they talk about it so much or that this fact hasn't been pointed out. It doesn't even support document links in PDF, so you cannot jump between chapters, or jump between sections of the PDF.
NDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
markbot
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDizzle View Post
What are you guys talking about? The source code for the Kindle has been posted for a long time. There just aren't many enterprising nerds out there with these fancy reading gadgets.

Here you go, make your own firmware. Add support for whatever you wish.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200203720

Also, those of you who are happy with the Kindle as it is obviously don't spend any time reading technical documents or any documents as PDF. The Kindle support for PDF is amazingly bad - I'm not even sure why they talk about it so much or that this fact hasn't been pointed out. It doesn't even support document links in PDF, so you cannot jump between chapters, or jump between sections of the PDF.
How come no one has made an epub app yet? or have they?

I was under the impression that these developers were making hacks, not legitimate applications recognized by Amazon.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
How come no one has made an epub app yet? or have they?
Because typing "mobigen somebook.epub" into a command line just isn't hard enough to warrant one.

If you mean an ePub reader that supports Adobe DRM, that won't happen (as has been discussed many times) as the Mobipocket license doesn't allow use on ereader devices that support other DRM schemes.

Quote:
I was under the impression that these developers were making hacks, not legitimate applications recognized by Amazon.
That is the case.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Not in it's current form. It's just too slow (both the processor, wireless and e-ink) to be useful for much more than leisure reading of novels IMO.

I do, as everyone here knows, really want a nice tablet device down the road though with an app store etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
It looks like the nook community is well on it's way to losing their wireless service. With these folks hacking the nook and loading a browser or apps on it I can't imagine AT&T won't cry foul and demand more funds when their network load starts spiking.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
deryk
deryk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well what can ya expect, they brag about android, have a cellular modem of course hackers are gonna go in and load a browser and play with it. I seriously thought of buying a nook just because of the "posibilities" well maybe down the road it might be something, but I have a real problem with companies releasing non working products hopeing they would make a few updates and life will be grand... well didn't b&n have another failed ebook reader? I'm gonna get myself a kindle after xmas. Moms giving me money for it and honestly when I look for a book I always head to amazon not b&n anyway and did some author checks and amazon has more books by my favoured authors.
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote