Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Track # of Amazon ebooks that are available

There are currently 91,626 books available in Amazon for the Kindle as of today.

Let's track it and see how often Amazon updates/adds new books...might be interesting.

So...let's post when there is a change.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
Kindle book total for Thursday Nov. 22nd

I actually checked this yesterday and the total books listed was 91,560.
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
chrisc
Go Sox!
chrisc began at the beginning.

Device: Dead Trees
Friday, Nov. 27, 2007 = 91,626 Results
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
chrisc
Go Sox!
chrisc began at the beginning.

Device: Dead Trees
whoops it was started today.
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Bear in mind that this number includes short stories and various articles.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
SanAntone
Connoisseur

Interesting....just a few hours later and it's 91,633. It's neat to see that books are being continually added.

By the way, I'm looking under the "Books" section only. Let's not get wrapped around whether they are short stories or not. What I'm interested in is how much new content is being added.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've been tracking Sony's total offerings by category at two weeks intervals since September and will continue to do so. It might be useful to tabulate this info together somewhere for these two vendors and some others, as well.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 11-23-2007 at 06:04 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
SanAntone
Connoisseur

Good idea vivaldi! The more both stores grow the better it is for all of us.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
pixiepurls
pixiepurls began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
also bear in mind it may include books uploaded by non-publishers, has anyone researched if those are included or in a separate section? I know some people have already uploaded their own works for sale.
pixiepurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
also bear in mind it may include books uploaded by non-publishers, has anyone researched if those are included or in a separate section? I know some people have already uploaded their own works for sale.
i did. it was fun. but you don't want to buy it, i just published a page from my web site.

and if you think about that you begin to see perhaps some rationale for the levy article. some no-name like me actually gets 'published'. at least using of definition of 'published' that someone could actually buy something i'd written.

that one fact alone may convince me to keep my kindle in spite of everything else screaming for me to return it and get an asus instead ... [g]

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
November 24, 2007: 91,698
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Well, if you go to the Kindle Books section on Amazon and change it to sort by publication date so the newest stuff is first and then page thought it for a while it becomes clear that a lot of this is rubbish.

I suspect Amazon will keep touting the number of books they offer in a somewhat Stalin-esque "quantity has a quality all its own" way, but I don't think this is the best metric to use to evaluate the amount of useful content that's available.

I think the bestseller lists (which they're obviously working hard to provide) and number of books by popular authors, and percentage of books you'd find at your local Borders would all make better measures of the growth of the Amazon ebook store over time.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Well, if you go to the Kindle Books section on Amazon and change it to sort by publication date so the newest stuff is first and then page thought it for a while it becomes clear that a lot of this is rubbish.

I suspect Amazon will keep touting the number of books they offer in a somewhat Stalin-esque "quantity has a quality all its own" way, but I don't think this is the best metric to use to evaluate the amount of useful content that's available.

I think the bestseller lists (which they're obviously working hard to provide) and number of books by popular authors, and percentage of books you'd find at your local Borders would all make better measures of the growth of the Amazon ebook store over time.

Z.
You are right on here. Quality means everything when it comes to selection of books, music, movies and just about everything else.

It would be grreat if someone could quantify the number of most popular or quality numbers of publications between Amazon and Connect. I would be most interested in that kind of information.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
It would be grreat if someone could quantify the number of most popular or quality numbers of publications between Amazon and Connect. I would be most interested in that kind of information.
Me, too. But how? For Amazon, I can only see totalling the number of books in each category, much the way I'm doing now for the Sony site. For Sony, I could add the number of book award winners and nominees they offer since these are listed separately, although that's still a bit of work. I don't see any easy way to quantify quality further at either site. But if you have any ideas, let me know. Otherwise, you're right - they can offer a lot of trash but who cares?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
24 November 22:08 , 2007: 91,710
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon kindle ebooks, duck!, track