Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
fkbsar
fkbsar began at the beginning.

Device: Augen
Augen Battery will not Hold a Charge

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have an Augen that will not charge, and I can no longer find the receipt. Is there a way to replace the battery - I don't see any screws in the back. Or if you've dealt with Augen in the same situation what did they tell you to do or how much did it cost to get the battery repaired and what is the turn around time. Thanks for answering all of these questions.
fkbsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
fkbsar

UPDATE: In my consideration Augen has the worse Customer/Repair Service that I have dealt with so far. My E-book arrived at their service department on March 8. It was working when plugged in but would not hold a charge when unplugged so I had to use it plugged in all the time. After calling several times to check on a battery replacement (was falsely told twice that it was repaired and would ship the next day). I finally got my e-book back today. IT IS NOT WORKING AT ALL NOW! I don't understand how they could send it back not working in any capacity. I've contacted them through their website and will be making a call on Monday.
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
WickedGirl
WickedGirl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sad! Please update this thread further when you can. I would like to know what I can look forward to in the future. Wish I knew how to open the thing up.
WickedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
dryfire
dryfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Open Augen

Opens just like an iPod. "CAREFULLY" work a plastic then blade tool into, and then around the groove. Top frame comes off, leaving the entire works in the tray. I lifted the screen, without disconnecting it, and pried up the battery. Now I have to find a replacement battery source.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGirl View Post
Sad! Please update this thread further when you can. I would like to know what I can look forward to in the future. Wish I knew how to open the thing up.
dryfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
fkbsar

Update: Sorry it took so long for this update. I got a reply email the next day and was shipped a refurbished e-book that does work. I think it was the threat of going to corporate with my complaint. The customer service reps there seem to be very nonchalant when replying to questions and concerns about your equipment after you've made the purchase. I still have the broken one - was not instructed to send it back. I think it might be good for parts for someone else because it doesn't even turn on when plugged in.
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
WickedGirl

Have you tried...and thanks!

Thanks for the info about opening it up.

And, for the one that does not work, and for battery needs, have you guys tried looking on eBay? I always get my hard to find replacement parts on there (from sellers with good reviews only of course). For the one that does not work, it still may only need a good battery that can be charged. The old battery may not be able to hold any charge at all any more, and may be needed to complete some sort of circuit, even when plugged in. I have seen electronics like that before (like my Creative Zen player). Retarded system, but they exist.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
fkbsar

Haven't tried opening it up but will. I like to tinker so when I get bored that will be one of the things that I will do. Do you know if they have compatible replacement batteries for the Augen on Ebay? I guess I could get it out and look either at Batteries Plus or Radio Shack if I get stuck for a battery source. Might take a while to get to this but I'll keep you all updated as to what I do with the nonworking one.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
dryfire

Smile Augen Battery

[QUOTE=dryfire;1621700]Opens just like an iPod. "CAREFULLY" work a plastic then blade tool into, and then around the groove. Top frame comes off, leaving the entire works in the tray. I lifted the screen, without disconnecting it, and pried up the battery. Now I have to find a replacement battery source.

Unable to find the squishy battery, so I improvised. A Radio Shack 273-0034 2.35mm connector, a 4 AA battery holder, a little solder, a little heat shrink tubing, a patch of Velcro. Now she is a portable reader. I will be experimenting with battery life, rechargeables, etc.

Jim
The Computer Helper
dryfire@dryfire.us
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
fkbsar

Ok...update. I opened up the nonworking Augen with no problem. But after I did I went duh.... It can't just be the battery because even when plugged in it doesn't come on, or nothing shows, so it could be the screen. So I've been watching ebay to see if I can get one cheap for parts.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
dryfire

Smile One with my Augen

My Augen does one thing, and that very well, she is a superb eBook reader.
What she declines to do: Call home, run on internal battery, browse, read DRM books, windows.
Worth every bit of the $30 I paid. Now that Augen Inc. is gone (RIP), repairs, warranties, spare parts, returns are no longer an issue.
My Augen and Calibre, a good recipe.

Jim The Computer Helper
dryfire@dryfire.us

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, nothing is perfect and nature bats last.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
fkbsar

Wow Augen went belly up. When? I love my Augen too. Customer Service was very lax though.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
WickedGirl

fkbsar.....is there some sort of way you can use a volt meter to see if juice is running between certain points, etc?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
fkbsar

I don't know. I tinker a little but not indepth.

Another thing I noticed the other day - my first time loading video (avi) on the reader. The file name shows up for a while on the list and randomly disappears after powering off the ebook. The file is there when you connect it to a computer. When the listing was there and I clicked on it I was very impressed with the quality of the sound and video that it displayed.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Last edited by fkbsar; 08-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.