Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #46
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Another plus for electronic books is; when in a country with a different language, you have access to EXACTLY the same range of books as you do at home. Try that one in a foreign bookshop!

Personally I love e-ink, but if something better replaces it, I'm sure I'll love that too. Just as long as I have access to books - I hate the withdrawal symptoms when I don't.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #47
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes, but if you want to store more than 64GB of music, then the iPod Classic is still your only choice. I've not yet seen an MP3-player or phone that officially accepts 128GB SDXC cards. Even then, the iPod Classic 160GB is still larger. Combining the cost of the card+device, makes the iPod Classic cheaper in many cases.

This is the only Apple device I've ever owned, because there just wasn't any other option. Now that I've changed over to FLAC an listening full albums again instead of shuffle, I've sold it because it can't hold my entire library anymore, and it can't play FLAC.

(At this point in time, there is only one 256GB SDXC card available in The Netherlands, and it costs €500.)
My iPod Nano holds my music library with space left over, so I have no need for the iPod Classic(For now). Would love to have one some day though! I would never run out of space for music, that's for sure.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #48
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
As much as I love reading on my Paperwhite, I think the days of the e-ink e-readers are numbered. As the price of tablets comes down I think a lot of people will get them instead of a separate e-ink single purpose device.
When I bought the Nexus 7 (2013), I thought for a few weeks that I would switch to it for reading e-books. But then, in spite of its high resolution, the experience still wasn't as good as reading on an e-ink device, and I switched back. The problem, for me, isn't the resolution, but the backlight (vs. the front light). Also, I can read on my e-ink readers in broad daylight and in well-lit rooms.

Now, I understand why more average readers won't get an e-ink reader. They are inexpensive, but it's still a separate device, and unless you used one, you may not appreciate how much more suited it is for reading (also in terms of "isolated" reading: much less multitasking compared to what happens when I read on a tablet).

I don't feel overly strong about the issue, though. I could still buy a VHS or record player now, so no doubt I'll be able to get e-ink readers in a decade even if they were discontinued tomorrow. There will also be a niche market for a long time. Plus, my books live in Calibre, so if I have to, I can read them on a tablet, too.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #49
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The problem with most tablets, IMHO, is the 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.

Too wide in landscape, too long in portrait.

If I'd ever read on a tablet, it will *definitely* be a 6-8 inch 4:3 tablet. I'd even rather have a square tablet than a 16:9 one.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #50
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
True, the format of most tablets is also not the most ergonomic for reading. In addition, tablets are much more fragile. If I fall asleep and the e-ink reader slides off and drops, it'll probably be fine (then again, I managed to kill my Kobo Glo by flopping on it), but I'm far more paranoid about the tablet.

And finally, I have to charge the tablet daily, or at least every second day, since I use it for other things than just reading. My e-readers get charged maybe once a week without actually needing it. They are more like books than they are like computers.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #51
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't think that ebooks will go away or ebook reading devices. Maybe they will evolve into something better and well they should. But if they never change they will still be good enough

My experience with the 12 books a year or less crowd is different than most it seems. I have had a fair number of people who have told me that the used to read less than a book a month and now (with an ereader) the read several books a month. It is about convenience both in getting the books and in having them with them so they are able to read when on transit, in a waiting room, on a park bench etc. At least 3 of these people have also told me that the more they read the more they want to read and since they are mature readers I attribute that to ebooks.

Conversely the 20-100 books a year crowd often seems more resistant young or old. They have a lot more time invested in reading paper and have built strong habits perhaps. I can empathise. I bought my first ereader for $379 because I couldn't easily get paper books where I lived. I doubt I would have spent that much if I could. I would have one by now of course, but I am big into tech.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The problem with most tablets, IMHO, is the 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.

Too wide in landscape, too long in portrait.

If I'd ever read on a tablet, it will *definitely* be a 6-8 inch 4:3 tablet. I'd even rather have a square tablet than a 16:9 one.
How interesting. Because if you look at the text block of most books, hardback or paperback, you'll find that it's a 10:16 or taller ratio. Nowhere near 3:4.

I'd like a 7" eReader in 9:16 ratio. It would be 0.2" narrower than a 6" 3:4, and 1.3" taller.
Overall, fewer page turns, and it would fit in more of my pockets.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #53
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How interesting. Because if you look at the text block of most books, hardback or paperback, you'll find that it's a 10:16 or taller ratio. Nowhere near 3:4.
You are forgetting that a book needs to be folded open to be read, and an e-reader doesn't. Therefore a paperback doesn't feel as elongated as a reader does.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #54
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
You are forgetting that a book needs to be folded open to be read, and an e-reader doesn't. Therefore a paperback doesn't feel as elongated as a reader does.
Some people break spines…..
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #55
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did. Being careful not to break the spine of every paperback I ever owned was one of the main reasons for me to start looking into e-readers. Having a book folded open at a 45 degree angle just isn't good enough for me.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #56
Heim
Zealot
Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I was all about breaking spines! And folding corners to to mark my place.
Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #57
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Whatever happens, I think there will be a very long transition period. None of this "demise of paper" over the course of a decade, nor the demise of dedicated ereaders anytime soon. I realize things can move fast with technology and culture, though.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #58
bbpo8
bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc and Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard, and DX
The main problems with ebooks are not technological. Rather they have to do with copyrights, digital rights management, and the lack of compatibility.

I can get many p-books used or from the library for cheap or free. The e-book version is either not available or more expensive. (Of course there are public domain e-books for old books which are a great treasure.)

Also I think people on this forum underestimate the difficulty most non-technical people experience in dealing with DRM and multiple formats. Caliber is great but is really only suitable for about 10% of the population.

Finally there is the fear, uncertainty and doubt about entrusting your books to private companies. Many companies have left the business, leaving their customers as orphans. Even Amazon has a dubious future, since it never seems to make much profit and the inflated stock price is unsustainable.

So, let us beware of believing anyone's predictions!
bbpo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #59
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Cost is another determining factor in the adoption of technology. When the Kindle was first introduced over six years ago (Nov 2007), it cost $400. Now you can get one for $50 on sale and load it with thousands of free titles from Amazon and public libraries.

Also, digital growth will rely heavily on access to the net. As prices drop and access becomes more widespread, adoption will quicken that much faster.
Yep and new tech. always costs more at first then the price drops as it becomes more commonplace. In the old TV game shows of the 1950's winning a TV set was considered a big prize because they were so expensive to purchase. Now days they are a lot cheaper, or were prior to the flat screen which is still costly at this time, but will probably go down as well. Then there was the VCR which cost over $1000.00 when they 1st came out. And the DVD player was expensive as well. For that matter personal computers were very expensive when they 1st came out on the market. Now days you can pick one up fairly cheap (depending on what you want it to do).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #60
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
A lot of schools are equipping the students with kindles or ipads, where their books will be. I can't imagine students in college or graduate schools will be lugging books around.
I think the attached image from Teleread sums it up in a lot of ways.

People are generally resistant to any form of change. Change forces people out of comfort zones and that familiarity of using or doing something the same way they have done all their lives.

My parents (both in their 70's) both have iPad's and my Father commented to me that Mum loves it. Email, games, Facebook and Facebook messages, reading magazines. All good and something she has dove into with great courage ignoring that resistance to change. Dad is no different and the phone calls I used to get when they had a PC have diminished significantly. Now Mum is talking "Kindle".

I cannot read on a tablet myself as my eyes do not like backlit LCD screens for the time required to get into an ebook. So I do hope that a single purpose device like an e-ink ereader remains purchasable. I am sure it will as single use devices are masters of what they do and provide no distractions like email, message alerts and an icon with a disgruntled bird on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chalk and paper.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	118338  
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote