Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
hmmm going through the gen3 forums, it looks like the race is narrowed down to sony or bebook - it appears that its 50/50 whether you get a problem with gen 3, thats too high in my opinion, although im sure the 50% with gen 3's that dont have a problem will disagree with me.

hmmm bebook or sony 505 . . . .
Fair enough, its your choice

I'll just like to say that saying that 50% chance of getting a problem is a misnomer and a bit of misleading figure.

One of our members who is a reseller and has sold a few hundred of them, commented that the figure closer to 3-5%, which while high is nowhere near as high as 50 %.

The reason it may look so is , that one, the early fimwares were a bit rushed, and as such had some problems, which have been mainly rectified in the newer versions, and two, the squeeky wheel is always louder, and as such problems get a lot more airtime .

I'll not say that the Gen 3 has not had problems, or Bookeen is not the best in responding, but it is a decent product in a new industry .

Edit: As harry has corrected me, the figure was 1-2% not the 3-5 % I initially put down

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 10-15-2008 at 09:57 PM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
One of our members who is a reseller and has sold a few hundred of them, commented that the figure closer to 3-5%, which while high is nowhere near as high as 50 %.
No, Tribble actually said that the number of broken screens (which is what people worry about) was "under 1%", with perhaps 2% experiencing other problems. We don't have any hard data for other manufacturers, but I strongly suspect that the figures are very similar. There's no reason whatsoever to be concerned about the reliability of the Gen3, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
As does the Kindle.
While that is certainly true, it's somewhat irrelevant for a UK buyer
Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, Tribble actually said that the number of broken screens (which is what people worry about) was "under 1%", with perhaps 2% experiencing other problems. We don't have any hard data for other manufacturers, but I strongly suspect that the figures are very similar. There's no reason whatsoever to be concerned about the reliability of the Gen3, IMHO.
Right!

I just rattled the figure off the top of my head and was little hazy about it.

That'll teach me to check my figures
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
While that is certainly true, it's somewhat irrelevant for a UK buyer
True but you said:

Quote:
In fairness I must add that the Gen3 is not the only machine to have a replaceable battery - the BeBook has one too.
You didn't say off the machines you can get in the UK... Just trying to keep everyone honest is all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #21
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
thanks for your comments chaps - I think in the end i got discouraged with the gen3 after reading some of the comments in the gen3 section , I think I'll probably get a bebook; that's if I dont end up impulse buying the 505 instead! :-)
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
thanks for your comments chaps - I think in the end i got discouraged with the gen3 after reading some of the comments in the gen3 section , I think I'll probably get a bebook; that's if I dont end up impulse buying the 505 instead! :-)
I'd suggest looking first at what format books you wish to buy and read.

If - as I did - you come to the conclusion that MobiPocket is the best format, then do bear in mind that the current implementation of the Mobi Reader on the BeBook is, by all accounts, not terribly good. That of the Gen3 is enormously better.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If - as I did - you come to the conclusion that MobiPocket is the best format, then do bear in mind that the current implementation of the Mobi Reader on the BeBook is, by all accounts, not terribly good. That of the Gen3 is enormously better.
I don't necessarily know if mobipocket is the "best" format... but it is certainly the one of the bests available format (right after PDF), no doubt about that. However, there are ways to read mobipocket ebooks on devices that don't specifically support it. Granted, the legality of those "ways" is different in different countries.

Also, Harry what "accounts" are you talking about? From the "accounts" I have read here the Hanlin Mobi support is fine excepting the dictionary lookup is not there yet. What other differences exist? Can someone with both devices compare and contrast this for us?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
One reason to buy a Bebook now is that OpenInkpot works on it. I would by a Bebook or the new Sony if I bought something now.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also, Harry what "accounts" are you talking about? From the "accounts" I have read here the Hanlin Mobi support is fine excepting the dictionary lookup is not there yet. What other differences exist? Can someone with both devices compare and contrast this for us?

BOb
There have been many comments from Hanlin and BeBook owners about the inadequacies of the current Mobi support, Bob. To pick one completely at random, here's what Slite (who has a BeBook) has to say:

Quote:
Hanlin V3 and rebrands have excellent folder support (BeBook for instance).

Not so excellent Mobi support at the moment tho, Mobi works, but no dictionary lookup support, and no adding of your own fonts, just the "built in" ones.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #26
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Just to punt into the mix

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...r/Product.html

£180 for the Sony reader, free delivery AND comes with he trifold cover.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Since this thread started a year ago, the Sony 300 and Sony 600 are now readily available (Sony Stores, Waterstone's and elsewhere). Also Borders has the Elonex (a rebranded Hanlin/Jinke clone). And there's now the Cybook Opus too.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #28
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
So what exactly is "dictionary support?" Just getting definitions of English words? Would be nice for ESL people, but maybe less so for people who speak English as a first language...

I'd love dictionary translation though, so I could quickly look up words when I'm reading in French.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I must beg to differ; having a good dictionary at your fingertips is incredibly useful especially if, like me, you read a lot of 19th century novels. There are lots of words which have fallen out of everyday usage and, although one can generally guess their approximate meaning by context, for me personally it makes the reading experience richer to be able to find out exactly what they actually do mean.

For example, one example I encountered in my recent reading, from the book "Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope:

Quote:
Thus clad, she peered out into the tent, went to the ha-ha, and satisfied herself that at any rate the youngsters were amusing themselves, spoke a word to Mrs. Greenacre over the ditch, and took one look at the quintain.
Without looking it up in the dictionary, could you tell me what a "ha-ha" is? What about a "quintain"?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #30
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Fair enough, Harry. Consider me newly educated about stone walls and jousting.

But do any of these devices support cross-language dictionaries? Because that would get me excited.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote