Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
infosix
infosix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
KOBO H2O

Hi,

I used my Kobo H2O for about 1 year and constantly have problem of freezing screen. It happen once every night after few minutes of reading, so I have to shut down the reader and to reopen it. Very unpleasant procedure for a reader of this price.

H2O seems to have more problem with epub format than it has with Kebub, but even with Kepub my reader freeze, from time to time. The problem seems also to be linked with annotations of texts (a mess on any KOBO reader). I already have a Sony PR3 for three years now and never experience such problems. I think KOBO devices are buggy and I would not recommended to anybody to buy one.

P.
infosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had my H2O for about 1 year 5 months and I've not had such problems. I think it's most likely your device and not the H2O in general.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest asking in the Kobo forum for assistance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:56 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by infosix View Post
Hi,

I used my Kobo H2O for about 1 year and constantly have problem of freezing screen. It happen once every night after few minutes of reading, so I have to shut down the reader and to reopen it.
It's been freezing daily for a year, and you haven't tried to troubleshoot it or return/exchange it?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:27 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your about 1 year is less than 1 year, then contact Kobo and see about returning it under warranty. If my H2O was doing what yours is, I would have returned to to get it sorted. The behavior you are describing is not normal.

Even if the warranty is up, still contact Kobo and see what they would be willing to do for you. I just don't get why you would put up with it without thinking it's defective.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by infosix View Post
Hi,

I used my Kobo H2O for about 1 year and constantly have problem of freezing screen. It happen once every night after few minutes of reading, so I have to shut down the reader and to reopen it. Very unpleasant procedure for a reader of this price.

H2O seems to have more problem with epub format than it has with Kebub, but even with Kepub my reader freeze, from time to time. The problem seems also to be linked with annotations of texts (a mess on any KOBO reader). I already have a Sony PR3 for three years now and never experience such problems. I think KOBO devices are buggy and I would not recommended to anybody to buy one.

P.
I've exactly had this problem. And I've seen several others on this forum also post about this issue. You're not alone, and you can safely ignore the previous posts on this thread.

I've determined precisely what causes this bug: it only happens if you quickly take it in and out of sleep in a very short amount of time. That it is to say put to sleep -> wake up -> put to sleep -> wake up. That causes the software to freeze so that the screen becomes unresponsive. The power button still works however. Rebooting the reader by a long press of the power button will unfreeze it.

Some posters have said that doing a factory reset has resolved this issue, but other posters have found that to not work. It's worth trying. I personally don't like the idea of recopying my entire calibre library over again, so I've put off trying this solution.

Understanding how the bug is triggered, it was easy to nearly eliminate this bug by just being careful. I only have it happen to me once every two or three weeks. It doesn't seem worth replacing the reader as defective. I honestly have to reboot my smart phone more frequently.

One last note: I don't have this issue on the Kobo Glo HD.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I also have to mention that I've encountered another screen freezing bug.

I had an ebook from Calibre that I transferred to my Kobo Aura H20 and my Glo HD. Both would freeze when trying to advance to a certain page. When I investigated further I found that it was trying to render an image file that was stuck in the middle of the ebook. While the Calibre reader could read the jpeg, neither Kobo device could. When I then purchased the ebook from the Kobo store I had no issues.

I also found that you could just skip over that part and the rest of the book would read fine. If this more closely describes the situation that you have it's worth loading those epubs into Calibre and taking a more careful look at the places that make your Kobo freeze.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This forum is for which one a member should buy.

Questions, as Harry indicated, should be directed toward the Kobo Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:36 AM   #9
infosix
infosix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I've exactly had this problem. And I've seen several others on this forum also post about this issue. You're not alone, and you can safely ignore the previous posts on this thread.

I've determined precisely what causes this bug: it only happens if you quickly take it in and out of sleep in a very short amount of time. That it is to say put to sleep -> wake up -> put to sleep -> wake up. That causes the software to freeze so that the screen becomes unresponsive. The power button still works however. Rebooting the reader by a long press of the power button will unfreeze it....
I have also found that the freezing of my KOBO H2O was directly related with the sleeping mode of the device. The freezing were happening every night after I have closed, may be two or three times, the cover of the Kobo reader (since this action put the device into sleep mode). Not a single freezing since I had desactivated the "sleep mode under cover closing" on my Kobo reader.

Thank's for your very helpfull comment...

Pierre
infosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
And another problem solved even though it was in the wrong forum.

Warm fuzzies for MobileRead.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h2o