Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Auto-scroll

I love auto-scroll! It's the one feature I've missed from my PalmOS ereading days. I've read 5 books via M3 and it has been awesome. But with that said there's one issue that has been grating on me. Auto-scroll doesn't feel very automatic when I have to continually touch the screen to make it work. It's not a big deal for long chapters, but not every book has long chapters. Kris, is there anything that can be done about this? Thanks for your hard work!

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm not sure I understand the issue you are having?? Whenever Marvin gets to the end of a file (likely at the end of each chapter) you have to touch the screen to get auto scroll moving again. You also tap the screen to pause auto-scroll and then have to tap it again to get it moving again.

Is the issue that you have to touch the screen at the beginning of each chapter? You'd rather it continuously scroll through the entire book? If that is the case, then I don't see why Kris couldn't add a switch to the settings for vertical scrolling mode to get it to auto scroll into the next file. I don't want to put words in his mouth though. He is probably wading through tons of suggestions.

In any case Kris requested in this thread to send bug reports to him in an email. He is much more likely to follow up using that venue than here on MR.

Good luck - that sounds like a good idea!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the issue you are having?? Whenever Marvin gets to the end of a file (likely at the end of each chapter) you have to touch the screen to get auto scroll moving again. You also tap the screen to pause auto-scroll and then have to tap it again to get it moving again.

Is the issue that you have to touch the screen at the beginning of each chapter? You'd rather it continuously scroll through the entire book? If that is the case, then I don't see why Kris couldn't add a switch to the settings for vertical scrolling mode to get it to auto scroll into the next file. I don't want to put words in his mouth though. He is probably wading through tons of suggestions.

In any case Kris requested in this thread to send bug reports to him in an email. He is much more likely to follow up using that venue than here on MR.

Good luck - that sounds like a good idea!

Yes, that is exactly my issue. I don't want to have to start the auto-scroll for every chapter. Thanks for letting me know to email Kris. I didn't see that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@JBaby - Pausing auto scroll when entering a new chapter has been a conscious design choice. The idea is for readers to, for lack of a better word, 'feel' that they have transitioned into a new chapter (a pause intended by the author).

I'll consider adding this as an option.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
JBaby
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@JBaby - Pausing auto scroll when entering a new chapter has been a conscious design choice. The idea is for readers to, for lack of a better word, 'feel' that they have transitioned into a new chapter (a pause intended by the author).

I'll consider adding this as an option.

Thanks Kris! I'm sure most people don't have a problem with it. For me though this feature is also an accessibility feature. I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta, brittle bone disease, and while it's a super duper rare occasion it has been in the case in my life when both of my arms have been broken at the same time. Having someone set me up with my iPad, start M3, and start auto-scroll is no biggie. Having them start it at every chapter will become very annoying, very quickly.

Advert
Old 08-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@JBaby I'll definitely look into it. What would be your preference be about what Marvin should do when reaching the end of a chapter? Should Marvin pause there?
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
JBaby
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@JBaby I'll definitely look into it. What would be your preference be about what Marvin should do when reaching the end of a chapter? Should Marvin pause there?

Thanks Kris!!! Honestly I don't think there needs to be any pause. I know I'm at a new chapter when it says "Chapter XX". But if you want it to pause then have it pause for a moment and then continue on. That's how my Sonicare toothbrush works. It runs for 2 min but it momentarily pauses every 30 seconds to let me know to move to a new quadrant in my mouth.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
Thank goodness for this thread. Kris, I don't think auto-scrolling should stop at the end of the chapter. At least consider as I said in a thread (before I found this one) to allow an option for frictionless auto-scrolling. This way the chapter stops don't hinder auto-scrolling even when the chapter ends. Or...

You could implement a auto-scroll timer feature...allowing the user to set an amount of time that allows the auto-scroll feature to scroll through all the text even the chapter stops until a set time is reached and then the auto-scroll stops.

So this way the user can auto-scroll through the book without being bothered by chapter stops and forcing auto-scroll to be re-enabled at the beginning of a new chapter.

I think simply allowing an option to auto-scroll seamlessly through chapters would be the simpler way to implement it. Although there could also be an argument for the auto-scroll timer idea...but I think that would be much harder to code than a simple option to scroll through all the text without stopping.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:29 AM   #9
JBaby
Zealot

I personally do not like the timer idea unless it's optional. I don't want to have to decide in advance how long I want to read. I'd rather it not have a pause either. But I'd take the pause over the timer any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I personally do not like the timer idea unless it's optional. I don't want to have to decide in advance how long I want to read. I'd rather it not have a pause either. But I'd take the pause over the timer any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

I don't want a timer for the autoscroll feature either. I just brought it up as a way of showing there's no harm in having a frictionless autoscroll and throwing out the idea of the timer was an outlier. Let's hope Kris gives us the frictionless autoscroll. The stops are jarring. By having real autoscroll would make reading that much more fun in my opinion.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote