Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Annotation performance?

Curious how it's going to be. I still use iBooks since Marvin doesn't yet have annotation syncing and vertical scrolling. More and more it seems like I will switch. Besides having hundreds of books, and not easily being able to scroll through them (with an index scrolling), performance is starting to lag.

I'm starting to get into the habit of having, for each epub chapter, possibly hundreds of annotations. Vertical scrolling then really starts to slow down. Hopefully Marvin can do better.

I would imagine that for really decent performance, would a temp file that modifies the html and css be faster an than overlay?
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin never modifies HTML in ebooks - However, it "flattens" the annotations into HTML (in memory) once an EPUB section is loaded so, say, page flipping performance and reading performance shouldn't be affected. The only place where I can see degradation is when opening a section containing many hundreds of highlights but Marvin is heavily optimised to deal with this too.

You could try the free version of Marvin with a couple of books of your choice, create a bunch of highlights and see how it does.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert