Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
Plsleite
Plsleite began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S and iPad 2
I really can't understand why annotation and highlight syncing still wasn't made automatic.

I have to open Marvin on my iPhone, email myself the file, open the email on my iPad and open the file in Marvin (or vice versa), all the time!

If that can be done manually, why not make it automated?

Maybe add an option to, within the app, upload the file to Dropbox and another one to restore the file... It would work similarly to the page sync button.

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement that, since I don't know anything about programming, but that would certainly make my life easier and Marvin experience much much better.
Plsleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
binone
binone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle
Yeah, I have been wondering the same thing - but the topic does not appear to get much traction for some reason.

So Marvin is able to read a .mrv file - it shows up as an app that can read this on my ipad.

All that Marvin XD has to do is to retrieve and persist the .mrv file when sync'ing Marvin -> Caliber and send the exact same .mrv file back when going Caliber -> Marvin.

I suppose if Marvin implements a couple of methods e.g. getAnnotations("returns .mrv file") and putAnnotations("Accepts .mrv file") the implementation of the sync would be trivial.

But the smart guys here maybe know of some underlying reason why this would not work.

This sync would make the whole process a heck of a lot easier than e-mailing files around not to say keeping track of the original email and attachment. I thought that was what Caliber is supposed to do.
binone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #18
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
It is not the job of an ereader to do these things. That is true. But I think a ebook reader software that includes simple editing/highlighting capablities would be very popular and amazing. Show me software on the ipad (or even windows) that does in line editing/highlighting/minor changes. There is none. Period.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
binone
binone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
It is not the job of an ereader to do these things. That is true. But I think a ebook reader software that includes simple editing/highlighting capablities would be very popular and amazing. Show me software on the ipad (or even windows) that does in line editing/highlighting/minor changes. There is none. Period.
Not sure I follow what you are saying here.

Marvin *already* lets me highlight and annotate a document. I agree that an E-reader should not change the original epub. The ask is simply that a mechanism exist that allows for the separate annotations metadata file to be managed along with the original epub document to which it applies.

The Marvin XD allows this - but only does so Marvin -> Caliber. This is great in that annotations now appear along with the document to which they apply. But since the process is one way only, it significantly reduces the usability of this feature. A two way sync - unless there are real technical reasons for not doing it - would add tremendous value to the Marvin XD plugin and the whole user experience.
binone is offline   Reply With Quote