Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
Funny thing is, if B&N offered 20-25% off (without requiring payment for a loyalty program) I'd probably buy way more books there. So the solution could be staring them in the face. Half Price Books seems to have figured this out, as they have added new titles at a discount, and they seem to be thriving. But B&N stores won't even match their *own* online prices. If they fail its largely their own doing, IMO.
Maybe they could adopt the policies of Crown Books, which used to discount every book they sold. Even if it was just 10% on a paperback, it made sense to buy from Crown vs. their competitors.

It's too bad family squabbles shut them down. I wonder how they would have fared otherwise?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #47
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I routinely receive B&N emails offering coupons for 15-20% off. Last week they sent a 25% one. I guess one needs to be on their email list.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I routinely receive B&N emails offering coupons for 15-20% off. Last week they sent a 25% one. I guess one needs to be on their email list.
I see these also – never good for Nook devices or books.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I see these also – never good for Nook devices or books.
And they wonder why I never use them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #50
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Booksamillion coupons are never good for ebooks either.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Booksamillion coupons are never good for ebooks either.
I wouldn't know how to use those "things" with the paper connected at one end – kind of like memo pads, but they've already written on all the sheets.

Actually, my daughter bought me the Complete Calvin & Hobbes Collection for Christmas. Incredibly nice set of four books. A little later I was talking to my Dad about them (at 84, he still likes Calvin & Hobbes also) – while talking I was looking at the pages they'll let you see for free on Amazon. My daughter comes in, "Dad, use the books!" She will only read paper books. She does not like eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #52
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wouldn't know how to use those "things" with the paper connected at one end – kind of like memo pads, but they've already written on all the sheets.

Actually, my daughter bought me the Complete Calvin & Hobbes Collection for Christmas. Incredibly nice set of four books. A little later I was talking to my Dad about them (at 84, he still likes Calvin & Hobbes also) – while talking I was looking at the pages they'll let you see for free on Amazon. My daughter comes in, "Dad, use the books!" She will only read paper books. She does not like eReaders.
My youngest is the same way.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #53
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
I work 2 minutes walk from a large B&N in a *very* affluent area (Bellevue, WA). I love spending a half hour in the store at lunch hour several times a week. The store wasn't exactly bustling a year ago but its positively dead now, with more staff than customers. There was a Starbucks semi-attached to it, and that has closed down - when all the other Starbucks in the area have a constant stream of customers. Every time I visit I am surprised it is still in business. Even I rarely buy books there - why would I pay full price when I can get Amazon to deliver the book to me next day for much less? And now there is an Amazon brick-and-mortar store 5 minutes walk away. It's soulless, and has 1/10th the selection, but its probably going to pull enough of the remaining business that we're talking days or weeks, not months, before the store shuts down.

Funny thing is, if B&N offered 20-25% off (without requiring payment for a loyalty program) I'd probably buy way more books there. So the solution could be staring them in the face. Half Price Books seems to have figured this out, as they have added new titles at a discount, and they seem to be thriving. But B&N stores won't even match their *own* online prices. If they fail its largely their own doing, IMO.
I don't know what books you buy....but everything I have checked at Amazon and BN Is about the same. Amazon is not the great savings place everyone makes it out to be...I would also rather pay a bit more for many items in a physical store due to easy returns ...mm
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 AM   #54
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
I buy a lot of technical/programming paper books. They typically run $40-$50 each at B&N stores, and about 30-40% less on Amazon.

Last edited by geekraver; 12-31-2017 at 01:49 AM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The verdict is in on their holiday sales:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...-revenues-6-4/

Quote:

B&N today reported holiday sales for the nine-week holiday period ending December 30, 2017.Total sales for the holiday period were $953 million, declining 6.4% as compared to the prior year. Comparable store sales also declined 6.4% for the holiday period, while online sales declined 4.5%.

Entering December, the Company was encouraged by the comparable store sales improvements throughout the second quarter and into November. However, sales trends softened in December, primarily due to lower traffic.
Not. Good.
Note that non-book sales declined worse than books. And that merchandise isn't on consignment, like books. That will produce a charge on earnings as they liquidate the unsold toys and trinkets.

Worse, as pointed out in the comments:

Quote:

The big red alert isn’t the total sales numbers but rather “aggressive expense management”.

In a retail environment, that translates to lower employee costs (typically, by reducing floor staff hours), higher coop fees (expect another S&S style catfight), and more store closures/downsizings.

“Aggressive expense management” is not a prescription for higher sales volumes. Especially at a time when 18 states are increasing entry level minimum wage.

B&N headwinds are only getting stronger.
A company that relies on consignment stock and doesn't do much if any advertising doesn't have much in the way of manageable expenses other than staff and rent.

Edit:

Note that B&N's decline (even online) comes amidst a market of slight growth for pbook sales.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ampaign=buffer

Their decline isn't because people aren't buying books but rather because people are choosing to buy them elsewhere.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-05-2018 at 08:18 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The more I see of this the more I think they would be better served by moving to smaller stores. It would give me a reason to go back inside the mall again.

I also could see the upside of a Nook/Kobo merger, though I doubt that would happen.

Of course, what do I know about retail operations?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #57
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Their decline isn't because people aren't buying books but rather because people are choosing to buy them elsewhere.
And possible greater discounting by B&N. Some of their holiday promotions seemed to be more aggressive than years past.

People could be buying more but spending less. It's a shame unit sales are not reported.

Looking at my purchases this year, every ebook I bought was below cost and a loss for the retailer.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
And possible greater discounting by B&N. Some of their holiday promotions seemed to be more aggressive than years past.

People could be buying more but spending less. It's a shame unit sales are not reported.

Looking at my purchases this year, every ebook I bought was below cost and a loss for the retailer.
Could be.
But the report specifically cites reduced traffic during the holidays.

Quote:

Entering December, the Company was encouraged by the comparable store sales improvements throughout the second quarter and into November. However, sales trends softened in December, primarily due to lower traffic.
Generally traffic is a proxy for unit sales.
So if they truly were discounting like crazy either the message didn't get out or sales would've been worse without it.

The trend of ever lower year to year traffic is a reflection of the fact that holiday pbook gifting reportedly isn't as prevalent as it used to be in past decades. The bookworms that used to be recipients have moved on to digital, making pbook gifting riskier.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The trend of ever lower year to year traffic is a reflection of the fact that holiday pbook gifting reportedly isn't as prevalent as it used to be in past decades. The bookworms that used to be recipients have moved on to digital, making pbook gifting riskier.
I think this is true, though I haven't done any research to back that up besides my own life experience.

E-readers are a niche product. But the heavy readers I know all use one. I used to get books every Christmas, but haven't for years.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

The decline in pbook gifting has been documented for years. As far back as 2013 the UK saw a 15% decline from 2012.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...s-in-2013.html
Since then "traffic decline" is a regular feature of holiday book sales post-mortems.