Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
quoddle
Enthusiast
quoddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
No external access to Content Server. Help please

I've used Calibre's content server for a long time allowing friends to access my library. Recently I was told that they could no longer access it, getting an error saying it was taking too long to respond. As far as I am aware nothing has changed at my end and all settings look the same as always.
My router is set to port forward port 12432 which is set up as the server port in Calibre
I can access the content server on my own network with my IP:12432 but when I use this from an external computer I get "Site can't be reached, IP took too long to respond" error.
I have tried turning Windows 10 Firewall off but it is no different.

It's obviously not a Calibre problem but I wonder if someone can suggest what else I can look at as something has changed and is preventing external acces to my IP and I'm totally lost for what else to check.
quoddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect something has changed that you have not noticed

My ip (the one that still works)?
is that your server IP (192, 10 series IP)?
Was the LOCAL network test done using another device? Yes, then the W10 firewall is not the problem.

Your WAN IP: is it static (or you use a DYNDNS type service and the account is still valid)?
Is your ISP (now) blocking really odd port numbers? Have you tried using a more traditional 4-digit, port?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
quoddle
Enthusiast

Thanks for helping and offering ideas.

My Ip is my main IP address XX.172.XXX.XX:12432
This is a static IP address provided by my ISP

The local test using this address was on the same PC that Calibre is running and on a separate laptop on my wifi network. Both work using either 12432 or 9091.

I've just tried port 9091 instead of 12432 but it still doesn't work on a pc not on my network.

Last edited by theducks; 05-13-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: obscured IP
Old 05-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lucky you to have an ISP that offers Static IP

Moderator Notice
Never post your Public IP. I have obscured it for you

Local good, WAN bad: ISP or router is blocking

Have you checked that the Static IP is still the same using a service that reports it?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
quoddle
Enthusiast

whatismyip.com confirm my IP address is correct
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoddle View Post
whatismyip.com confirm my IP address is correct
If it works inside (LAN), it is not a Calibre issue. Got to be a Router or ISP issue.

I know if I were to upgrade to a bonded pair DSL, I can no longer use my existing (standalone) VPN router . The ISP wants a Modem they can manage
Old 05-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
quoddle
Enthusiast

What's baffling is that it has worked fine for years and only recently ran into the problem even though nothing has (knowingly) changed on my set up. Certianly the hardware and internet connection is the same.

I have a Techicolor router which is configured simply as a modem (all set up by my ISP years ago) that provides pass through to my router. I have an IP block of tow fixed addresses so that the modem has it's own IP address so that I can interrogate it for synch speed etc. The firewall is on the main router whch is set up as it always has been.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoddle View Post
What's baffling is that it has worked fine for years and only recently ran into the problem even though nothing has (knowingly) changed on my set up. Certianly the hardware and internet connection is the same.

I have a Techicolor router which is configured simply as a modem (all set up by my ISP years ago) that provides pass through to my router. I have an IP block of tow fixed addresses so that the modem has it's own IP address so that I can interrogate it for synch speed etc. The firewall is on the main router whch is set up as it always has been.
What are you using for anti-virus on the computer that is running the content server?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:02 AM   #9
quoddle
Enthusiast

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
Old 05-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

but it is NOT an security software issue if any OTHER local PC can access the content server.

You would have to block JUST the port REQUESTED from the Router (AKA a request from outside path). Personally, I don't think most suites are up to that level of granularity
Old 05-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Have you tried changing the port from 12432 to 8080, just to see if that works?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #12
quoddle
Enthusiast

Tried 9091 with the same result, viewable on any device on my home network but nothing remote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you rebooted the router?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
quoddle
Enthusiast

Several times since this problem appeared.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
quoddle
Enthusiast

I've just tried assigning a different LAN IP address (192.168.1.3 rather than 192.168.1.4) to the Calibre PC and modifying the port forwarding to take that into account followed by rebooting the router. To my surprise I can now access Calibre via a remote computer as in the past. I've no idea why this should have made a difference but it seems to have cured the problem

Thanks for the help and suggestions.