Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #1
raunak
raunak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 2 B002A
Unhappy Kindle Keyboard 2 wont update

Hi Fellow Readers.

I have had a kindle Keyboard 2 B002A(sprint ) version for quiet a while now .

I am facing a few obstacles in updating the firmware for the same .
Currently I am at the version 2.0.4 which i believe is the base version it came with.

I am now outside the US and want to update the same to the latest version 2.5.8 so I can use the wireless while traveling .

have tried downloading the firmware to my pc , then connect the kindle over USB and transfer the .bin file into the kindle removable drive root folder.
But once i eject the kindle safely and go to Menu>Settings the Update Your Kindle option is greyed out and never accessible.

Also once I connect the kindle back to the PC , in the removable drive the .bin file has disappeared.

I request anyones help who may have successfully solved the same.

I did a bit of reading on the forums and realised that (correct me if I am wrong) I cannot go directly from 2.0.4 to 2.5.8 ? IS it so?

IS there any other intermediary firmware versions which I need to update to before 2.5.8 ?
raunak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There shouldn't be a problem, Amazon doesn't list any intermediary updates. Normally incremental updates are listed. Did you make sure to download the right update (WiFi vs. 3G)?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I am now outside the US and want to update the same to the latest version 2.5.8 so I can use the wireless while traveling .
The B002 model **is not** the international model (its US only).
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

So be certain you are trying to install the correct model's update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And I'm too lazy to actually check, but in addition to the model mismatch knc1 pointed out, your initial deduction does sound vaguely familiar, you might have to jump to 2.3.x before being able to move to 2.5.

EDIT: Yep.

2.3:
Minimum OTA 291330095
Target OTA 399380047

2.5.8:
Minimum OTA 399380047
Target OTA 555370010

Perfect match .

Just fudge the D/L link manually if FW 2.3 isn't listed anymore on Amazon's Kindle Software Update page.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is positively stupid of Amazon. Why don't they detail and link the usual incremental upgrade procedure???

Wildly inaccurate upgrade page

FW 2.3 for devices with serial numbers beginning with B002

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-23-2015 at 07:56 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And I'm too lazy to actually check, but in addition to the model mismatch knc1 pointed out, your initial deduction does sound vaguely familiar, you might have to jump to 2.3.x before being able to move to 2.5.

EDIT: Yep.

2.3:
Minimum OTA 291330095
Target OTA 399380047

2.5.8:
Minimum OTA 399380047
Target OTA 555370010

Perfect match .

Just fudge the D/L link manually if FW 2.3 isn't listed anymore on Amazon's Kindle Software Update page.
It no longer lists the older FW, so ....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...e_2.3_B002.bin

Install that one, and then ....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...2.5.8_B002.bin

Then install that one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, keyboard, update