Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Question Calibre: Difference between Windows & Mac Version?

Hi,

Are there any differences between the Windows and Mac version of Calibre? From what I can see it seems to be exactly the same but just wanted to check that this is correct? For example, I know the Android and Apple version of CC is slightly different with the Android version having more features.

Interesting stats, with 3,096,815 active installs. The majority of people use the Windows (82.5%) version followed by Mac (15.3%). Top three installs by country are Spain, United States and Germany. Assuming the high percentage of Windows users is because that operating system is more widely used, not because there are more features/easier to use. There is no difference in moving database from Mac to Windows as the database file and books files are the same format.

The reason I ask is because I have Mac laptop and Windows desktop and wondering if I can use both pretty easily and jump between them which seems to be the case when I copied my library in the Microsoft version. I need to use the Mac because I have iBooks on there but prefer the Microsoft PC as larger screen and easier to organize my library...

Thanks,

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no difference, apart from differences imposed by the limitations of the operating system itself, such as maximum filename length, case-sensitivity of the filenames, etc.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I think the only difference is the operating itself and the way they treat the underlying file system (Windows has some length limitations, Linux is case sensitive...) but not calibre itself.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 AM   #4
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no difference, apart from differences imposed by the limitations of the operating system itself, such as maximum filename length, case-sensitivity of the filenames, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I think the only difference is the operating itself and the way they treat the underlying file system (Windows has some length limitations, Linux is case sensitive...) but not calibre itself.
Kovidgoyal & Terisa de morgan - Thanks for confirming. That is what I thought.

Interesting that Spain is the country with the top number of installs with 12.7%. I can understand more people using the Microsoft version but was surprised that Spain was ranked number 1 though the United States is very close behind with 12.3%. The Spanish must love their books and managing them.

Inukami
Old 02-13-2018, 04:05 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Kovidgoyal & Terisa de morgan - Thanks for confirming. That is what I thought.

Interesting that Spain is the country with the top number of installs with 12.7%. I can understand more people using the Microsoft version but was surprised that Spain was ranked number 1 though the United States is very close behind with 12.3%. The Spanish must love their books and managing them.

Inukami
I think that some active forums dedicated to electronic reading which help about calibre questions in Spain are related to this.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 02-13-2018 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I think that some active forums dedicated to electronic reading which help about calibre questions in Spain are related to this.
¡ I thought it might be a reflection of the quality of Spanish TV

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
¡ I thought it might be a reflection of the quality of Spanish TV

BR
Not very far from real world
Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moving a Calibre library from Windows to Mac will probably be OK. Moving the other way has the potential to cause issues, due to the case-sensitivity of the Mac file system and path lengths which may exceed the Windows limit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moving a Calibre library from Windows to Mac will probably be OK. Moving the other way has the potential to cause issues, due to the case-sensitivity of the Mac file system and path lengths which may exceed the Windows limit.
Thanks for that info. Noted. I did copy library from Mac to PC with Microsoft and it seems fine though...

Inukami

Tags
calibre, mac, operating system, windows