Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #31
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
All the run-off books are within about 60 pages of each other in length, so I don't feel any pressing about the length of one vs the other. Normally I might read the non-fiction the slowest, but it's available in audiobook. I'm not sure whether I'll read or listen to whatever the selection is this month but with their lengths being similar, listening to an audiobook would make the speed about the same for any of the three barring a bunch of rewinds to re-listen.

I feel like I, Claudius is maybe the more conspicuous option for this month of all the nominations, but it's not a bad thing to go with the obvious choice sometimes. It's definitely a book I've wanted to read for a long time.

With the other two, I enjoyed the preview of both. The highest critical review on Goodreads of Cleopatra says it rehashes some things the reviewer already knew about her, but says it could be good for those who haven't studied Cleopatra... and that would be me! The same review also mentions interesting details on the Library of Alexandria in the book which I also haven't ever read much about but always found fascinating. And the author has won a Pulitzer for her writing.

So that's how I decided on my votes, but any of the three sound good and if the Fast wins I'd be happy to read it too.

-1 to I, Claudius
-1 to Cleopatra
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #32
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Same for me:

1 - I, Claudius
1 - Cleopatra
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #33
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Since no one else has expressed a preference, I will break the tie by giving 1 vote to I, Claudius since you both listed it first.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Run-off voting is complete and the winner is Claudius, by an I (of the Roman numeral variety).

I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #35
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'm looking at various editions and the Spanish title is cracking me up because it has a very different ring to it in English, akin to someone using slang to call out for him: 'Yo, Claudio'.
Advert