Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #106
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
[...] Agreed on the shrubbery - it hardly seems worth it! But to the young anything is possible
And not just possible, but a challenge to be taken up with enthusiasm.

I was going to say that we were all young once ... but given the context that might be sending the wrong message.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #107
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Continuing with the off-topic discussion (and why not? ), I recently read a book titled Yale Needs Women, about the coeducation of Yale in 1969. It doesn't seem that long ago, but the underlying and prevailing assumption of white male privilege (which continued after a tiny percentage of women were admitted) in the context of laws wherein not only was abortion illegal, so was birth control in the state of Connecticut, is both breathtaking and yet, in the current context, not all that surprising either.
Just came across this: 40 Basic Rights Women Did Not Have Until The 1970s
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #108
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for this Catlady. Some of the items startled me: for example, the one about not being allowed to have a bank account. I certainly had one from when I started working. Maybe things were different here from in the US.

The other thing which struck me was the use of terms every so often such as "girls" and "ladies". The use of those terms, which were used by men to put women in what was considered to be their place, jarred with me.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #109
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Bookpossum, Looking at that link I'm thinking it might be the same as in Australia where a married woman couldn't open a bank account without her husband's permission. (This is given in the detail but not the heading in that article.) If you were not married I don't think the same rules applies - although I imagine a father's consent would have been required up to a certain age. Also, I think in practice there tended to be considerable variation in how these rules were enforced. The difficulty being that if you got stuck with a ***** of a bank manager you had no come back.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #110
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
While the gist of the article was accurate, I found a lot of the specifics to be counterfactual. Whole lot of padding and poor research.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #111
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
A good article, but a mixed blessing - sorta infuriating to be reminded of some of those things

My high school triumph was to march out of class with my friends and winning the right to wear pants. The day before, the wind had scattered all my notebooks across a field. I had to trudge through 2 feet of snow capped with thin ice to recover them, cutting my legs to ribbons. They were ruined and I was furious. An hour into the protest, the younger female teachers came out to join us, and by noon, the administration caved. As we used to say, the personal is political.

Last edited by Victoria; 11-29-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #112
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The bias of the article was clear; it used the most extreme examples to make its point. It conflated actual legal barriers with general practices, and even the legal barriers weren't necessarily nationwide. It's still sobering. In the U.S. we still haven't passed the Equal Rights Amendment, which is rather appalling. Not to mention that women still earn only about 80 percent of what men earn in the U.S.

If you watch TV from the 1950s/1960s, the casual discrimination against women is startling. There's a Father Knows Best episode, for example, where daughter Betty wants to be an engineer; her mom assumes it's a joke and tries to distract her with a new dress. In another episode, when interviewing for a job, Betty has to explain that even though she's a pretty young thing, she doesn't plan to get married anytime soon, so the company won't be wasting the training they provide.

That's the 1950s; a decade later, in a Gidget episode, Gidget is mocked and demeaned when she signs up for a shop class to learn about car repair. She learns that it's easier to pretend helplessness and let some boy fix the car instead. In a Joey Bishop episode from that same time frame, Joey wants to get rid of his pretty new secretary to assuage his wife's jealousy, so he sets up a fake seduction to make her quit. That's supposed to be hilariously funny.

Does anyone remember classified ads in newspapers? When I was in high school looking for my first after-school job, the job ads were segregated as Help Wanted--Male and Help Wanted--Female.

(Yes, I watch too much old TV, and yes, gender discrimination is a hot-button issue for me.)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #113
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Indeed, we're still in an era where it's news that women in the workplace are, just now, getting the right not to be forced to wear high heels, of all the torture instruments! Or at least, they're finally getting it here in Canada -- I'm not sure about elsewhere anymore. And where even school uniform codes are routinely far more restrictive and sexist for girls. To "protect" the boys from being unduly aroused!

And yes, Catlady, I all too well remember those ads. I find myself pretty much unable to watch most of older TV because I find it way too offensive -- very little of it has aged well. OTOH, I do manage to read quite a bit of older fiction, which is still full of this subtle, or not so subtle, sexism and discrimination.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #114
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Does anyone remember classified ads in newspapers? When I was in high school looking for my first after-school job, the job ads were segregated as Help Wanted--Male and Help Wanted--Female.

(Yes, I watch too much old TV, and yes, gender discrimination is a hot-button issue for me.)
As it should be Catlady! Our first protest in school was followed by many other battles. I certainly remember the ads, and being paid less for the same job. One explanation I remember being given as a cashier was ”yes, but he’ll have a family someday”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Indeed, we're still in an era where it's news that women in the workplace are, just now, getting the right not to be forced to wear high heels, of all the torture instruments!

I find myself pretty much unable to watch most of older TV because I find it way too offensive -- very little of it has aged well. OTOH, I do manage to read quite a bit of older fiction, which is still full of this subtle, or not so subtle, sexism and discrimination.
Great point about OHS and wearing heels. I find a lot of the older tv too provoking to watch as well and yet, like you, I can read late 19th / early 20th c fiction. Perhaps the tv is too recent, and we directly experienced it first time round? We’re cringing at our own history, not someone else’s.

Last edited by Victoria; 11-29-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #115
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Great point about OHS and wearing heels. I find a lot of the older tv too provoking to watch as well and yet, like you, I can read late 19th / early 20th c fiction. Perhaps the tv is too recent, and we directly experienced it first time round? We’re cringing at our own history, not someone else’s.
Perhaps it's that cringe, though I suspect it has more to do with the immediacy of TV/Movies. Somehow, it's easier to distance myself from a book than from TV, though you're right that even on TV, when you go far enough back (as with period BBC dramas, for example), it's at enough distance to not be as provoking. Though I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed the HBO drama Gentleman Jack as both my DW and I rooted for Anne Lister to get her own back. A powerful and compelling woman who was castigated for both her gender and her sexual preferences. But mostly for beating men at their own game.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #116
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
People might enjoy this relevant comic strip.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #117
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
People might enjoy this relevant comic strip.
I just KNEW before I even moused over the link that it was going to be Kate Beaton
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #118
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Hah! I hadn’t come across Kate Beaton, but I can see I need to bookmark her site. Thanks, issybird.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #119
Victoria
Wizard

Fun issybird - thanks.