Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.16.13337

Kobo Firmware 4.16.13337

Kobo firmware 4.16.13337 has been released. As of September 11, 2019, it has been released to the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, and the Kobo Forma. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code

Last edited by geek1011; 09-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will update this post with things I discover.

Some facts about the Libra (in progress):
- Codename is storm
- ID is 384

Firmware changes (in progress):
- About view now shows advertised storage capacity.
- The new reader.
- Header/footer is now chapter(top)/book progress(bottom). There is an off setting for each. They are also smaller and less intrusive.
- There is a progress bar at the bottom of the screen, which can be turned off.
- The new reader status bar and toolbar at the top are quite a bit more compact. It also shows the current time on the top-right beside the battery level instead of cycling between percent read and so on.
- FeatureSettings::deeperReading - enables/disables the new interface, but note that disabling it can cause crashes and reboots (especially when changing reading settings)
- ReadingSettings::showNewTitle (TODO: test this)
- ReadingSettings::newBookProgressType (TODO: test this)
- Touch accuracy improvements.
- Fix for series name being cut off vertically.
- Pinch to zoom is either less sensitive or gone for PDFs (you can still double tap or use the controls).
- Many alignment issues in the UI have been fixed.
- Various large print mode fixes.
- Various annotation improvements.
- TODO

Other notes (in progress):
- This release will probably be replaced within the next week.
- The new reader is a bit laggy on older devices (especially the menu and opening a book; surprisingly, the page preview is still pretty quick).
- The font and stats panels are identical, they are just triggered differently (and stats is now labeled as Reading Progress).
- The selection movement bug/feature is not fixed.
- When patching the CSS (and the code), note that the new and old views are both there, and each needs to be patched. Due to this, I will only update that patches for the new interface, unless the old one is officially supported for the element in question (see FeatureSettings::deeperReading above for what I mean by this). This also means that I will deprecate patches which only apply to the old interface, such as the clock display duration one, unless it isn't too much work to update or it is in heavy demand.

Due to the amount of changes in this version, I won't be starting on the majority of the patches until this weekend.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-11-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
desterly
Enthusiast
desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: KV,Kobo Forma
Great to see it rolling out. A quick diff would seem to indicate very little has changed low level between 4.16 and 4.15 except for nickle and the firmware/drivers for the Libra.
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't have a Libra H2O, move along. There's nothing to see here. The generic links do not work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desterly View Post
Great to see it rolling out. A quick diff would seem to indicate very little has changed low level between 4.16 and 4.15 except for nickle and the firmware/drivers for the Libra.
Um, that's a bit of an understatement. The new reader view is in this version, along with a whole lot of new features. I just haven't documented them yet. This is also the firmware the newer reviewers were using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you don't have a Libra H2O, move along. There's nothing to see here. The generic links do not work.
They don't work, but I think (95% certain) this version should work fine on older devices, although I'm going to make sure of this tonight (no guarantees till then). Even so, I will probably want a Libra for the buttons, shape, natural light, and better screen.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-11-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Thank you !

- Tested on Kobo_Clara HD & function without problem.

- I have long waited for such an update by KOBO. I like the new features that have been added. Top!

Once again thank you for sharing
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
desterly
Enthusiast
desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: KV,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Um, that's a bit of an understatement. The new reader view is in this version, along with a whole lot of new features. I just haven't documented them yet. This is also the firmware the newer reviewers were using.
Well, yes... I meant that Qt/other core dependency versions didn't change.
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Yes...I was really hoping for a QtWebKit update, but at least some work NiLuJe and I have been doing (we'll probably release it after I finish the patches) with Qt doesn't have to be redone (hint: plugins).
Old 09-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
For the common user, that's a piece of information not very useful for decision and it can be understood in other way
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Kobo Firmware 4.16.13337

Kobo firmware 4.16.13337 has been released. As of September 11, 2019, it has been released to the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, and the Kobo Forma. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code
Wonderful release notes
Old 09-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I have to wait to Friday, I'm afraid, to test it in my Clara, as I don't want to lose the patches and I don't have them at this computer
Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have to wait to Friday, I'm afraid, to test it in my Clara, as I don't want to lose the patches and I don't have them at this computer
Will all the patches will be ported to this version firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Most will, many are not needed anymore, and others will have to be completely rewritten. I posted a bit about this in the Libra thread.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Does one always have to reinstall patches after a firmware update?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't really know, I'm going to try with my patch file, checking which work and which not. If some of them doesn't work, I'll wait for this at the new patches from geek101.

Tags
firmware, kobo, kobofirmware, libra