Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2024, 01:19 AM   #1
MonicaOP
Connoisseur
MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Oasis
When I erased collections from one Kindle Oasis they got erased from both of them!!

Hi, well I have 2 kindle Oasis, one 9th and one 10th.

When I bought the last one I erased the 9th one completely 'cause it was giving me a lot of issues, but yesterday I decided to get some of my other fandom fanfics in the old Oasis and when I did this, I erased the collections that I didn't need from the 9th Oasis, but when I opened the 10th Oasis the collections I had were erased and it only let the ones I had in the 9th!!

I checked my Amazon account and my previous collections are gone, what do I do?? I don't have the time to fix everything again, this last months have been really difficult and now this??

Please, please, is there any way to recover my collections??? Be well, Monica
MonicaOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:33 AM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Thats's really unfortunate but I think it's an intended effect of cloud collections that their state stays in sync on all platforms (even if their state is ‘non-existent’).
I think there’s nothing you can do except rebuild them (and then only download them on the device you want them on; they will still be visible in the ‘all’ section of your library though).
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2024, 05:34 AM   #3
MonicaOP
Connoisseur
MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Thats's really unfortunate but I think it's an intended effect of cloud collections that their state stays in sync on all platforms (even if their state is ‘non-existent’).
I think there’s nothing you can do except rebuild them (and then only download them on the device you want them on; they will still be visible in the ‘all’ section of your library though).
I just don't get it!! I have had Kindles from over 12 years and this was never an issue.

I'm so tired of the way Amazon manages the Kindle software!!
MonicaOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:54 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaOP View Post
I just don't get it!! I have had Kindles from over 12 years and this was never an issue.

I'm so tired of the way Amazon manages the Kindle software!!
Twelve year old kindles have device specific collections. But probably any Kindle that has come out in last 6-7 years (if not longer) syncs them with cloud. It meets the expectations of most customers, especially if one reads on more than one device.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Simple. If you want Amazon to manage your devices and everything that's on them, get a Kindle. If you want to manage your devices yourself without anyone else remotely interfering, get anything besides a Kindle.

Funnily enough, I was a Kindle fan for many years and defended Kindles in several arguments here. But the direction Amazon has been heading in recent years (pushing their cloud constantly, in everything, and actively trying to discourage people from sideloading - presumably because they can't data mine you if your Kindle is offline) has made me really dislike them. Yeah, I know, Google, Microsoft et al do the same. Still, so far neither Google nor Microsoft have tried to remotely micromanage everything on my Android and Windows devices. I can opt out of any remote syncing if I want; with Amazon, I no longer can.

Remote syncing isn't necessarily a bad thing - I do use it with some things. But I want to have a choice in the matter, and I want to decide what and when to sync. Amazon has taken that choice away from me (unless I keep my (hypothetical) Kindle offline all the time).

End of rant.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2024, 04:41 PM   #6
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
(...) and actively trying to discourage people from sideloading
Well, Amazon just made it easier to transfer ePub to Kindle, by converting the ePub to their format. You can send it by email, from their website or from a desktop app. And all those ebooks will sync with your other devices. Pretty discouraging... ;-)
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:13 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Well, Amazon just made it easier to transfer ePub to Kindle, by converting the ePub to their format. You can send it by email, from their website or from a desktop app. And all those ebooks will sync with your other devices. Pretty discouraging... ;-)
They've had that for years inc KDP uses epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:51 PM   #8
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They've had that for years inc KDP uses epub.
Thanks for the very enlightening comment.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:59 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's not sideloading. That's using their cloud to get the books to your Kindle. Of course they want you to do that.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:32 PM   #10
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
That's not sideloading. That's using their cloud to get the books to your Kindle. Of course they want you to do that.
I know.

Just curious : If you don't like Kindle and don't use one, why do you comment and follow posts in this section.

Last edited by deleted2; 02-28-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:08 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I know.

Just curious : If you don't like Kindle and don't use one, why do you comment and follow posts in this section.
During her 10 years at mobileread, Sirtel has shared a lot of correct and useful information, and also her informed opinions. She has owned and heavily used kindles, kobos, and other readers for years. She always provides the reasoning behind her opinions.

She also provides help for problems with readers that she has used, even when she no longer owns them. When that is the case, she points it out.

On top of all that, she has posted many welcome messages in the introduction forum.

I think she is among the most helpful members at mobileread. She seems to like to share her knowledge and experience. Why do you question that?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:17 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I know.

I've used them in the past and retain some nostalgic affection for them. I also still have some interest in their future development. It's still not impossible I might get one again in the future, but I admit it's looking less and less likely.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:17 PM   #13
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Why do you question that?
Because some old timers here often share opinions, critics, more than help. If I need help with my ereader, I don't need to be lectured for my choice.

I don't use a Kobo anymore, but I did for a long time. When I can help in the Kobo section, I gladly do.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:22 PM   #14
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
I've used them in the past and retain some nostalgic affection for them. I also still have some interest in their future development. It's still not impossible I might get one again in the future, but I admit it's looking less and less likely.
Ah, nostalgia.

Hoping that your old lover has finally changed.

These days, with Calibre, I'm emailing all my ebooks to my Kindle. After that, I open the Kindle app on my Mac and set the ebook in the right collection. I organised my ebooks by genre. I miss the complete metadata that the Kobo had. But I prefer Kindle's hardware and software. For now, at least. Like you, I'm still checking what Kobo is doing.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:29 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because some old timers here often share opinions, critics, more than help. If I need help with my ereader, I don't need to be lectured for my choice.

I don't use a Kobo anymore, but I did for a long time. When I can help in the Kobo section, I gladly do.
Sharing an opinion is not lecturing. Have I criticised you for using a Kindle or told you not to use one? Feel free to use what you want, but others are as free to say what they think of the device you use.

You don't think people should have personal opinions about devices and companies they've come into contact with, or if they have, only share them if they're positive?