Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2024, 03:25 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekxp View Post
How is SendToKindle epub conversions compared to Calibre’s?
With Calibre you have control over image size and quality. It's more environmentally friendly and faster (STK uses the Internet twice) and the only size limit is what the Kindle will manage. Also private and secure. STK has size limits and issues of security and privacy. It's not a mere transport arrangement.

There is also a limit with Amazon STK on embedded fonts.

Also the Kindle charges while connected to Calibre and no risk of book or cover deletion or FW updates. I don't turn on Kindle WiFi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 10:59 AM   #17
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
With Calibre you have control over image size and quality. It's more environmentally friendly...
Can you explain how sideloading with Calibre is more environmentally friendly than SendToKindle?
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2024, 03:33 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Can you explain how sideloading with Calibre is more environmentally friendly than SendToKindle?
How much electricity do you think these use?
Amazon Server farm for conversion
Amazon Server farm for library
Internet connection with Amazon twice using fibre
or twice using a router or phone as a WiFi with PC then Kindle hotspot on Mobile/Cell.
or Upload from PC via whatever and download to Kindle via Mobile / Cell.

Note that per Mbyte the Cell/Mobile system uses 1000s of times more electricity at your end than Fibre or even DSL or Cable. You can of course argue that all of these are running 24/7 even if you don't use them. The Amazon STK is a service that suits Amazon (they get copies of everything) and is essentially for files made for their competitors, so helps lock you in. It's for the majority of Kindle users that have no idea Calibre exists or are too lazy to learn how to use it. STK isn't altruistic.

Your PC/Mac/Linux is running anyway as is the Kindle and the Kindle might even charge while transferring from Calibre.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-29-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:44 PM   #19
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Now that I got familiar with STK, I have now stopped side loading with USB. What a joy it is to send the EPUB file with STK and just see your book appear on Kindle without playing around with laptop and cables. Also, I enjoy the fact that while I mainly read on my Kindle, I have an option to read on my phone which syncs the reading progress on both devices.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:54 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
Now that I got familiar with STK, I have now stopped side loading with USB. What a joy it is to send the EPUB file with STK and just see your book appear on Kindle without playing around with laptop and cables. Also, I enjoy the fact that while I mainly read on my Kindle, I have an option to read on my phone which syncs the reading progress on both devices.
Me too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2024, 08:47 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
I love STK. Back in the day, if there was a pd book I wanted to read rightnow, I'd use the Kobo browser and download it to the device at hand. Which was fine, of course. But once I got a Kindle, STK was so much easier and faster and it meant the book was in my account and not device-restricted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:50 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I love STK. Back in the day, if there was a pd book I wanted to read rightnow, I'd use the Kobo browser and download it to the device at hand. Which was fine, of course. But once I got a Kindle, STK was so much easier and faster and it meant the book was in my account and not device-restricted.
Do eBooks put on a Kindle via STK remain and not get deleted when WiFi is on?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:24 AM   #23
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do eBooks put on a Kindle via STK remain and not get deleted when WiFi is on?
They do not get deleted. And as I said in another thread, sideloaded books getting deleted did happen to a bunch of people, but it was a bug - it is not Amazon's policy. It seemed to be kindles that hadn't connected to wi-fi in a long time, and something glitched. But you keep posting that Amazon deletes all sideloaded books, always, whenever you connect to wi-fi, and that's not true. So lay off, ok?
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote