Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2024, 07:04 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Oh, no!

I'm not manually updating this update since it sounds pointless to me, but hopefully this bug is fixed before it forces update since I use custom fonts all the time
I don't think it is a bug with this update, and it didn't wipe out mine. Custom fonts are still supported.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:07 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I had the same issue with my custom fonts. A delete and recopy seems to have fixed it for me as well. Admittedly, it was before December 24, 2023 the last time I used my Paperwhite and that book did not use any of the custom fonts so they may have been missing for a while.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-10-2024 at 07:09 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 10:20 PM   #33
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Does it still delete all your side-loaded books every time you take it out of airplane mode? I have been burned by this too many times, and then have to reload them and then figure out where I left off reading in each book.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:24 PM   #34
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
There's a new option that set the light brightness (not the warm one) depending on the hour of the day, or I never noticed it?
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 12:37 AM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Does it still delete all your side-loaded books every time you take it out of airplane mode? I have been burned by this too many times, and then have to reload them and then figure out where I left off reading in each book.
Which Kindle model are you using?

If you are using calibre I would ask on that forum here and supply more details.

I have not seen any reports like this, nor have I experienced it myself. 'Disappearing thumbnails', yes.
Advert
Old 01-11-2024, 01:13 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have not seen any reports like this, nor have I experienced it myself. 'Disappearing thumbnails', yes.
There have been several complaints in the last while from people who had sideloaded content disappear from their Kindles. Some of them had been using their Kindle offline for weeks/months and the content disappeared when they either deliberately or accidentally connected their Kindle to a WiFi network.

At this point, there does not seem to be enough data to say why this happens.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:17 PM   #37
Frost015
Frost015 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
I share the concern for the font size of the new config UI. It's easier to navigate but it got too small to be honest. I don't have vision problems but I can see why some people dislike it. The new options are cool though. The only problem I've faced with this new update so far is the group in series option. It has disappeared and now I'm forced with my books grouped by series in the library tab.
Frost015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:40 PM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There have been several complaints in the last while from people who had sideloaded content disappear from their Kindles. Some of them had been using their Kindle offline for weeks/months and the content disappeared when they either deliberately or accidentally connected their Kindle to a WiFi network.

At this point, there does not seem to be enough data to say why this happens.
Yes, we need more data.

The number of people successfully side loading without this issue vastly outnumbers those that have this issue, or we would have the data.

I do think that Kindles that now have an actual, synchronized system time may not have this issue at all.

I cited the example of replacing Scribe Notebooks prior to the update. The overwritten notebook would revert to what was synced to the cloud, because the timestamp on the side loaded notebook was 'older'. I think that's why thumbnails disappeared as well.

In this case I may guess that user does not have the book in their Kindle library, but has ASIN encoded in metadata. When it syncs content, it tries to match it up with the Kindle library, fails, and concludes the content is corrupt, and does not list it in the UI.

Of course that is some sort of bug, and in the past I've read here that people have intentionally added ASIN to turn on some features, but I never did that myself, so I don't know if something has changed that makes doing that problematic.

I think it is possible the content is still on the device, just not listed in the UI. So that is what I would want to check before concluding it was 'removed'.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-11-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:03 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I think it is possible the content is still on the device, just not listed in the UI. So that is what I would want to check before concluding it was 'removed'.
At least two reports have stated that the content is no longer in the directory that calibre sent it to. There is also a report in another online forum that all "liberated" KU content was removed—that person I'm somewhat lacking in sympathy for.

One possibility that I am curious about is since using Amazon to add the metadata to a file in calibre also adds the ASIN to the list of IDs and if calibre is sending the books to the device as a book and not as a document and the ASIN is being added as part of the updated metadata in the ebook, that a routine that checks for expired/deleted/returned content such as KU after a lengthy offline period is also removing those books since they would not match a book listed as current content by Amazon.

Since my Paperwhite is used more for viewing content as part of my editing/formatting workflow and not for reading (my Sage is my go-to reading device), I'm not that interested in testing this theory.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:20 AM   #40
Sumanuil
Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle (10th Generation)
Quote:
Yes, we need more data.
It was doing this to me. It removed all sideloaded AZW3s, but not PDFs or TXTs. After the update, it hasn't done so again (yet). I went directly from 5.16.4 to 5.16.6, and I installed the update via USB, if that helps. I also remove any DRM before sideloading, if that matters.

Last edited by Sumanuil; 01-12-2024 at 03:24 AM.
Sumanuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:04 AM   #41
davedeacon
Enthusiast
davedeacon began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite Kindle 5 11th gen 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost015 View Post
I share the concern for the font size of the new config UI. It's easier to navigate but it got too small to be honest. I don't have vision problems but I can see why some people dislike it. The new options are cool though. The only problem I've faced with this new update so far is the group in series option. It has disappeared and now I'm forced with my books grouped by series in the library tab.
I also think the new settings screens' font is too small. I guess it was chosen by whoever set the font for this page:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwarerel...O7P/en_GB.html

Other than that I like the new update.

One thing: if I set it to automatically update time I get the timezone "europe/belfast". I'm in England! I guess it's working out my timezone then taking the first entry in the list. Let's see if they listen to customer feedback!
davedeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:52 AM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Europe: Lisbon, London, Belfast and Dublin (Edinburgh and Cardiff too) are the same time zone and will remain so as long as both UK rejects abolishing the twice a year time hop and Belfast is in the United Kingdom.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:15 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanuil View Post
It was doing this to me. It removed all sideloaded AZW3s, but not PDFs or TXTs. After the update, it hasn't done so again (yet). I went directly from 5.16.4 to 5.16.6, and I installed the update via USB, if that helps. I also remove any DRM before sideloading, if that matters.
Were you side loaded AZW3’s converted from ePub or AZW3 downloaded from your Amazon Digital Content page?
Old 01-12-2024, 08:15 PM   #44
Sumanuil
Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle (10th Generation)
Quote:
Were you side loaded AZW3’s converted from ePub or AZW3 downloaded from your Amazon Digital Content page?
Some of each. Both would get deleted.
Sumanuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:18 PM   #45
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanuil View Post
Some of each. Both would get deleted.
Thanks, and which Kindle model is this?