Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2024, 02:00 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Why there's no Print Replica titles for Scribe

I think I have figured out why you cannot get more titles in Print Replica format for Scribe. It has to do with the Sharing of pen annotations.

For Personal Documents, you can share the entire content of the document, with pen annotations and highlights rendered to a PDF. You can also export a Notebook with highlights, text notes, and reduced-sized pages with pen annotations on them.

I have only purchased two Write On books: a Sudoku puzzle book and a Journal book (free). The former only allows export of bookmarks, text notes and highlights (as if there would be any point to exporting those types). The Journal book lets you export a notebook with those types, plus the reduced-sized images of pages you have made annotations to. Neither allows exporting the complete book.

A publisher that wanted to allow a textbook to download to Scribe would likely not be happy with any export that included the reduced-size images of their copyrighted material. And customers would not be happy that their pen annotations cannot be shared or exported at all, or that they cannot make any pen annotations in the first place.

In some cases it might be possible to export only clipped regions, but would not cover case where one drew a box around all of the page content. Amazon could include a copyright message on the images, but that probably wouldn't satisfy publishers, and the copyright message would need to be specific to the book/publisher.

One possible workaround would be to allow sticky notes in Print Replica. Then one could still use pen to write handwritten inline notes, and there would not be issues with exporting them. But that is not implemented. And probably that would not satisfy customer expectations.

I have to play with my PocketBook readers to see how they handle exporting handwritten annotation. But none of the reading material I have for it has DRM so I'm not sure that's a good guide.

How does Kobo do things?

As things are, if there are Print Replica titles I'm interested in, I'll probably get them from Google Play Books store instead. Many of those can be downloaded as PDF and have DRM removed, at which point I can have full access to them on Scribe once they're converted to Print Replica.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:13 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Kobo epubs have text annotations that export and pen ones that don't.
The PDFs on Kobo are simply PDFs, so simply copy back to PC and there is an extra image layer of the pen annotation. Nebo isn't used for PDFs, only notebooks, which have no connection to PDFs or epubs.

I'd use Nebo on my TCL Nxtpaper 11 if I want PDF annotation. Simple "draw on it" in Xodo and for text annotation with pen writing converted to text and drawing, import PDF to Nebo (also full version on iPad, but not on Kobo Sage/Elipsa). Then PDF can be exported. The "drawing" is one layer and the converted text is a text layer which can copy/paste into any text editor from PDF program on PC.

I ony use the Sage now for epub text annotation and epub reading, of viewing PDF manuals small enough. All PDF and notes are now only on my Nxtpaper 11.
The Kobo Sage & Elipsa notes (Nebo notebooks, not annotations) are a cut down version of Nebo to suit eink. They can be imported to iOS (full version) or Android Nebo (no demo version) and work. Nebo is 3rd in Android Productivity apps.

The Scribe seems overly complicated for PDFs compared to Kobo Sage/Elipsa or decent apps on Android /iOS. However on the TCL Nxtpaper 11 Android 13 comes close to eink "nice to read" and beats eink for scans as PDFs. It's only bettered by Sage 8″ for mono epubs and beats the Elipsa even for epubs in Pocketbook. I use Pocketbook to read 2 page up PDFs were layout is important because Xodo has right page starting on left
Sage only good for 1 page up layout.

Also I have the Kindle App on the NxtPaper 11. I might buy a print replica Kindle, which of course can't be bought for any of my eink Kindles. Only reflowable titles that work on eink should ever have been called Kindle ebooks. It's a pain discovering they can't be bought for eink. I've not had PC Kindle since 2016.

Edit:
I'm interested in "The Marvels of Rigomer" (English Translation of 1988) and it's not on Playstore or Kobo or anywhere other than Amazon or pirates.
It's stupidly a print replica. I think no need. I think they simply used the PDF of the paper edition.

Edit 2:
You can download a sample in the Kindle App. Does need 10″ or larger screen as it's decorative double column fixed layout, though seems poorly formatted.
@tomsem Is the sample available on Scribe if "add to Library"?

Also I remove DRM from everything I buy, but not loans, because otherwise I don't really have the purchase. However some ebooks on Playstore can only be read in Google's Playbook App (though my test subjects were free Manga style Harlequin series comics. There is no download (= Export) option, otherwise the DRM on Playstore ebooks, if requested by publisher, is Adobe.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-07-2024 at 12:33 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote