Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I agree, Having owned several Sammy phones, I’ll grant that they are somewhat conservative regarding software/firmware upgrades.

If only the Xoom would fit in my pocket! :sigh:
I can agree with that. I have found myself quite a few occasions using my DroidX rather that the Xoom.

Good to have choice!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #62
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm currently sporting a Nook with CM7(Gingerbread). While I wasn't too impressed with the stock nook, the CM7 ROM works great and I really like it.

There are and will be better 7" tablets, but at the price of $250 none are better.

=X=
Just missed a used one...not certain I want to pony up for the full price....
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #63
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You better pick one up quick. Because right now the choice is very easy. Give it a few more months and I think there is going to be a lot more great choices out on the market.

Having to chose from LG Optimus, Toshiba, Samsung, Dell, and Lenova. The choices will not be easy.

While Samsung does have horrible support, they make quality products and always have a strong dev community support because of it.

=X=

Yeah I agree with you on Sammy's hardware, especially their screens. They could lure me in like a moth to a lightbulb. If they put the Super AmoLED screen. Oh my goodness, Must resist .........
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #64
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But the funny thing is, most Apple users actually believe they have the best products with the most advanced functionality.
Wrong. Most couldn't care less about the 'most advanced functionality'. If they do care, they buy something else.

This is the bias us tech geeks often have: that more tech = better. It's not always the case.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #65
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Cool, thanks for confirming; as time goes on I'm sure the kinks'll get ironed out e.g. The Amazon thing.
They might have had better reviews and thus better sales if they had ironed the kinks out before releasing it...

Quote:
It’s packed with features and ideas that almost work extremely well if not for some damned-fool quirk that should have been eradicated early in the testing process.

Take the notification bar. Yup, I’m a fan. But its presence at the bottom edge of the screen makes it almost impossible to pick up or hold the XOOM by its longest edge without accidentally going to the Home screen, or bringing up a volume control, or exposing a notification. That’s a problem; you’re going to spend a lot of time shifting this pound-and-a-half device around in your hand.

Another thing about that widescreen display: when you hold the XOOM in its most natural orientation, vertical screen real estate is at a severe premium. And yet the notification bar will always eat up a half an inch of that space; you can’t “hide” it temporarily.

It’s even worse when you’re using the browser. The app’s layout — which you can’t reconfigure — includes a half an inch for the tab bar and a half an inch for the address bar. Throw in the notification bar and you’re left with a strip of screen the dimensions of a dollar bill for the actual webpage.

Details, details, details.
And thats a positive review:

Quote:
The XOOM is a powerful, functional alternative to the iPad. It’s nicely-built, it’s fast, and it can fill the same sort the sort of role in your life as the iPad.
http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...e-to-ipad.html

Last edited by RockdaMan; 03-28-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #66
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
They might have had better reviews and better sales if they had ironed the kinks out before releasing it...
It was a text book case of a botched product launch.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #67
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wrong. Most couldn't care less about the 'most advanced functionality'. If they do care, they buy something else.

This is the bias us tech geeks often have: that more tech = better. It's not always the case.
I agree with the second part --- at least as far as the technophobes are concerned. Unfortunately the other companies are following in Apple's footsteps in this dumbing down of devices. But virtually all the Apple users I met and know genuinely believe that they have "magical" and "revolutionary" products on their hands that are light years ahead of the competition. And some Apple users know and care -- otherwise why would jailbreaking be such a big thing?

Not so Android users, who are much more open about the faults of their systems. Google must be taken to task for not taking on some silly, wide known problems (here comes my PPTP VPN rant again!). Take me, I would prefer WebOS at this stage of the game. But they don't make a 5" phone.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-28-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #68
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

I don't know if I agree with that. I think that is root of many of the android vs iOs debates. Many iPhone/iPad fans do act llike they have the best and really have no idea why.

It's kinda like if a Bose fan goes onto an audiophile forum and claims Bose is the best in audio, it becomes a similiar reaction. They think they have the best because of the perception. But most Bose fans don't know the difference between a woofer and a tweeter but they feel they have the best.

It's the same with iPhone and iPad owners, not all, but the majority.
take a look at the video above and go to the part of the guy from China, that really is a true reflection of the majority of apple product owners.

Last edited by boswd; 03-28-2011 at 10:54 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #69
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. I think that is root of many of the android vs iOs debates. Many iPhone/iPad fans do act llike they have the best and really have no idea why.
No matter what you or I say... best is highly subjective. Was Beta Max "best" or was "VHS"? Many will say Beta Max was better technically, but VHS won out because there is more to a product then technical specs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #70
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

It's the same with iPhone and iPad owners, not all, but the majority.
There is no single way to confirm or reject your statement. I doubt it is the truth.

Quote:
Isn’t it always amazing how many of those mindless “Apple fans” there are? Millions and millions of them! What motivates them? Well, there’s some disagreement as to whether it’s zealotry or the reality distortion field, but what we know for sure is that it’s not the ease of use, reasonable price point, and robust ecosystem of the iPad! As if!
http://remacable.com/2011/03/28/zealots/
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #71
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I agree with the second part --- at least as far as the technophobes are concerned. Unfortunately the other companies are following in Apple's footsteps in this dumbing down of devices. But virtually all the Apple users I met and know genuinely believe that they have "magical" and "revolutionary" products on their hands that are light years ahead of the competition.
And at the time it was released, that (leaving the hyperbole aside) was true of the iPad, it was miles ahead of the competition. Now the competition have caught up. (And may have passed)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #72
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And at the time it was released, that (leaving the hyperbole aside) was true of the iPad, it was miles ahead of the competition. Now the competition have caught up. (And may have passed)
As you can see above, I always talked about the iphone only. The ipad definitely wasn't revolutionary, but visionary. Fujitsu and HP made better tablets years ago, but they were much more expensive, heavier, and less suited for media consumption. By turning out a giant ipod Apple did create a new market, even though I don't see the post PC world coming yet.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #73
kennyc

Quote:
There is no single way to confirm or reject your statement. I doubt it is the truth.

Oh yes there is. All it takes is observation. Your behavior as well as all the Apple "supporters."

You just don't see loads of people acting that way over Blackberry smart phones.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:

Isn’t it always amazing how many of those mindless “Apple fans” there are? Millions and millions of them! What motivates them? .

Yes many believe in God but there is absolutely no proof. Many believe in voodoo or life after death or thousands of other things that have no basis in reality. Many may believe something but that doesn't make it true

See the Bill O'Reilly thread....
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #75
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You just don't see loads of people acting that way over Blackberry smart phones.
How hard did you look?
http://forums.crackberry.com/f45/
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote