Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
jpottle
jpottle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Sync Problems on 3 different Kobo Minis (related to software update?)

There are 4 Kobo Minis in my family (myself, my daughter, and both my parents have one). Of the 3 of us who bought new books this week (and got the latest software update), all 3 of our Kobos have stopped syncing properly. They say they are syncing, "Loading Content", etc... but the newly downloaded books do not show up. We tried this over wi-fi and using the Desktop app.

We found a workaround where we can browse to the bookstore and find the book we just purchased, and download it that way. It is much less convenient than the sync, though.

If 3/4 of us in our family are experiencing this problem, I would guess that it is widespread. It will probably be 4/4 next time my mother tries to sync!

Thanks for any help.
jpottle
jpottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have seen that sort of thing as well. It seems to have gotten better with recent firmware. But, it occasionally still happens. For me, it happens more home than work. My home connection is a lot slower than work. Plus it is a bit flakier.

One thing I have seen is that after a power off and on, the sync always seems to work. I could see that his is reloading the software and resetting the hardware to clear everything up. Not a satisfactory solution, but it might help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
jpottle
jpottle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Already Tried Resetting

Thanks for the suggestion! However, powering on and off again was the first thing we tried, and it didn't help. We have also tried:
1. resetting with the little hole on the back,
2. logging out and back in again (didn't realize that would delete ALL the books! And since sync doesn't work, we had to put them back on one-by-one),
3. checking the date and time since we saw folks had trouble due to the time being off,
4. Using the Desktop App instead of syncing over Wi-Fi,
5. Look at the sqlite file in sqlite Expert (I copied the KoboReader.sqlite file off the device and opened it in the sql program to see if it was corrupted - it is not).

I think that's about it. But nothing seems to be able to fix this. The only thing I can think of I haven't tried is a factory reset.

Surely we're not the only ones having this problem! It would be too big a coincidence for all three of our Kobo Minis to be messed up and nobody else's!

jpottle
jpottle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo mini, software, sync