Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
then you would love Android phones, I think I paid for one app and all my Apps are mainstream ones

heck even Angry Birds is free on the Android Market Place.
Forced 2-year data plans or overpriced contract free phones are deal breakers. It's why I don't have a smartphone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I agree. I think that if that was the intent all along and had been disclosed, many probably would not have rooted. They just would've waited.
Are you gonna unroot?
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Are you gonna unroot?
I wasn't referring to myself; I would've rooted anyway. I just know that people were stressing because they couldn't get it to work. Others are having difficulty getting some functionality.

At this time I have no plan to unroot. I may have to, temporarily, to get the updated eReader functionality many seek.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Holy cow. Gonna have to swing by B&N and take another look at this. Between this news and the fact I could effectively get 40 dollars off (40 dollars in free groceries if I buy 200 bucks in B&N gift cards there), I might have to take the PDN back.

Just wish the screen weren't so darn skinny. I want to read PDF books in landscape.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amafan View Post
I don't need another Angry Birds, or Resident Evil app. Sorry kids, but reading books and watching a little The Office is enough entertainment for me most of the time. I'm 59, BTW.
I gotta have Angry Birds.

Someone needs to design a game for us book lovers:

Angry Books - somewhat content with Amazon's pricing, bibliophiles happily read their lives away ...until one day, a storm reared it's ugly head on the horizon - the Agency Model. Now watch as angry readers launch their books into the evil publishers in an attempt to crush this insidious evil wrought upon mankind.
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
I gotta have Angry Birds.

Angry Books - somewhat content with Amazon's pricing, bibliophiles happily read their lives away ...until one day, a storm reared it's ugly head on the horizon - the Agency Model. Now watch as angry readers launch their books into the evil publishers in an attempt to crush this insidious evil wrought upon mankind.
Well said, you may have a winner there!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #22
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Forced 2-year data plans or overpriced contract free phones are deal breakers. It's why I don't have a smartphone.
ahhh but that is all changing you can find more and more android phones being offered for no contract packages.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Too cute!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
ahhh but that is all changing you can find more and more android phones being offered for no contract packages.
But their prices are too high. They need to be priced in the iPod touch range.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I found this interesting:
"The Nook I looked at had apps loaded via the SD card slot".

If installing APK files from an SD card is allowed, than even if you get no access to the full Android market, you can install any app as an APK file from the SD card.
If you have an Android phone you can create an APK file from any app that is installed on your phone. You can also find APK files on the internet.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I found this interesting:
"The Nook I looked at had apps loaded via the SD card slot".

If installing APK files from an SD card is allowed, than even if you get no access to the full Android market, you can install any app as an APK file from the SD card.
If you have an Android phone you can create an APK file from any app that is installed on your phone. You can also find APK files on the internet.
Are you saying that a stock NOOKcolor allows installation of apps that are on a storage card?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #27
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Are you saying that a stock NOOKcolor allows installation of apps that are on a storage card?
Not with the current firmware. But according to the article the Android 2.2 update NC does allow this.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Not with the current firmware. But according to the article the Android 2.2 update NC does allow this.
Thanks. Just wanted you to clarify for our viewing audience.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

2.2 will add a tremendous amount of value to the Color. If the Color would've launched with 2.2, I bet B&N could've easily sold it at a higher price; say $300.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amafan View Post
I hope we see Skype
This one might be a little tough to pull off.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color