Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #31
Cosmic
Cosmic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
My issue was that without fail ANY book I tried opened the first time and froze the 2nd. Regular as clockwork.
Me too, I could replicate the freez each time. And I only could unfreez the device by connecting it to the PC, deleting the book and reloading it with calibre.

Anyway, I just connected my device and used the Kobo Utilities-plugin to take a look at the fonts. De reader font was already set in a font different than 'Document default' (it was in Gill Sans).

I had the impression the page was loading 'quicker' (sort of ...) if I set 'Document default' or another font (than Gill Sans).

Strangely enough, after this fiddling around with the Utilities plugin, the issue only comes up now and then when navigating from the home screen tot the book I am reading.
Furthermore, now I can unfreez the screen by tapping the menu at the top of the screen followed by tapping the text-area of the device. After this, the text magically reappears?!

Can any of the Kobo- or calibre-wizards help out here. Obviously, I'm willing to send out logs of the device or perform some tests.

Last edited by Cosmic; 10-04-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
GalaxianUK
GalaxianUK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Talking Happens to me all the time

Navigating from a book to home and back again causes a 'freeze' for kepubs sent to the device using the calibre extended plugin.

My workaround is to tap and hold the screen which brings up a dictionary definition of the insible word; dismissing the dictionary results in the book loading every time.
GalaxianUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #33
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had the same problem here as many others. Something's definitely funky with the 2.8.1 firmware. Hopefully the problem is fixed in the next release.

For me, tapping the menu area the top of the screen and then dismissing the menu dropdown displays the book. Before that, it will be a blank screen with Loading... on the bottom. Happens with kepubs (that worked great on prior firmwares), tried removing all embedded fonts: no dice, no other tweaks on.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #34
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I've had the same problem here as many others. Something's definitely funky with the 2.8.1 firmware. Hopefully the problem is fixed in the next release.

For me, tapping the menu area the top of the screen and then dismissing the menu dropdown displays the book. Before that, it will be a blank screen with Loading... on the bottom. Happens with kepubs (that worked great on prior firmwares), tried removing all embedded fonts: no dice, no other tweaks on.
I had the same problem. Never got the .kepub I was reading to reopen again, and had to delete it.

I tried the suggestion of buffaloseven, and tapped the top of the screen in the middle, and got some menu to open. After dismissing this menu, the page was now loading fine!

For me this is a great solution so thanks a lot!
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #35
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
I just went back to normal epubs, other than the annoyingly large footer it is all working ok for now.
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #36
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're sending .kepubs to the device through jgougen's extended driver, make sure you have your reference.kepub.epub file in the right place. I had mine inside a KoboTouchExtended folder in Calibre's plugin folder, and it seems like it was changed to the root plugin director at some point. When I moved the file out of the folder into the root plugin folder and re-sent my books to the device any freezing on load problems vanished.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
Yes! You were right! I updated calibre, removed all plugins and reloaded the newest Kobotouchextended plugin. Everything seems to be working perfectly.
Thank you for your reply!
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #38
joctoral
joctoral began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
I solved this problem by putting a small (and invisible image) on top of html file.

I also noticed that this problem occurs with some fonts while some other fonts (like Georgia) are fine. Another parameter is the length of html file in the epub.
joctoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #39
Intrance
Intrance began at the beginning.

I registered just to post in this thread. I've just bought my first e-book reader after reading e-books on my phone and tablet. It's an Kobo Aura 6".

After getting familiar with the device and Calibre + KoboExtended plugin, I managed to set it all up to my liking, only to have the exact issue described by the OP.

- Load a book, no problem
- Go back to homescreen
- Load back into the same book
- Frozen screen, only solved by holding on an invisible word for the dictionary, or tapping the book name and dismissing the menu again.

After lots of messing around, the only way I'm able to fix it is by using the "Use Full Book page numbers" option in the KoboTouchExtended plugin. I've just tested it with a couple of books, and where I was able to reproduce the problem 100% of the time before, it's now been fine each time (so far).

So unless someone finds a way to fix this, the solution might be to live without chapter pages remaining.

I hope this helps.
Intrance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura hd, crash, hangs, kepub