Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
My PRS-505 Needs to be Replaced :(

I own an Kindle 1 and Sony PRS-505. Between the two readers, I've been happy and pretty much decided to wait until January after all the announcements to upgrade either.

So having passed the temptation to upgrade my Kindle (for the better screen), my Sony's keys are starting to fail. Go figure.

So now I'm looking for a replacement for my Sony:
- Was very interested in the Pocketbook 360 but given there are devices coming out with better screens at the same price, it doesn't make sense unless I can get one in the $100-$115.
- Very interested in the new Sony (Pocket or Touch) but they feel overpriced given I really don't care about the touch screen.
- I love the Kindle 3 but will wailt for my K1 to die before getting another Kindle

Must haves:
- SD card capability or at least 2 GB storage
- collections or folders
- good battery life
- e-ink screen
- good support for epub and Adobe ADE
- portability (ability to carry in my handbag)
- Reliable/well-made
- good vendor support
~~
Would like to have
- I prefer page turn keys on the side as well as lower
- I prefer a user replaceable battery
- The ability to fit a lighted cover (i know the 360 doesn't meet this which is why I didn't get one months ago).

Suggestions? If I find great deal on used, I may even go that route and wait it out as planned. Otherwise, it will probably be new.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
terriluvsbooks
terriluvsbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Currently Kindle Fire and I Pad. Previously, k2, k4 and Sony 600
I have a Kindle 2 and just got a Sony Touch from Sears.com for 119.00. I love my Kindle but since my library started getting E books I decided to get a second reader. Only negative about the Touch is that the screen is darker without as much contrast between screen and letters. I also didn't care about the touch screen but now I love it. No smudge prints and it is silent when I turn pages. The buttons are also much quieter than the Kindle.

Good luck making a decision.
terriluvsbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post

Must haves:
- SD card capability or at least 2 GB storage
- collections or folders
- good battery life
- e-ink screen
- good support for epub and Adobe ADE
- portability (ability to carry in my handbag)
- Reliable/well-made
- good vendor support
This really sounds like a Sony probably PRS-650.

Or maybe one of the new PocketBooks shown at IFA Berlin; maybe 601
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If your PDF/Epub requirement is for Overdrive books, I'm thinking of a nook as my next reader (in spite of the reported battery life issue).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post

Or maybe one of the new PocketBooks shown at IFA Berlin; maybe 601
And the Pocketbooks will be Vizplex vs. Pearl.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Probably because I love my current Sony

I just think the new Sonys are overpriced compared to the Nook and Kindle.

I can't use the Nook's tiny LCD screen...no matter how hard I concentrate, I keep selecting the wrong options because it has a capacitive screen (and my finger nails get in the way of a direct finger touch). I am hoping that the new touchscreens on the Sony don't have this problem since they can use a stylus (unless it requires a special stylus and then that would render it useless for me). I also think the LCD screen on the nook is a waste of space - I really don't want anything bigger than my PRS-505 which fits perfectly/invisibly in my handbags.

And yes, if I buy a new reader at this point, I'll want the Pearl screen. The other option would be if I found a reliable used reader under $100.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic

I was very excited about the new Pearl screen and came very close to upgrading to the 650

...but I just couldn't justify the cost...don't really want/need a touchscreen and when I add a new cover to the price, it just didn't make sense.

A very generous MR reader saw my plight and gave me a great deal on her 505. So I was able to stick with the model that I love
Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Is a 5" screen too small for you? If not, I saw a post here somewhere that said Target has the 300 on sale for $75 or so. I would imagine that would fit the bill except it doesn't have an SD expansion slot.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote