Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Competition for e-ink

At the University of Cincinnati, scientists claim to have developed a a new liquid display type, which is meant to compete against e-ink.

Benefits of the EFD (ElectroFluidic Display):
  • Full colour display
  • Higher contrast than e-ink
  • Better reflectance than e-ink
  • Greater colour depth than e-ink
  • very small fluid chambers allow flexible displays

A new company, Gamma Dynamics, has been created to expedite commercialization.

http://www.uc.edu/news/NR.aspx?id=10068
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We get all these alternatives to eink yet where are they? What devices for sale use them? It's all good and such that there are alternatives, but what use are they if there are no devices for sale that use these alternative displays?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It sounds good, but notice what they don't say anything about yet - power consumption.

Their technology isn't yet "bi-stable". It requires a constant application of voltage to form an image.

Quite a long way t go yet before we see it in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
At the University of Cincinnati, scientists claim to have developed a a new liquid display type, which is meant to compete against e-ink.

Benefits of the EFD (ElectroFluidic Display):
  • Full colour display
  • Higher contrast than e-ink
  • Better reflectance than e-ink
  • Greater colour depth than e-ink
  • very small fluid chambers allow flexible displays

A new company, Gamma Dynamics, has been created to expedite commercialization.

http://www.uc.edu/news/NR.aspx?id=10068
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We get all these alternatives to eink yet where are they? What devices for sale use them? It's all good and such that there are alternatives, but what use are they if there are no devices for sale that use these alternative displays?
That's the difference between prototypes and real products. I always try to take stories like this with a few grains of salt. There have been LOTS of promising technology over the years that never made it out of an R&D lab because it either had too many problems or was impractical for large scale production. It seems every couple of weeks there's a story about the next "eInk killer", or whatever. I'll wait until I can actually buy one, before I get excited.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's the difference between prototypes and real products. I always try to take stories like this with a few grains of salt. There have been LOTS of promising technology over the years that never made it out of an R&D lab because it either had too many problems or was impractical for large scale production. It seems every couple of weeks there's a story about the next "eInk killer", or whatever. I'll wait until I can actually buy one, before I get excited.
Tech products can even make it out of R&D and then die in pre preduction (Bubble Memory) or be ready for release and die due to legal or financing problems (Wells Compustar).
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Naturally there's a very real chance that this technology never escapes the labs.

But that's how it is with new technology news. I don't really get the bitching. It is what it is.

If we all sat down and only dealt with what was here today we wouldn't even be able to make decent decisions about today because the expected future is a quite important part of the decisions we make here and now. A glimpse of a possible future isn't so bad, even though it isn't here the future still haunts the present.

But hey... in the future (sic!) I'll refrain from posting development news. I understand that we must only speak of things that are right here, right now.

Last edited by Laz116; 04-30-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just won't get excited until something actually gets released and not just a news flash.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just won't get excited until something actually gets released and not just a news flash.
And I just thought the news section was all about news flash.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But the news gets old the more we hear of some new technology to go one better than eink and then it never comes out in any product for sale.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
New news on what is apparantly old tech over at Treehugger.

Quote:
Lead researcher on the project Jason Heikenfeld states, "What we've developed breaks down a significant barrier to bright electronic displays that don't require a heavy battery to power them."
Quote:
Behind the display screen are two layers of liquid (oil and a pigment dispersion fluid like an inkjet fluid). Between the two layers are reflective electrodes. Think of these electrodes as a highly reflective mirror.
Quote:
Mirasol -- the technology that mimicks a butterfly's pigmentation for brightly colored displays -- is the closest competition, but still purportedly not as good as this latest breakthrough. The researchers expect that thanks to the ability to use current manufacturing equipment, we can expect to see the technology used for things like advertising displays in as little as three years.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Looks promising. However, the first post contains a link to an article written a year ago. Check out this link http://gammadynamics.net/news/aploct2010/
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
http://www.e-ink-info.com/new-electr...play-developed

says it is bi-stable...Looks promising (I know as long as it's not "on the shelf" it doesn't mean anything, and sometimes I'm also tired of those "revolutionary" products which will never see the light of the day for 90% of them, but it's still interesting and definitely belong in the news section).
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I only use my reader to read books... I have never read a paperback or hardback for that matter, in colours... I create the colours myself, if the book is good enough.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
silv
silv doesn't littersilv doesn't litter

Device: iRiver Cover Story & Cybook Gen3
Wait 10 years before the first product appears. At that time there will be flexible color eink displays the size of newspapers.
silv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
Looks promising. However, the first post contains a link to an article written a year ago.
That's not entirely unsurprising, considering that the post was written a year ago. April 2009, in fact.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote