Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Boston Public Library Network goes ePub

the Boston Public Library Network in Massachusetts has added ePub to it's eBook collection.

http://overdrive.bpl.org
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Boston talked about it here.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Boston talked about it here.
It really does not belong in the Kindle section since the Kindle cannot handle ePub with DRM.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-14-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It really does not belong in the Kindle section since the Kindle cannot handle ePub with DRM.
Yes it does because it relates to ePub becoming more dominant over the mobi books he's been getting from that library.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
the Boston Public Library Network in Massachusetts has added ePub to it's eBook collection.

http://overdrive.bpl.org
I assume this is using Adobe ADEPT (inept) DRM?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume this is using Adobe ADEPT (inept) DRM?

BOb
Yep, Overdrive uses Adobe DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So these ePub eBooks could be read using a 505 or 700 as long as they follow the Mobile ADE specification. The few that I have tried did work with my 505. So I'm pretty confident that most will work if not all.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yes it does because it relates to ePub becoming more dominant over the mobi books he's been getting from that library.
To me, this is something that is more of an announcement then something that should be hidden in any sort of device specific forum because with the announcement of ADE coming to Astak and Bookeen and maybe others, it will be of use to more then just Sony users.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Unfortunately, it appears that the Boston Public Library doesn't allow non-residents to purchase a library card. "Anyone individual who lives, works, attends school, or owns property in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and is at least 13 years of age may register for an eCard." I didn't find any exceptions.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What this says is that libraries are just starting to go ePub which will be good for the ePub format once more eink devices support ADE.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
To me, this is something that is more of an announcement then something that should be hidden in any sort of device specific forum because with the announcement of ADE coming to Astak and Bookeen and maybe others, it will be of use to more then just Sony users.
I didn't say that you shouldn't make a announcement in this forum about it. I just point to a thread that was talking about it as well. You're the one who complained about where it was posted.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I am hoping is that as libraries support ePub, they'll not support PDF as much.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
mea culpa

Admittedly, it never occured to me that I would actually have anything newsworthy to post here (guess I missed my opportunity )

Now I see my post has been moved to the Resources forum which I've never been in before
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Does anyone know of any websites tracking the kinds of ebooks the various libraries offer? It seems like at this stage it's different everywhere, different formats/rules and many don't offer them at all.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Does anyone know of any websites tracking the kinds of ebooks the various libraries offer? It seems like at this stage it's different everywhere, different formats/rules and many don't offer them at all.
you've seen our wiki page on the lending libraries, I'm sure.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

And you are correct......each library has its own format, rules, etc.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote