Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The mock-ups certainly don't look 16:9.
There have been so many fake mock ups, I see no reason to take any notice of them.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There have been so many fake mock ups, I see no reason to take any notice of them.
I have seen only 1, and the parts leaked (frame) are definitively not 16:9. Do you have any info that would suggest it could be 16:9?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Do you have any info that would suggest it could be 16:9?
Nope, I was speculating, just like everyone else.
It wouldn't surprise me for the next generation iPad to go to 16:9, so that all devices were the same aspect ratio though.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Well, I am going to speculate also.

I will go with a combination of the ideas I have seen for I believe that the mini iPad will be compromise.

A starting price of $250 to $300 price. If they go with $300 they will offer some iTunes coupons.
A 7" screen is probable, but a 6" screen is possible which would aid the $250 pricing point. It depends on their long range plans for the iPod Touch.

It will be a good screen, but only "near" Retina and "near" IPS are necessary if they go with the $250 price.

Now that is one approach, perhaps with a slightly above 50% chance of realization.

The next approach will be one where the new sparkling jewel from Apple will have every thing including the kitchen sink in a 6" mini iPad. Everything! The best screen. The highest resolution An "Auto-focusing" camera. All the other goodies.
Then price this piece of "Premium Engineering at $650 to $700 and the Apple lovers will consider it another crown jewel and snap it up.
It will be like a sports car. Costly, but oh the "engineering." "Oh, the love!"
I myself think the Apple lovers will go for it.

Somewhere in Apple HDQRS on a big whiteboard on a wall, the ideas for the next 3 to 5 years are laid out from the legacy iPod to the latest futuristic iPad. The Apple marketing guys will be studying the latest buying trends over the world, across the market and asking engineering and production the price and delivery for the dreams up on that board.

The staff will argue and argue and present their thoughts to the new "big guy."

Then we will see if the magic still flies or is only to be a footnote along with the "history of Steve Jobs."

Last edited by frahse; 10-02-2012 at 02:47 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I will go with a combination of the ideas I have seen for I believe that the mini iPad will be compromise.
Not sure how it'll fit in with the rest of their devices. The new entry level iPod touch 5 is already priced high. Entry level prices:
  • $199 -- iPod touch 4 (16GB)
  • $299 -- iPod touch 5 (32GB)
  • $399 -- iPad 2 WiFi (16GB)
  • $499 -- iPad 3 WiFi (16GB)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not sure how it'll fit in with the rest of their devices. The new entry level iPod touch 5 is already priced high. Entry level prices:
So basically you can buy a Nook HD+ for the price of an ipod touch and have some spare change in your pocket. Given this table, there is no clear room for an iPad mini, though we know almost for certain that it is coming. Maybe $349?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
iPod and iPad don't compete with each other. People don't get iPod Touch because it is a cheap iPad, they get it because it will run most iPhone apps while not requiring a calling/data plan, yet it is light enough to go jogging with while listening to music. Like many people, I have both, and while there's some overlap in functionality, some things work best on an iPad and some things better on iPodTouch/iPhone. They're complementary.

The new iPod touch has the same price points as the previous generation, topping out at $399 just as before. They just don't have a 5G device at $199 to replace what used to be the 8GB IPod Touch (that price point is now filled by a 16GB 4G device).

My guess is that Mini would replace iPad2 at approximately its price points or a little lower (maybe with no 3/4G option). An 'entry level' iPad with the added advantage that it is more portable and gives people seeking that form factor an Apple option. If iPad2 were to stay in the current lineup (apart from refurbished units), I think it would cause too much 'confusion'. With its 'paltry' 132ppi display, it no longer stands apart from the competition in that price range and is there mostly to get people to get iPad3 once people compare them side by side), and should be retired. Mini would offer something new (assuming it has a retina screen @1536x2048).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #23
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
iPod and iPad don't compete with each other. People don't get iPod Touch because it is a cheap iPad, they get it because it will run most iPhone apps while not requiring a calling/data plan, yet it is light enough to go jogging with while listening to music. Like many people, I have both, and while there's some overlap in functionality, some things work best on an iPad and some things better on iPodTouch/iPhone. They're complementary.

The new iPod touch has the same price points as the previous generation, topping out at $399 just as before. They just don't have a 5G device at $199 to replace what used to be the 8GB IPod Touch (that price point is now filled by a 16GB 4G device).

My guess is that Mini would replace iPad2 at approximately its price points or a little lower (maybe with no 3/4G option). An 'entry level' iPad with the added advantage that it is more portable and gives people seeking that form factor an Apple option. If iPad2 were to stay in the current lineup (apart from refurbished units), I think it would cause too much 'confusion'. With its 'paltry' 132ppi display, it no longer stands apart from the competition in that price range and is there mostly to get people to get iPad3 once people compare them side by side), and should be retired. Mini would offer something new (assuming it has a retina screen @1536x2048).
You are a smart guy.

I agree with a lot of what you said.
I also agree with frahse that Apple might have one version on the lines of making a really fancy device. With a phone. It will be small enough like say a Galaxy Note or even a little larger. (6") An Auto Focus camera will be new to the Apple line as I understand it. The best screen.

As I understand it, they need the body to be thicker for the auto focus camera and that could make room for a better battery.

In fact I see a good possibility of TWO mini iPads.

That would attack the corners of the market that Apple has left to the also-rans up until this point.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
iPod and iPad don't compete with each other. People don't get iPod Touch because it is a cheap iPad, they get it because it will run most iPhone apps while not requiring a calling/data plan, yet it is light enough to go jogging with while listening to music.
To a point. But something else to consider is the narrowing gap between the two devices. Originally, we had a 3.5" iPod touch vs a 9.7" iPad. A huge difference in both size and price. Now we have a 4" touch with a possible 7.85" iPad mini. A much smaller difference in both size and price.

As screen sizes and prices get closer, some may opt only for a tablet; a choice Apple owners haven't had before. A mini would still be small enough to carry around while offering a larger display for web browsing, reading and videos; thereby negating the need for both devices. As to music, there are cheaper and better options than the touch.

Quote:
I know.

Quote:
My guess is that Mini would replace iPad2 at approximately its price points or a little lower (maybe with no 3/4G option). An 'entry level' iPad with the added advantage that it is more portable and gives people seeking that form factor an Apple option.
You're probably right there. A $349~$399 price point (depending on specs) would still leave the touch as a viable option for price sensitive consumers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
You're probably right there. A $349~$399 price point (depending on specs) would still leave the touch as a viable option for price sensitive consumers.
That's much too high. The competition is offering 7" for $199 and 9" for $269 (with "retina" screens). Granted, the $269 (Nook HD+) is not a full fledged tablet, but as a media consumption device, it would certainly do. I'm not certain the apple on the back would warrant such a premium - certainly not in my book.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
That's much too high. The competition is offering 7" for $199 and 9" for $269 (with "retina" screens). Granted, the $269 (Nook HD+) is not a full fledged tablet, but as a media consumption device, it would certainly do. I'm not certain the apple on the back would warrant such a premium - certainly not in my book.
It would definitely be much to high for me, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be immediately snatched up by millions.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it can't start at higher than $299 and I can't see how it could start lower than that. the pricing strategy just doesnt make sense when considered against the rest of the mobile line.

it's also not 6" or 7" , it's going to be closer to 8" and the last couple of days seems to have pegged it at 7.85"
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
it's a mockup for case manufacturers and displays for retail shops.
you could buy these on alibaba a few weeks back for $13 bux
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #29
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Probably not. A 7.85" retina would be yet another screen resolution, so it is more likely to be 1024x768, like the iPads 1 & 2. If that's the case, it would have about 163dpi.

To be retina (about 256 dpi), it would have to be 1600x1200.
Unfortunatly if its a 163dpi LCD would be sub par considering that was the starndard 7 inch lcd 160dpi screens of 2 years ago on andorid tablets and Amazons Kindle fire hd 7 "= 225DPI Google nexus 7" = 240dpi, kobo arc = 215 dpi Nook HD = 243 DPi giving them higher resolution screens as well as them having high quality screens. a 163 dpi 7 inch lcd screen would resemble the low quality android screens of old and in my opinion would be a step back. i dont think the mini needs to be "retina display" but it should have at least the 215 DPI density that the ARC has. of course some will buy it because of the apple "magic"
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There are reports that Apple is having trouble getting enough "Fairy Dust" for its Baby Unicorn breeding program:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-i...pliers-2012-10

Quote:
"iPad Mini" is No Walk in the Park for Suppliers and We Expect 5-7 Million Units. Similar to the iPhone 5, we sensed that suppliers have found the specs around Apple's (AAPL-$671.45: Buy) 7.85-inch "iPad Mini" to be a challenge and yields have been frustrating. In our view, this is the reason the "iPad Mini" is 4-6 weeks behind our original launch expectation that we discussed in June. Despite continued yield challenges, the supply chain feels the much anticipated iPad Mini is on track to reach acceptable volume levels for a launch over the next month. That said, we believe that supply constraints will initially hold back the full sales potential during the first month or so of the launch. A year ago, we coined the term "iPad Mini" and discussed a price point in the $250-$300 range. We continue to believe this price point range is reasonable and we believe Apple can sell 5 million to 7 million "iPad Mini" units in the December quarter. Despite the lower price point, we expect Apple to maintain the iconic aesthetics of the current iPad and blow away what competitors are offering in this smaller form-factor tablet market.
I find this curious.
B&N (hardly a tech powerhouse) is pushing out an envelope-pushing 7 incher for $199 and Apple's supply chain (Mr Cook's forte) is having trouble with an 8incher that's going to sell at $250-300?
What, is the thing going to weigh 4 ounces and run 12 hours on a charge? (Roughly what it would take to get me to buy one instead of FireHD9 or Nexus 9)

BTW, there is now a rumor built around a picture of the Mini's headphone jack.
Yup, the headphone jack is newsworthy to Appleinsider:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...appears-online
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote