Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Change font size choices with calibre?

I really like PRS+' ability to easily change typefaces, but I'm a bit frustrated by the size selections on my 950.

It seems that medium is always too big, anything larger is HUGE, and Small is just too small, while Extra Small needs a magnifying glass.

Is there any way in calibre or any css method to set the font size choices to more useful values? I'd love to be able to adjust type size by one or two points, instead of the large increments Sony provides.

I'd be ecstatic if I could choose between 10-, 11-, 12-, 13-, 14-, and 15-point sizes.

I've tried changing the Font Size Key in Common Options under Conversion preferences, but it does not seem to have any effect.

Any other methods? Extra CSS settings?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

After experimentation, I was able to change the Base Font size (to 11-pt.) in Calibre, giving at least one size between the previous Medium and Small, but the other choices are still far too much larger and smaller to be useful for text.
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You can also use PRS+ to easily change font-sizes. You just need to create a series of .css files, each containing a different font-size (as well as your chosen font-family) e.g.

body {font-size: 0.90em; font-family:whatever}

body {font-size: 0.95em; font-family:whatever}
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You can also use PRS+ to easily change font-sizes. You just need to create a series of .css files, each containing a different font-size (as well as your chosen font-family) e.g.

body {font-size: 0.90em; font-family:whatever}

body {font-size: 0.95em; font-family:whatever}
Oh! I just learned to create .css files for PRS+ to change the font while I am reading. Do I add one of your examples to the .css files I have just created so that when I change font, I can also specify the size? That would be great! For example, could I choose Calibri font and have it set to 15 pt, but when I choose Verdana font, it is 14 pt? I hope that question makes sense. I can't wait to try this out! Thank you so much.

ElsieC
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Same question as ElsieC here. Could you perhaps paste in an example of a css-script jackie_w?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@ElsieC,
Yes, but don't set your PRS+ css font-size in point units (15pt), use em units (1.25em) or percentages (125%) instead. If you use point sizes you'll find your Sony zoom button no longer has any effect. Ems and %s are scaleable -- pts (and also pixels, px, I think) are fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Same question as ElsieC here. Could you perhaps paste in an example of a css-script jackie_w?
This is a simple one to display epub in font CharisSIL, with font-size 0.85em and line spacing of 1.2. Tweak to suit.

Code:
@font-face { font-family: serif; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILR.ttf);}
@font-face { font-family: serif; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic;  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILI.ttf);}
@font-face { font-family: serif; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal;  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILB.ttf);}
@font-face { font-family: serif; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILBI.ttf);}

body, body.calibre, body.calibre1, body.calibre2, body.calibre3, body.book  {
    font-family: serif;
    font-size: 0.85em;
    line-height: 1.2}
Caveat: Please be aware that sooner or later you will come across an epub whose own css file will stop your PRS+ css files working properly. So don't be discouraged if it happens to be the first one you try (Sod's Law ). Try a few more. The problem usually boils down to the fact that the epub internal css file also contains one or more conflicting font-family: settings. The problem epub can be fixed by manually editing its css file and removing these offending font-family settings.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-07-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is a simple one to display epub in font CharisSIL, with font-size 0.85em and line spacing of 1.2. Tweak to suit.
Wonderful, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Caveat: Please be aware that sooner or later you will come across an epub whose own css file will stop your PRS+ css files working properly. So don't be discouraged if it happens to be the first one you try (Sod's Law ). Try a few more. The problem usually boils down to the fact that the epub internal css file also contains one or more conflicting font-family: settings. The problem epub can be fixed by manually editing its css file and removing these offending font-family settings.
Yep, I've got some of those already. Not a big deal for me really, as I'm not pathologically opposed to the built-in font. So little that I've still not gotten around to doing anything to them, nor is it likely I will unless I come across a lot more.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Thank you, this worked perfectly!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist

Outstanding! Thanks very much.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
ElsieC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsieC View Post
Thank you, this worked perfectly!
. . . except it didn't work on books that I had already converted using Calibre (EPUB to EPUB) using the Look and Feel, Extra CSS option where I set the font to a specific font.

In case anyone else has come across this issue, here is how I fixed it: I converted the book again, this time choosing Look and Feel, Filter Style Information, and put a checkmark in the box next to "Font" to remove the font properties I had previously assigned. Now the nifty .css files jackie_w helped me create allow me to change fonts on books where I had previously set a font. Yea!

ElsieC
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want your ePub to use a specific font but still be able to change it if you want, use serif as the name of the font family.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
ElsieC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want your ePub to use a specific font but still be able to change it if you want, use serif as the name of the font family.

I am a little confused. Could you please tell me where I would set the font family to serif? Do you mean in the Look and Feel, Extra CSS window during conversion? I used to have the wording in the spoiler button below in that window, but removed it in lieu of using jackie_w's suggested wording for .css files in PRS+ that are in a folder ON my PRS-505.

Spoiler:
@font-face {
font-family: "verdana";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/verdana.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/verdanab.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/verdanai.ttf);
}

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/verdanaz.ttf);
}

body, div, p {
}

Thank you.

ElsieC
Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsieC View Post
I am a little confused. Could you please tell me where I would set the font family to serif? Do you mean in the Look and Feel, Extra CSS window during conversion? I used to have the wording in the spoiler button below in that window, but removed it in lieu of using jackie_w's suggested wording for .css files in PRS+ that are in a folder ON my PRS-505.
Spoiler:
@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

body, div, p {
}

That is what you do and you can still change the font.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Spoiler:
@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

body, div, p {
}

That is what you do and you can still change the font.
Except Verdana is Sans Serif, not Serif.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
ElsieC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Except Verdana is Sans Serif, not Serif.
I had wondered about that myself, but I tried it, and it works.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get the fonts working. It is nice to change fonts as my mood (or the lighting) changes.

ElsieC