Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Coreman
Coreman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Sony Reader Died-Considering Kindle

Okay, PRS-600 died today...not sure I can bring it back from the dead so I am considering Kindle 3G as replacement. I live in China and it looks like the 3G coverage is good in Beijing. However I have a number of Sony Ebooks that I haven't read yet that I will need to convert to Kindle format.

Does a Sony ebook converted with Calibre work well on Kindle? Which is the best format for converted Sony Ebooks on Kindle?

Thanks in advance...
Coreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to convert your books into Mobipocket format to read them on the Kindle. Yes, such conversions generally work very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I have a Kindle 3g and my wife has a PRS-350. We convert books that we buy to read on each of our readers. Some of the converted books are never used. I'm not interested in reading her Jane Austen novels and she's not interested in reading A Song of Fire and Ice, but Calibre works well on all of our books.

Mobi format for the Kindle and Epub format for the Sony.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreman View Post
I live in China and it looks like the 3G coverage is good in Beijing.
If you want the 3G for reading web sites or email, this is questionable, as Amazon seems to be phasing it out.

As you probably know, if you look at amazon web sites for written terms of service in China, they say they don't ship Kindles there. But if you look at a neighboring country like Vietnam, they say:

Quote:
Access Wikipedia via Whispernet on the experimental web browser. Access other websites like Google via a Wi-Fi connection.
(Above was obtained from pull-down menu while viewing Kindle Keyboard 3G here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A?country=CA)

It may depend on when the Kindle was purchased, or where it was purchased, with older devices, and those purchased from and shipped to US addresses, possibly favored.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Good lord, I thought you meant that a person, a Sony reader, died. I feel appropriately dumb now.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Coreman
Coreman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
Good lord, I thought you meant that a person, a Sony reader, died. I feel appropriately dumb now.
Thanks for the great laugh...finished cleaning the coffee off the laptop screen and everything seems to be working again...

To the others who responded, Thanks! I've got several issues to mull over and they mostly revolve around living in China, not the easiest place in the world to download books.
Coreman is offline   Reply With Quote