Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Create a notepad (empty book)?

Hi all,

As you can make notes and annotate a book, I was wondering...If I create a book with no content (other than maybe a title on the first page), could this be used as a simple note taking "app"?

Cheers,
Leaston
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Every note you take on every book or other documents will be in your "My Clippings.txt" text file in your Documents folder on Kindle. You don't need an additional Note App for that. You don't need an empty eBook for that.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes you can use any book you have to make notes but I am one of those people who simply prefers a separate application for that unless the note-taking is relevant to the book in question.

You can simply make a .txt file with some words in (you need some text to "attach" your notes to) and place that on your Kindle.

Or I prefer to use an online app such as simpletext.ws which is something that also syncs with my iPhone:

http://www.kinworm.com/2010/10/handy...ur-kindle.html
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
Quote:
could this be used as a simple note taking "app"
That's an interesting idea. It would all get added to the "my clippings" file but an "empty book" might give you a bit of organization. So yeah, you can do that; I'd just create a one page file in word and email it to the free email account or push it over with Calibre.
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
You can simply make a .txt file with some words in (you need some text to "attach" your notes to) and place that on your Kindle.
How do you open a text file (or any file) for editing on a Kindle?
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't edit it on the Kindle. All you can do is highlight or add notes.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can't edit it on the Kindle. All you can do is highlight or add notes.
That's what I thought. So I don't see the point of placing a text file (other than "My Clippings.txt") on the Kindle. Unless the idea is to edit the file on a computer and sideload or e-mail it to the Kindle, but that seems like a lot of hassle if the file is going to be regularly updated.

A Notepad-like utility for the Kindle would be nice.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
That's what I was aiming for in the absence of a dedicated app. I suppose an empty book or the like would be the closest we'll get for a while.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Much appreciated
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
pancito
pancito began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
That would be VERY nice. As well as a copy/paste function.
pancito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancito View Post
That would be VERY nice. As well as a copy/paste function.
When you underline sections in a book, they're automatically copied to a text file named "My Clippings" that you can copy to your PC via a USB connection.

The only limitation as to how much of the book's text you can copy are the restrictions placed on the individual book by the author or publisher. Most have no restrictions. A few (such as A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking) don't allow any text to be copied.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-28-2010 at 08:38 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
dvhh
Enthusiast
dvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
That's what I thought. So I don't see the point of placing a text file (other than "My Clippings.txt") on the Kindle. Unless the idea is to edit the file on a computer and sideload or e-mail it to the Kindle, but that seems like a lot of hassle if the file is going to be regularly updated.

shameless self promotion
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=9
dvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvhh View Post
The link is only to a single post. I can't figure out what the attachment is supposed to be. Does a Kindle need to be hacked in order to install an app or is this something completely different? I'm a Kindle noob remember!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are a number of 99cent 'journal' or 'notes to self' titles on the Kindle Store, which are specifically designed as items to organize and aggregate your notes. The advantage to this approach (as opposed to creating your own) is that your notes will be stored to your kindle.amazon.com page where they can be more conveniently extracted than using my clippings.txt. And they sync between devices, e.g. K4PC, K4Mac etc where the typing can be quicker...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote