Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Plastic Logic's flexible e-paper may be available in 2008

If you happen to pass through the Plastic Electronics 2006 conference in Frankfurt this week, make sure to visit Plastic Logic who is demoing a 10" 150ppi flexible display based on E Ink Imaging Film. Before you fall asleep in your chair, make sure to read the last sentence again. The key word is flexible. Unlike the Sony Reader and the multiple clones we are expecting to arrive from the Far East soon, this technology could actually enable us to twist, bend or throw e-paper just like you would do with normal paper. From the press release:

John Mills, COO Plastic Logic, commented, "Our plastic electronics technology is scalable in both screen size and resolution and this achievement is another important step along our path to 10" 150ppi flexible displays in mass production in 2008."

Related: Flexible display design concepts from Plastic Logic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	150and100ppi.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	1968  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Is there any worker of Plastic Logic around the forums in mobileread? I am kind of alone, here in Cambridge with my iLiad.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Love this stuff. Having working in printing for so long I see this type of stuff as the Grail!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

My bet is the first use will be a "deluxe" edition of The Complete Harry Potter. It should be appropiate, having a solar powered display to change the picture in the cover each time it acummulates enough power to do it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Fall asleep in my chair? Not just the 'flexible' part but the '10 inch' part has my rapt attention! Utterly amazing how fast this technology advances daily. Ooh, I want this now
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
The closer they get to A4 sized the better it'll be. A rollable device in that form factor would certainly appeal to a fair few users for news papers and PDFs. Bring it on.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Before we get too ecstatic, don't forget that big circuit board that is apparently used to run the display! I suppose in time that can shrink or even be flexible, but when it first comes out, it will probably be tethered to a brick of some sort.

Even so, I'd sure love to see it also!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
The closer they get to A4 sized the better it'll be. A rollable device in that form factor would certainly appeal to a fair few users for news papers and PDFs. Bring it on.
I thinking you could make a really cool "scroll" style book... It would be able to take up half the size of a book when stored (like the ones in the Libaray of Alexandria)...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
I thinking you could make a really cool "scroll" style book... It would be able to take up half the size of a book when stored (like the ones in the Libaray of Alexandria)...
Considering that the extant fragments of the library of Alexandia fit in a DVD, it is still too big.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Considering that the extant fragments of the library of Alexandia fit in a DVD, it is still too big.
Hopefully this time someone will have backups...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I wonder what kind of smoke a burning eink reader produces?

Maybe we won't have to wait long. There are Sony batteries in circulation.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
I want my display to be physically larger than my storage medium....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I want my display to be physically larger than my storage medium....
What if your storage medium is a bookshelf?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:23 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, okay, Smart Guy, I was talking about electronic storage & display, as you well know.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Spreading out while working....

I imagine most folks in this forum have read Stephenson's The Diamond Age, which centers around a "smart book" with electronic pages. Late in the story, one of the characters is getting some work done in a café and he pulls several of these "smart papers" out and spreads them across a media-enabled table. Some already have content on them, others he adjusts on the spot to update themselves with content he wants to browse. He makes notes on still others. He uses this method to cross-reference different data and draw comparisons, contrasts, summarize, etc.

One downside of the current generation of eReaders is that you need a whole device with power, wireless link, etc. for each screen you want to look at. On my desk right now I have a laptop hooked up to an extra screen, and I can cut and paste content between them, and even drag windows between them. This is the closest I've been able to come to the scenario described above, which is the way I tend to work when I have paper available.

Someday I'd like to see all the "heavy stuff" centralized into one box you could put on the table or even keep in your pocket (perhaps doubling as a phone), with a wireless (bluetooth?) connection to one or more lightweight, flexible, hopefully inexpensive displays. With this product, I think we may be getting close. Then again, I'd still like those displays to be able to accept written input... that may be a while coming.

Oh, and regarding the storage medium being a bookshelf, the corollary to "I want my display to be larger than my storage medium" is "I want my storage medium to be smaller than my display."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote