Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Bookdesigner: Which fontsizes, margins,settings when converting to LRF?

Hi,
I'm new to book designer,and I'm trying out my first conversion.
Which fontsize/word spacing/margins do you prefer?

I found from letters I could perfectly read 8pt on my Sony Reader, however the text becomes too heavy, and you're really looking at a black screen decreasing the fontsize as small as that I found.

The standard wordspacing is fine for me.

I found no problems using no margin on top/bottom, and use 5pt margin left and right instead.
The reason being that on top Book Designer has the book title typed, and on the bottom there's the small battery/page bar.
The standard 10pt borders for left/right I found too wide, and prefer 5pt.

Anyone has any other non-custom settings with the program?

I think perhaps it does not matter much to which format you save, since I suspect with the same settings a mobi format will look the same as a lrf format (the text) in their 800x600 screen devices...?

Also,do you change anything on the picture when inserting a front cover?

*Edit: I've also changed the colors to a 5color gray mode (Black, dark grey,grey,light grey, white),or do you think it's better to leave all text in plain black?*

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-22-2008 at 03:13 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I suspect that you have already found Jon's thread about installing the original BookDesigner 4 files and then unzipping the update in the same folder. Plus there is another thread about BookCleaner that adds a few features. Also, checkout the Book Designer best practices in the MobileRead Wiki.

The best guide for creating great books with BookDesigner is HarryT's Guide. I'm not sure where it is posted in the forum so I am enclosing a copy with this post.

I generally keep the paragraph setting at 11 pt Dutch with the Title at 12 point Swiss. I use 10 px margins for the left and right. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress.
Attached Files
File Type: doc HarryT's Book Designer Tutorial.doc (1.89 MB, 895 views)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I personally prefer 10 point base font, 0 margins all around and a wordspace of 13. This give good overall pages without any really wasted space.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
book designer, configuration, setting