Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #16
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I basically agree with PeterT. In many cases epubs would do as well as kepub.epubs or even better. But there are some points that kepub.epubs are better at, to mention those that come immediately to my mind:
  • zoom of images
  • better support of vertical writing
  • adjustable line spacing in Japanese language books (In Japanese language books line spacing set in the css file is not honored in epubs. This is extremly tiresome with horizontal writing in combination with furigana, since the lines overlap slightly. Note: one can not change the line-spacing, margins, justification via the menu irrespective whether it is an epub or a kepub.epub)
  • pop up preview of footnotes
  • automatic font substitution for those characters that are not supported by the selected font (does not always look nice, but it is still better than question marks, boxes, crossed boxes or nothing)
  • support of TOC in epub 3 without epub 2 fallback toc.ntx

Last edited by tshering; 03-12-2013 at 05:42 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
pop up preview of footnotes
this is the single most important thing for me - and the book in question is a non fiction book of more than 800 pages, a good third of which is endnotes - the cumbersome support of footnotes/endnotes in EPUB (at least the one KOBO offers - with a previous ereader I had no problems jumpign quickly around the book) makes accessing notes a real pain, if not completely impossible.

Having said that, it is not even clear that the problem lies in the book - this time copying back the backed up database did not restore the previous condition, a sync does not download the books, the reader logged me off and won't let me log back in: I get a network error (while the wifi shows full bars), and the device has been connected for about 15 minutes now to my laptop (for the setup using the Kobo application) and still nothing seems to be happening. Not looking good, but is it possible for a single book to cause such havoc? I should add that I had several koboified epubs working marvelously!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

as an update, and in case this may be useful for others: I did copy the whole of the Mini on my laptop before connecting to Calibre again, and I can confirm that, when things go wrong, if you then erase everything from the device (my laptop is set to show hidden files too) and copy back the backup, you restore the device to the pre-mess condition. At least, it did work for me on the Mini running firmware 2.4.0
However, still cannot get the bleeding book on my Mini!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's good that the backup worked. I haven't done a full backup and restore like that, but I have replaced the database with a backup a few times.

As you have a good restore mechanism, there is something that would be good to try: logout of the Kobo account on the device. This will remove the current database and replace it with a new empty database and then restart. You will be prompted to login and do the setup again. But it won't go back to the factory installed database. After that, see what happens when you add the book.

The reason for this is in case there is a problem with the your backup of the database that we can't see. I have looked at the two copies you sent me. While I can't see anything in the good version that would explain the problem. But, I also don't get the problem on my device when I load the book you are using onto my either my Touch or Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #20
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's good that the backup worked. I haven't done a full backup and restore like that, but I have replaced the database with a backup a few times.
I am glad I had the backup, because trying restoring just the database this time did not work - and at some point the device logged me out without me doing anything! In addition, it would not let me setup via WIFI. Setting up via the Kobo desktop resulted in 356 books (no joke) showing with the arrow for downloading on my device, whereas I have bought from Kobo less than 20 (i presume these were previews), at which point I felt so stuck that erased the device and copied the backup, and it worked.

Quote:
As you have a good restore mechanism, there is something that would be good to try: logout of the Kobo account on the device. This will remove the current database and replace it with a new empty database and then restart. You will be prompted to login and do the setup again. But it won't go back to the factory installed database. After that, see what happens when you add the book.

The reason for this is in case there is a problem with the your backup of the database that we can't see. I have looked at the two copies you sent me. While I can't see anything in the good version that would explain the problem. But, I also don't get the problem on my device when I load the book you are using onto my either my Touch or Glo.
Ok, that is the least I could do. I am reporting below all the steps in case they help.
So first off, I connected the device to perform a new backup, i.e. I only copied all the files from the device to my hard drive - Calibre was off, and I disconnected the device "safely" using widows - after the recover the carousel was no longer showing the book I was reading before connecting to the laptop. However the book was there, and opened at the correct page.
I performed a sync (for some unknown reason I was asked for the password again, though I have used this network many times), then logged out.

The mini asked me for some five seconds whether I wanted to login, then the smiley emoticon appeared, then seemed to hang - and I could not power it off. I gave it a couple of minutes and could finally power on, but again it hanged. To cut a long story short, the device kept hanging, even when plugged in to wake it up. After six or seven attempts, I went for a pinhole reset, but the Mini hangs with that, too. In fact, I've tried the pinhole reset various times, it always hangs. The battery was full, by the way.
At this point I am truly stuck, so grateful for any suggestions!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #21
paola
Wizard

UPDATE - nothing seems to wake my baby up, that is, it does wake up, but then hangs after a few seconds.

I just finished chatting online with Kobo support, they say the device is probably defective and needs replacing - I will leave it connected overnight just in case, and try a reset tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Good luck; we'll all light candles for your Mini
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
UPDATE - nothing seems to wake my baby up, that is, it does wake up, but then hangs after a few seconds.

I just finished chatting online with Kobo support, they say the device is probably defective and needs replacing - I will leave it connected overnight just in case, and try a reset tomorrow.
Nooooo

Is it tomorrow yet? Is your baby awake?

I'm assuming you tried the pinhole with slider reset as well...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Nooooo

Is it tomorrow yet? Is your baby awake?

I'm assuming you tried the pinhole with slider reset as well...
yes, tried absolutely everything, the thing looks very dead...
Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Kobo Customer Service

Quote:
I just finished chatting online with Kobo support, they say the device is probably defective and needs replacing...
Sorry to hear your Mini died, paola

It took 22 days from when I first contacted Kobo until my replacement Mini arrived.
Please let us know how long it takes for you to get your new one.
I'm just curious
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro traveler View Post
Sorry to hear your Mini died, paola

It took 22 days from when I first contacted Kobo until my replacement Mini arrived.
Please let us know how long it takes for you to get your new one.
I'm just curious
well, so far I have received an email requesting contact details and details about the Kobo. Then I haven't heard back, save for a message copying me in our previous correspondence (excluding the details I had filled in) so I am not sure whether there has been some miscommunication. Let's see, I'll keep you posted.
My home is in Scotland, but I am in Mexico right now, which does not help!

EDIT: nevertheless, is it not extremely bizarre that just signing out messes the device up so badly?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's going to make it fun.
Quote:
EDIT: nevertheless, is it not extremely bizarre that just signing out messes the device up so badly?
Yes. But, there was probably something else wrong and the logout was the last straw. With what has been happening, I would wonder if the internal SD card has died. That could explain the constant corruption of the database file and the inability to restore the factory image.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #28
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Yes. But, there was probably something else wrong and the logout was the last straw. With what has been happening, I would wonder if the internal SD card has died. That could explain the constant corruption of the database file and the inability to restore the factory image.
ah, yes of course, that makes sense!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #29
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I think I'm jealous!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Good luck to you Paola!
I hope you'll have a new working device soon
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote