Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
1 page to 2 screens (how to read A4 PDF?)

Sorry if i miss something, but i can't find that obvious feature in my DR800SG with 2.0RC3 firmware...
There was a feature on Sony PRS500 (called with long press on the "size" button) which splitted a page in two halfs, upper and bottom, and showed these one half per screen, which allowed to an acceptable reading experience (font size) when reading PDF documents originally designed for A4.
On my DR800, the "rotate" feature will fit the entire page to screen, making the fonts even smaller compared to vertical layout. Also, there is a "zoom" feature, but it seems that one cannot switch between top and bottom half of the page with this feature, as the flipbar switches you to the same fragment on the next page, not to the next fragment on the same page.
So is there any way i could read a PDF originally designed for A4 paper?
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
Sorry if i miss something, but i can't find that obvious feature in my DR800SG with 2.0RC3 firmware...
There was a feature on Sony PRS500 (called with long press on the "size" button) which splitted a page in two halfs, upper and bottom, and showed these one half per screen, which allowed to an acceptable reading experience (font size) when reading PDF documents originally designed for A4.
On my DR800, the "rotate" feature will fit the entire page to screen, making the fonts even smaller compared to vertical layout. Also, there is a "zoom" feature, but it seems that one cannot switch between top and bottom half of the page with this feature, as the flipbar switches you to the same fragment on the next page, not to the next fragment on the same page.
So is there any way i could read a PDF originally designed for A4 paper?
DR software doesn't have this feature.

If you really need it (I can usually read A4 docs zooming to trim the margins) you could use a pdf split application on your computer that from 1 A4 page create 2 A5 pages.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Do you know about any such applications, besides BRISS and soPdf (doesn't work for me)?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
You can also use continuous mode in the native app, though it's not as useful as a half-page mode.

Other than that, some other pdf-viewers have been ported to the DR. You can see a list of them here (recently updated by Fehkner).

I think at least TechPDF allows this mode. Downside is that any of these applications will most likely be slower than the native application.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
penartur
Groupie

Err... what is the "continuous mode" and how can i enable it?
I'll try TechPDF, thank you.
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Err... what is the "continuous mode" and how can i enable it?
Choose Menu -> Zooming -> Page Flow.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
penartur
Groupie

Under Menu->Zooming there are only "Back", "Fit on Screen", "Selection Zoom" and "Pan" items for me... btw, i'm running 2.0RC3; should i change some config files or install something in order to get that "Page Flow" item?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Under Menu->Zooming there are only "Back", "Fit on Screen", "Selection Zoom" and "Pan" items for me... btw, i'm running 2.0RC3; should i change some config files or install something in order to get that "Page Flow" item?
I think you need DR800+. This is a feature only present on DR1000, that is ported to DR800 with DR800+.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
penartur
Groupie

Yes, it works with DR800+.