Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
alexia.k
alexia.k began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub cover won't display as preview thumbnail in file explorer

Hello everyone!

I am editing an epub file in Calibre so that I can read it using ADE.

I have inserted a new cover for it and in the Edit Book section I have set this image as cover (both cover.jpg & cover_page.html) and saved to disk.

The problem is that the preview thumbnail on Windows doesn't display the updated cover, but a random image from the book. I have many books and I would like to be able to see their original covers in file explorer.

I tried converting the original epub file to EPUB and it updatesthe cover, but it dramatically reduces the quality of the file.

I also tried to polish the book by using "Update the cover", but no luck.

Is there a way that I can achieve this?
alexia.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexia.k View Post
Is there a way that I can achieve this?
Maybe, see ==>> Thumbnail previews for epub files in Window explorer folders?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
alexia.k

I can see epub preview thumbnails in general, just not the book cover.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The solution in the thread I posted made reference (via some links) to a windows shell extension called CBX Shell and a registry hack - it worked for me and others in 2014. I didn't keep it for myself, so I don't know if it will work today. See the MR Wiki link in that thread.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
The preview thumbnail on Windows shows the first image of all the ordered images.
The solution is to name the cover image: 001.jpg (for example).
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
alexia.k

It worked. A very easy solution, thanks a lot jbacelar!
Old 12-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #7
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
You're welcome!
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 AM   #8
caseym54
caseym54 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
The preview thumbnail on Windows shows the first image of all the ordered images.
The solution is to name the cover image: 001.jpg (for example).
Yes, but that requires modifying files and sometimes you don't want to do that. Also it doesn't support azw3. CDisplayEx and similar assume that the first image is the cover, which it is in comics, but that is usually not true in an epub.

The Calibre program ALWAYS finds the cover, if present, in any supported format. It would be great if the Calibre cover function could be made into a shell preview.
caseym54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 AM   #9
caseym54
caseym54 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10G
There is a "cover" attribute in epub files that Calibre looks for.

You can test this by opening a file in the (free) Sigil epub editor, selecting an image file and right-clicking. Only one image has the cover attribute set.

If you change it, then drop into Calibre, Calibre will extract the new "cover" and use that.
caseym54 is offline   Reply With Quote