Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
HappyChris
Enthusiast
HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nexus 10 (2 of them), Nexus 5, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, iMac
Maintaining reading position across iOS devices

Is there an iOS e-reader app that will reliably Cloud sync the latest page read to in my own books - epub, PDF & mobi - across various devices, iOS (and Android?)?
I am tired of the way iOs devices sandbox books in a given app's library don't seem to be able to communicate the latest page to another ebook app on the same device or to the same app on another device.

Like Kindle does, I suppose(!).

Last edited by HappyChris; 10-29-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Typo
HappyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only things I can think of that are multi-platform would be Kindle and Google.

For Kindle, email the book to your Kindle account and it's available in various apps/devices (not Kindle for PC/Mac, but I think in Kindle cloud reader).

For Google you can upload your own ePub's & PDF's and read with Google's apps (iOS, Android...) or in a browser.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The only things I can think of that are multi-platform would be Kindle and Google.

For Kindle, email the book to your Kindle account and it's available in various apps/devices (not Kindle for PC/Mac, but I think in Kindle cloud reader).

For Google you can upload your own ePub's & PDF's and read with Google's apps (iOS, Android...) or in a browser.
I would add books purchased from Kobo and synced (no sideloading). This works with the Android and iOS apps, Kobo ereaders and the Kobo desktop application on Windows (likely, the Mac version but I haven't tested that).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Sonofrobot
Connoisseur
Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Forma
I second the Google Play Books suggestion. Kindle works but it's limited to mobi files to have whispersync work with sideloaded books.
Sonofrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I much prefer FBReader over Google Play Books and Kindle App. I use that to sync between my iPad and Samsung S8 phone.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
We use ibooks downloaded from our own calibre library and if the settings are correct across our iphone and ipad we get synchronized reading. Turn on icloud drive, then in settings -> top left your name/icloud -> books -> turn on icloud
Finally under Settings -> on left scroll down to books -> turn on Reading Now and icloud drive
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Marvin app lets you manually sync nicely between ios devices. I am always reading epubs on both my iPhone and iPad.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross-platform, ios, sandboxing, sync