Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #46
uviteru
uviteru began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, KV, K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Power?
What power?

Better question: What adapter are you using?

Usually the adapter is powered by the USB side of the adapter.
Some adapters require an interface reference voltage from the serial side - but only some.

Note:
Update your info box - it only mentions a PW-2, no mention of the K4 or KV.

Dumb question:
Why do you need a serial port on a K4?
The K4 does not require use of the serial port to either jailbreak or de-brick.
Sorry I'm a complete noobie at this--I used the FT230X for the KV and was planning to use the same for the K4. I'm doing it on the K4 because I wanted to learn more about what's going on during the boot process, and I wanted to be able to poke around on an old K4 rather than risking bricking my shiny new KV.

For the KV serial hack, it required the 1.8v connection, which based on your comment leads me to believe this was a reference voltage for the serial comm, not powering the circuit. (which makes obvious sense now that i think about it)

So my better informed question would be--do I need a reference voltage for the serial connection on a K4, or am I good with Rx, Tx, and GND?

(also updated my info)
uviteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Do you have a link for that adapter board?
Just knowing what chip it uses does not help a whole lot.

- - - -

The only thing different about the K4 ... KV devices is the location of the serial port pads on the motherboard.

The K4 does not use the same initialization system as the newer models.
Don't make any generalizations from how that portion works.

Back in the days when the K4 was current, the 'recommended' adapter was an adapter cable that did not require an external reference.
Which is why you don't find a post about where to find it on the board.

If, after reading about the specific adapter you are using, I find that you do need the external reference - -
I'll dig out a K4 and see if I can find one on the board for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:42 AM   #48
uviteru
uviteru began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, KV, K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you have a link for that adapter board?
Just knowing what chip it uses does not help a whole lot.

- - - -

The only thing different about the K4 ... KV devices is the location of the serial port pads on the motherboard.

The K4 does not use the same initialization system as the newer models.
Don't make any generalizations from how that portion works.

Back in the days when the K4 was current, the 'recommended' adapter was an adapter cable that did not require an external reference.
Which is why you don't find a post about where to find it on the board.

If, after reading about the specific adapter you are using, I find that you do need the external reference - -
I'll dig out a K4 and see if I can find one on the board for you.

Thanks so much--the board i was using was this one: http://jim.sh/ftx/

And after some hunting, I found the pinout here: http://jurriaandevos.nl/kindle-4-hac...ial-io-header/

I went ahead and connected the appropriate pins without a voltage reference, and it appears to work! I rebooted the kindle and got the boot messages to show up through putty.

Thanks for clarifying the voltage info!
uviteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uviteru View Post
Thanks so much--the board i was using was this one: http://jim.sh/ftx/

And after some hunting, I found the pinout here: http://jurriaandevos.nl/kindle-4-hac...ial-io-header/

I went ahead and connected the appropriate pins without a voltage reference, and it appears to work! I rebooted the kindle and got the boot messages to show up through putty.

Thanks for clarifying the voltage info!
Translation: The currently recommended board.

Since it is working without the external reference, you must have ordered it for 3v3 (the default) I/O and not changed it after you received it.

You are not the only one that has used 3v3 I/O adapters.

I personally do not recommend that because the manufacturer's hardware reference does not mention 3v3 (or 5v0) tolerance.

But don't panic -

But since the power bus(es) to the SoC's I/O cells can be programed (at run time) to either 1v8 or 3v3, it is reasonable to find them 3v3 (or even 5v0) tolerant.
(It would require additional processing steps (extra expense) to make the I/O tolerance follow the setting of the power bus.)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #50
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsitsee View Post
how many ebook reader must be destroyed till the jail break gonna be released ???
None.
Serial port jail breaking does not injure the Kindle.
Quote:
please end this ridiculous ethical issue with amazon. if amazon was ethical toward us .it wouldnt tricked us into buying a book reader that sucks at reading djvu and other formats
No trickery involved, the formats it can display are well documented.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #51
nixkalo
nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: hanlin V3, K4NT, PW3

Quote:
how many ebook reader must be destroyed till the jail break gonna be released ???
kmsitsee, I counted at least 3 different posts from you during the last days requesting that the jailbreak be released. I'm as eager as you to see it released, but it is completely up to the creator (BranchDelay) to decide when (and if) he/she releases it
May I suggest that you open a new thread (maybe named "petition for jailbreak release") where everyone can say "me too" and possibly explain why they they want it?
That way we wouldn't need to hijack other threads. Which BTW is what I'm doing right now so I'll just shut up.

Nix
nixkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
kmsitsee:

Create your own thread on this topic, rather than continue to make your off-topic posts here.

Any further off-topic posts from you in this thread will be deleted.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-26-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #53
grant2
Banned
grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grant2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite pw2
Was looking forward to a day disassembling my new (used) kindle.. but it arrived with old software so it was a 2-minute jailbreak... eat your hearts out!
Click image for larger version

Name:	new used kindle.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	145986
grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #54
Lord Taku
Lord Taku began at the beginning.

Device: K2, DX, PW, PW2, KV
Success with Kindle Voyage

I've been waiting for this since the Voyage came out. I had hacked all my older Kindles and reverted to using my Paperwhite because I missed my own screensavers so much and couldn't put up with the stock ones. When I saw this tutorial and that it didn't involve using Linux I decided to take the plunge.

Some notes:

1. The Kindle Voyage is really easy to open (which was kind of a concern for me beforehand).
2. Soldering the serial cable seems next to impossible to me - I used the pin method which works fine if you fix everything tight with tape (you do not need to see the screen for hacking and installing). - I put three pairs of reading glasses on on top of each other to position the pins correctly...
3. I ran into the same issue as stupidhaiku, the boot also stopped with the line "sock_init 1888". Thanks to his post I was able to proceed and login.

So I am a very happy owner of a jailbroken Voyage (FW 5.6.1.0.5) with custom screensavers ;-) Thank you all very much for your work and your posts!
Lord Taku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #55
MrCaringi
Venezuelan
MrCaringi began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 (B0D4 Series)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Taku View Post
I've been waiting for this since the Voyage came out. I had hacked all my older Kindles and reverted to using my Paperwhite because I missed my own screensavers so much and couldn't put up with the stock ones. When I saw this tutorial and that it didn't involve using Linux I decided to take the plunge.

Some notes:

1. The Kindle Voyage is really easy to open (which was kind of a concern for me beforehand).
2. Soldering the serial cable seems next to impossible to me - I used the pin method which works fine if you fix everything tight with tape (you do not need to see the screen for hacking and installing). - I put three pairs of reading glasses on on top of each other to position the pins correctly...
3. I ran into the same issue as stupidhaiku, the boot also stopped with the line "sock_init 1888". Thanks to his post I was able to proceed and login.

So I am a very happy owner of a jailbroken Voyage (FW 5.6.1.0.5) with custom screensavers ;-) Thank you all very much for your work and your posts!
Great job! any pictures? :P
MrCaringi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:36 AM   #56
Lord Taku
Lord Taku began at the beginning.

Device: K2, DX, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCaringi View Post
Great job! any pictures? :P
On taking the Voyage apart there are links to pictures and a description at the beginning of the 2nd part of the OP, also see this video: https://youtu.be/fHM6tdHeCiE. For me removing the top bezel worked best starting at the top corner and then working my way towards the middle and then to the other corner (not at the side like in the video).

On the pin method of connecting the serial cable there are links towards the end of the 2nd part of the OP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KV600.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	146037  
Lord Taku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #57
XXCoder
Enthusiast
XXCoder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2, NST
Found kindle pw2 version. Nice. If that new jailbreak don't work out, I can use that.
XXCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #58
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Hi!

I'm going to jailbreak my new Kindle Paperwhite 2015 with 5.7.2 FW. And want to use my Raspberry Pi as serial interface to kindle. But Ras Pi has 3.3 V serial output voltage. I want to use several diods for 3.3->1.8 conversion. Are there any underwater rocks?
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #59
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Hi!

Today I've got the serial console. But I can't get into the diag menu.

I've "calculated" my password using pyton on linux but

Code:
kindle login: root
Password: 
Login incorrect
Please help...

Thanks a lot , stupidhaiku !

You method EXIT LOGIN works! And my password is also working with this method!

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 03-09-2016 at 11:59 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #60
knc1
Going Viral

Why do you need to get into the diag menu over the serial port?

Be warned, other people have managed to shoot themselves in the foot doing that.
So if you can say what you are trying to do, we can perhaps suggest an alternative.

Tags
serial jailbreak