Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Imdman
Imdman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Problem with conversion .mobi to epub with Calibre

I'm trying to convert several .mobi files to .epub for use on my Sony PRS-505. The .mobi files are formatted perfectly, but when I convert them, there is a page-break after every paragraph instead of a linebreak. I'm very new to ebook conversions and have calibre set to default settings with the exception of telling it I use the Sony. I did some exploring on the net and opened up the converted .epub file with 7zip and took a look at the files. The conversion successfully split the html files at the correct chapters, but when I look to the html code: <p class="calibre2"> Before every paragraph, and </p> After every paragraph. I went to http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub and was able to upload, convert, then download the file with no problems, but I'm sure there is a way to do the same thing successfully and in bulk on my PC using calibre. Thanks in advance.
Imdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
FYI, the crooks at online-convert.com use calibre themselves, without even bothering to acknowledge that anywhere.

As for your conversion problems, you've got some setting changed somewhere, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can confirm what Kovid said, simply unzip the ORIGINAL of one of their conversion and look at the HTML. Calibre leaves plenty of clues that it had been used sometime in the process.

Last edited by theducks; 02-02-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarity
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Imdman

Update: I took a look at the correctly formatted epub file that I did using the online converter and the same <p class="calibre2"> and </p> code was still present in that file too, so now I'm really confused.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Imdman

Ok here is: the .mobi file I am converting from:[deleted]
the .epub file I got out: [deleted]
a .txt file of the conversion log: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Hr...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-02-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Deleted links to copyright material
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Please do not upload links to copyright material to MobileRead.

If the HTML is the same, then the difference is in the .css styles file.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Imdman

I'm sorry about the uploads, was just trying to do what I was told. New here, and new to conversions. What do I need to look at in the .css styles file and how do i fix it?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Imdman

in both page_style.css files in the successful conversion and my calibre conversion only have:

@page {
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt
}

in the file.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
OK, I've taken a look (moderatorial superpowers). I don't know what, but some setting in the conversion has caused every single paragraph to be output in its own HTML file.

I hope that this info will let the calibre people tell you what to change.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OK, I've taken a look (moderatorial superpowers). I don't know what, but some setting in the conversion has caused every single paragraph to be output in its own HTML file.

I hope that this info will let the calibre people tell you what to change.
Since you had the crystal ball

It seems like there is a Page-Break-before coded at the Paragraph level.
ticking do not split on Pagebreak (EPUB Output Conversion setting) might cure these results (but leave a messy size break only book)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Imdman

I tried that and I'm still getting same results. I've also tried to uninstall then reinstall calibre so i could have the default settings. After the reinstall, calibre remembered where my library directory was and my last saved settings, so I imagine calibre saves my setting somewhere else that didn't get deleted on the uninstall. Since then I tried setting the input and outputs to the generic setting instead using the Sony profile and still have not had any luck. The book is still read able but it gets to be very annoying turning pages after 1 or 2 line paragraphs and especially between dialogs.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdman View Post
I tried that and I'm still getting same results. I've also tried to uninstall then reinstall calibre so i could have the default settings. After the reinstall, calibre remembered where my library directory was and my last saved settings, so I imagine calibre saves my setting somewhere else that didn't get deleted on the uninstall. Since then I tried setting the input and outputs to the generic setting instead using the Sony profile and still have not had any luck. The book is still read able but it gets to be very annoying turning pages after 1 or 2 line paragraphs and especially between dialogs.
Conversion settings exist in 2 places:
The default: In Preferences

Once the book has been converted: The settings used stays with EACH BOOK.

When you start up Conversion, there is a button (or tick box in Bulk mode) to restore the (current) default setting
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdman View Post
After the reinstall, calibre remembered where my library directory was and my last saved settings, so I imagine calibre saves my setting somewhere else that didn't get deleted on the uninstall.
The settings are in C:\Users\Dan\\AppData\Roaming\calibre
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Conversion settings are also stored in the database. If you want a clean slate first delete the calibre settings folder, then delete the calibre library folder and then re-add the books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote