Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
HI

Is there a more ore less easy way to use WIKIPEDIA without beeing logged into my Amazon account?

Or better:
Use Wikipedia without beeing logged into my account AND block everything else. In and out. I just want to use Wikipedia without big brother watching me an nothing else. No mail, no buying books, ...

What I am able to do?
A am able to copy files over SSH to the reader (finally managed that point...).

What I'm not able to do?
Managing this job with the help of general explanations. I'm no Linux man.

For this task I've set up a virtual OpenSuse in VirtualBox.

Thanks
Wait another day - there will be KUAL buttons, no USBnetwork required.
If you haven't yet installed the KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher) - then do so while your waiting.

And to your primary question: Most likely, will have to ask you to provide some information (the KUAL-BBB report button to-be) in order to find out where the service you want is being provided.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #32
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi knc1

That are great news. KUAL is allready installed (using it for toggle USB network). Finding out needed information should be easy, I hope.

Thanks
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Hi knc1

That are great news. KUAL is allready installed (using it for toggle USB network). Finding out needed information should be easy, I hope.

Thanks
Progress - I wrote my first "Button" (to set the device's date and time to that of a public network server - rather than from Amazon).

So making "Button's" for managing the BBB firewall without the need of USB networking is that step closer to happening.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral

KUAL DateTime Button Released

Now users can set the device's Date-Time from public time servers, even when the "Big Brother Blocker" firewall is enabled.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205732
Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #35
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Just a quick question, might even be considered a stupid question:

Does using the BBB filter change battery life? My (maybe dumb) reasoning is that the use of wifi/3g drains the battery which is why I usually keep my device in airplane mode (secondary to the keeping updates out of my control reason, which tangentially has been fixed by the backdoorlock button), but I was wondering if when out of airplane mode, by enabling the BBB filter, does the device try and waste energy calling home and if so, has anyone noticed a change in battery drain compared to no BBB filter?
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Just a quick question, might even be considered a stupid question:

Does using the BBB filter change battery life? My (maybe dumb) reasoning is that the use of wifi/3g drains the battery which is why I usually keep my device in airplane mode (secondary to the keeping updates out of my control reason, which tangentially has been fixed by the backdoorlock button), but I was wondering if when out of airplane mode, by enabling the BBB filter, does the device try and waste energy calling home and if so, has anyone noticed a change in battery drain compared to no BBB filter?
Count the number of packets dropped.

That is close to the number of times the system was waiting.

Keep in mind this is a commercial operating system - it **does not** do any busy waits for the reply.
In fact, if it has nothing to do - it powers down the cpu to a low power state.

translation: Nothing that you can measure that is any different than just having the wifi or 3G enabled.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #37
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
my device has CONSISTENTLY whinged about not connecting back via wifi ever since I nerfed it many moons ago...

When I consider the clock cycles it takes to report that failure and it's subsequent (foolish) re-attempts and then weigh that against ACTUALLY sending all the logs and other detritus via 3g??? It's a BARGIN.

I would vote for "better". Not "Worse."
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #38
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
When I consider the clock cycles it takes to report that failure and it's subsequent (foolish) re-attempts and then weigh that against ACTUALLY sending all the logs and other detritus via 3g??? It's a BARGIN.
I thought it had been verified that the logs weren't being sent (unless, presumably, they ask for them, probably in a customer support role)? All you're saving is a ping every minute or so (still a waste of power, mind you).

Myself I buy a lot from Amazon -- living a long way from any physical bookshops will do that -- so I was very happy when the backdoorlock came out so I could use Amazon as, well, y'know, the *bookshop* they wanted me to use it for when they sold me the Kindle without having to worry that they'd shove JBPatch-and-hyphenation-breaking upgrades down my throat without asking.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I thought it had been verified that the logs weren't being sent (unless, presumably, they ask for them, probably in a customer support role)? All you're saving is a ping every minute or so (still a waste of power, mind you).
A ping is an ICMP packet, type 8 for a ping request.

Press the "Report" button, view the counters for ICMP and for those things being blocked.

There in the rules, you will find that ICMP type 8 is allowed.

Also, if you need to use the store, you can use the "Remover filter" button, while leaving the firewall structure required to install/remove other services in the future.

Note: Landscape mode and a small font size makes that report easier to read.

The buttons above are posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205925

Last edited by knc1; 02-24-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #40
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post

Myself I buy a lot from Amazon -- living a long way from any physical bookshops will do that -- so I was very happy when the backdoorlock came out so I could use Amazon as, well, y'know, the *bookshop* they wanted me to use it for when they sold me the Kindle without having to worry that they'd shove JBPatch-and-hyphenation-breaking upgrades down my throat without asking.
To be honest. NOTHING leaves my kindle that I don't like the look of. Period.

When I see logs that contain personal data (whether they are sent or not) that makes me bristle... I dont recall reading "The Device will log all the wifi hotspots, 3g towers, books you read and times you do things" in the sales patter. But tin-hatting aside. The question was on battery life. My instinct would be it lives longer. As I mooted.

I have no solid metrics for this. Happy to be wrong. Or right.

Given that my devices almost never are off-charge and almost never go to screen saver they would die in about a day on average if they did go off-charge. Perhaps a little more.

Re the "bookstore". Have to agree, it is a very effective means of getting new reading material and as you say the issue of unwanted updates is the main bugbear. Kudos for an end to all that.

Would like to see the link that confirms logs are never sent, that said it is a "non-issue" in my mind now.

As KNC1 rightly points out the default preferences are actually forgiving of some "generally required" functionality and no doubt in the future there may be a few extra options should that prove prudent.

: )

I hope that underlines my view.

Probably longer.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #41
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
KUAL + BBB = big win!

Any reason not to add:

-A wlan-in -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

to fw-base.txt (i.e., added-bbb-*.txt) to allow in-bound ssh over wifi?

Note: I've populated authorized_keys and added

PasswordAuthentication no

to /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/sshd_config so I'm pretty comfortable with it my case. I'm happy to patch the file for myself each time I update it but thought I'd mention it. I find it much more convenient to ssh over wifi than ssh over usb. I don't want to lose this ability in order to gain BBB coverage.
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpin View Post
Any reason not to add:

-A wlan-in -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

to fw-base.txt (i.e., added-bbb-*.txt) to allow in-bound ssh over wifi?

Note: I've populated authorized_keys and added

PasswordAuthentication no

to /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/sshd_config so I'm pretty comfortable with it my case. I'm happy to patch the file for myself each time I update it but thought I'd mention it. I find it much more convenient to ssh over wifi than ssh over usb. I don't want to lose this ability in order to gain BBB coverage.
The rule-set is in end-user writable space so they can get their mitts on it.

There will be a button that handles the firewall rules (inbound), the modules (as required), and starting a service (like sshd on one off the interfaces) - Some Day - RSN.

But if you want to diddle with the rule-set - - feel free.
I just ask that you don't change the linked-table structure I have setup.
That is required so, for example, the proper place to insert a newly allowed in-bound service is rule #1 of the interface input chain the service is to be allowed on.

You seem to follow the structure - wlan-in rule #1 is the place to put it - just like you did.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #43
twobob

very happy with this thread. A constant touchstone.

thanks