Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #331
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no "rollback" available. They can't give you what doesn't exist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #332
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
My final note about the PW2 and the disastrous update - Amazon is taking it back and giving me a full refund. The update made the PW2 completely unusable FOR ME. I am astonished, absolutely astonished, that they would rather give me a refund on a 3 month old device, than roll mine back to the original firmware.

While I would love a rollback, if it was possible, now that I have finally finished updating my collections I can deal with the way it is now. Hopefully they will make some improvements and remove the non-device books from the device view and the device books from the Cloud view. And of course to give users the ability which collections to have on the device and which to have on the Cloud but I can tolerate it while they hopefully fix this.

It is too bad Booklover6 that they could not have traded yours for a device that has not been updated. I am sure there are some sitting in the warehouse that has not been updated. You might consider getting one from a store, it you really still want one.

Now that my pw2 is back up and running, and my Christmas shopping is completed, I am debating back and forth with myself if it is worth it to upgrade my 32 gb 2012 Fire HD for a 32 gb HDX, I do not watch many videos so I am not sure if the other new 2013 features are worth it for an upgrade.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #333
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no "rollback" available. They can't give you what doesn't exist.
Surely they have the original factory image on file. They just don't want to give it out.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #334
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post

It is too bad Booklover6 that they could not have traded yours for a device that has not been updated. I am sure there are some sitting in the warehouse that has not been updated. You might consider getting one from a store, it you really still want one.
I'd be more inclined to get a PW1 from Best Buy. Then I wouldn't have to embed my fonts. I had so many nice hacks on it. On the other hand, my Kobo Glo does all that without needing any hacks. But, I still have my nice Amazon case that would fit it. So I am thinking of it. Well never mind, none in stock in any store near me.

Quote:
I am debating back and forth with myself if it is worth it to upgrade my 32 gb 2012 Fire HD for a 32 gb HDX, I do not watch many videos so I am not sure if the other new 2013 features are worth it for an upgrade.
I would say, no. The 2012 HD is great, no need to upgrade it. Especially if you have the nice Amazon case on it.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-11-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #335
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:

I would say, no. The 2012 HD is great, no need to upgrade it. Especially if you have the nice Amazon case on it.
This seems to be the prevailing winning point, especially since the 2013 HD doesn't come in a 32 gb. The videos and quad core processor doesn't seem enough of an incentive to upgrade.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #336
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This seems to be the prevailing winning point, especially since the 2013 HD doesn't come in a 32 gb. The videos and quad core processor doesn't seem enough of an incentive to upgrade.
And IMO the cases made for the 2012 PW & Fire HD are superior to any other cases they have made for any other devices. That is a very important factor to consider!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #337
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Now that my pw2 is back up and running, and my Christmas shopping is completed, I am debating back and forth with myself if it is worth it to upgrade my 32 gb 2012 Fire HD for a 32 gb HDX, I do not watch many videos so I am not sure if the other new 2013 features are worth it for an upgrade.
Stay with what you got. The HDX 7 has a blue border issue which can bleed into the text and make reading not a pleasant experience. Each unit varies so it hard to know how bad or subtle it will be. I went through 3 of them before I gave up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #338
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My final note about the PW2 and the disastrous update - Amazon is taking it back and giving me a full refund. The update made the PW2 completely unusable FOR ME. I am astonished, absolutely astonished, that they would rather give me a refund on a 3 month old device, than roll mine back to the original firmware.
Well at least you got the full amount back that's great about Amazon no other place would do that.

I think the collections will get better in time though. The ones on the Kindle Fire are really nice and they don't sync.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #339
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well at least you got the full amount back that's great about Amazon no other place would do that.

I think the collections will get better in time though. The ones on the Kindle Fire are really nice and they don't sync.
Best company ever!!! I don't know if I'll buy any more of their devices, though. Have to wait and see if the rumored Spring e-reader has anything that I want. I kind of doubt it.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #340
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Best company ever!!! I don't know if I'll buy any more of their devices, though. Have to wait and see if the rumored Spring e-reader has anything that I want. I kind of doubt it.
I'm too much of a Kindle gal to not buy a Kindle.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #341
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I presume 5.4.2 is the latest firmware for the PW2. I'm hoping for a PW2 for xmas. Any idea what firmware will arrive with the new PW2? After reading just some of this thread, I'm pretty sure I want to wait on updating to 5.4.2.

I've got a K2 (keyboard) and I've been happy with it, but the PW2 with the sharper text, smaller form factor, and built-in light sure interests me.

However Amazon has apparently made it to neither the Collections plug-in or Collections Manager kindler work on the PW2, so I am wondering if I'll keep the PW2 once I get it.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #342
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
[QUOTE=jangell2;2710697]I presume 5.4.2 is the latest firmware for the PW2. I'm hoping for a PW2 for xmas. Any idea what firmware will arrive with the new PW2? After reading just some of this thread, I'm pretty sure I want to wait on updating to 5.4.2.

I've bought my PW 2 last week and it came with 5.4.2
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #343
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I understand that lots of folks come here to post all the flaws in the Amazon Kindles.

Sorry about it, but some of us like Amazon Kindles and also like to post their LIKES here.

Complainers should have their say here but SUPPORTERS of Amazon should also have their say here.

I happen to like my Paperwhite 2013 and my HDX 2013 and have found NO major flaws in those units. If that pisses anyone off, so be it. If I did find a flaw, I would have been the first to post it.

I have found that the most complaints come from Calibre and Apprentice Alf users. They seem to want Amazon to cater to their needs when the vast majority of READERS of eBooks have never even heard of those software applications. They like to read eBooks purchased from other suppliers than Amazon and like to side load, strip DRM and use Calibre for all eBook functions.

That is just fine for THEM but others of us conventional eBook readers also have opinions.

Remember, there is an "IGNORE" function here. Any of us can simply IGNORE posts they don't want to read. USE IT if you don't like my posts. I don't use it because I like to read posts of others even if I disagree with them.
I love Amazon. I love Kindles - have had almost every generation of Kindle. The PW2 was my first new Kindle in a couple of years, and I was thrilled with it because it brought me back to a Kindle (I'd been reading on my iPad Mini with the lovely Marvin app).

Since this disastrous-for-some update, I'm able to keep wifi off and continue to love my PW2 because of Calibre and Alf. I can use them to sideload my books from Calibre. I turned off wifi on my PW2 as soon as I saw the issues people were having with the new Cloud Collections feature. If you're the only person on your account, and you've kept your Collections fairly consistent, the update will work fine for you. But for me, with 6 people on my account, and 4 of them having had multiple Kindles and collections on all of them, it's an unmitigated nightmare. I do not want to see everyone else's Collections on my PW2. Nor do I want to risk deleting their Collections in trying to clean up my Home Page. So wifi stays off, and I keep loving my Kindle.

A lot of updates either to hardware or software require Calibre and/or Alf developers to make some tweaks. Sometimes things can't be tweaked. And we users just have to deal with it - we aren't required to be happy about it. But it's issues like this one that have convinced some of us to use Calibre (and Alf) to manage our ebook libraries.

Happy the update is working for you, but you don't seem to understand the issues that some of us are having (or would have if we updated) with 5.4.2.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #344
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Here is the Amazon App for Calibre Companion:

http://www.amazon.com/MultiPie-Ltd-C...ywords=calibre

Do you use it? What can it do for me if I buy and install it in the context that I only read 2 eBooks on History / Biography at a time and only own 35 Amazon eBooks?
This is why the update doesn't bother you. Try having 6 people on your account, 2500+ books in your Amazon library, and 104 Collections between those 6 people. Slightly different issue then.

By the way, if you don't have Calibre installed on your computer, you don't need this app. It's for connecting to your Calibre library, which you install on your computer. I used to connect to my Calibre library from my Kindles by wifi, now I've moved my library to Dropbox and can connect to it that way OR by wifi.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #345
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Does anybody have a backup of 5.4.2 update file ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote