Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
warrior.0608
warrior.0608 began at the beginning.

Device: Numerous
Importing Libraries Issues

Hello!!!

I recently purchased a new computer and have transferred my calibre files somewhat successfully, with caveats. A brief discussion, followed by queries:

1. My previous library consisted of three sub-libraries: Books, Journals, and Archived News. Former are self-explanatory, archived news consisted of calibre "news" articles I've fetched and wish to keep (Atlantic copies, Economist, etc).

2. I transferred files in this manner: copied the calibre file folder to the new computer, then transferred the settings folder to the new computer. I then copied the old calibre settings complete with metadata into the new settings folder. Next, I went to library maintenance and "restore database".

3. All the files transferred, along with combining ALL my previous sort functions within my previous library (for example, my Journals library had Journal Name, Publisher, etc; whereas my book library did not, in lieu had genre). HOWEVER, now ALL of my files are within one library. It seems my "restore database" took the calibre files folder and combined them all into one folder. Also, it appears as if all of my archived news are deleted. This could be an issue with the file transfer, as when I look at the file folder, I ONLY see the metadata file, not the news article.

Questions:
1. How can I compile all my files into one folder and manage them better without creating dual copies? Since my previous folder now has three separate library collections, yet calibre doesn't recognize them, I want to combine them all into a new folder and separate them into libraries later. I'm concerned if I try to create a new library within my current parent directory, it will simply provide dual copies of each journal (which I DO NOT want, obviously).
2. What gives with archived news? Why didn't the files transfer over?
3. Are creating libraries really worth it, or is creating a series of virtual libraries or adding sort functions a better answer?
4. Is there a way to sort via multiple categories without using the tabs on the left? Like excel, I would like 4 different sort functions within my library to narrow down what I'm looking at.
5. Completely unrelated: is there an updated iBooks DRM cracker out there? I haven't seen anything for awhile.

Thank you in advance!!!

v/r

Brian
warrior.0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You can just copy the calibre folder from one computer to another, complete with metadata.db and folders for authors and books, and directly open and use that calibre library.

You find this described here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another

I recommend that you do this for each of your current libraries.

It is very convenient to have everything in the same calibre library, and just use virtual libraries to switch between the different contents. I think it is much better than separate libraries. But you have to give each type of book some identifying tag so you can create the virtual libraries. Most likely you'll find that you create many more libraries in a similar way, to enable you to find things more conveniently.

Create a new empty library, perhaps "Main". Then go back to each of the other libraries and select all books and right click and copy over to the new library. Before you copy the books you may wish to give them a unique tag, so you can easily find them to create a virtual library from them.

Afterwards you can delete the books in the old library.

Also make sure that you have a good backup system for your library. Perhaps the harddrive in the old computer can be used to house the backup, or you could get one or preferably two external harddrives. They are not very expensive now. (One is none, when it comes to backups...)

The easiest way to change the sort order is to just tap the column headings in the right order. There is no saved sorts, except for the initial, even if that might have been nice. Could be an optional part of a virtual library...

Last edited by Adoby; 08-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
warrior.0608
warrior.0608 began at the beginning.

Device: Numerous
Thanks, Adoby!!! That worked, now I have to transfer all of the old folders into one folder in order to delete the old libraries. After using the itnerface for a few days, I agree: one collection is better. I originally wanted to differentiate books from Journal articles, but it really does make searching more difficult. Now I'll keep two libraries: one for "news" from calibre, and one for all others. Thanks!!! Now if only iTunes was so easy to export to a new computer... <grumble>
warrior.0608 is offline   Reply With Quote