Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
[Solved] Trying to enable 3g on Kindle Touch

I have a Kindle 4 Touch. It is the model with wifi + 3g. 3g was working on it earlier but since I'm a tinkerer I used Kubrick on it. After using Kubrick 3g is unable to connect.

It is a known problem, this issue has been discussed before on this thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195975

From reading that thread we're led to believe that modifying two files would lead the 3g to connect again. Both the files reside in
/etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2

ixtab suggested using vi to edit the files, twobob suggested using nano and being that nano is not included on the Kindle by default he made some other suggestions. At this point ixtab put forth two commands using the powerful command sed that would modify the files in question "on the go" instead of using vi or nano.

The commands in question that he suggested were
Code:
sed -i -e 's/^0$/1/' /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/hw_present
sed -i -e 's/^1$/0/' /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/force_down
The problem with the above commands is that on my Kindle the directory cmd doesn't exist. All the directories up to daemon are there but the only two directories under that are otaup & usbnetd. No cmd. I'm also unable to locate the directory interfaces or interface2.

Well at this point, I'm a bit out of my water and instead of cluttering the other thread about using Kubrick I thought I'd create another separate thread about getting 3g functionality back on my device.

On the other thread about this issue is also a link to Kindle firmware images. Apparently on the 5.0.0 image 3g is fine but on ixtab's 5.1.2+extras image 3g is broken. I've thought about flashing the 5.0.0 image to the Kindle Touch wifi + 3g in the hopes of getting it back in fully functional condition... but I'm new to the Kindle scene and am not aware of how to flash a firmware image to the Kindle outside of Kubrick.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Last edited by kolosus; 03-22-2013 at 01:12 AM.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
I have a Kindle 4 Touch.
Please call it Kindle Touch, or Kindle 5 Touch. It's a Kindle 5

Quote:
The commands in question that he suggested were
Code:
sed -i -e 's/^0$/1/' /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/hw_present
sed -i -e 's/^1$/0/' /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/force_down
The problem with the above commands is that on my Kindle the directory cmd doesn't exist. All the directories up to daemon are there but the only two directories under that are otaup & usbnetd. No cmd. I'm also unable to locate the directory interfaces or interface2.
You are looking at the wrong filesystem. Did you SSH into the Kindle in diags mode? If so, then yes, this is what you will see.

You will need to modify the main partition, not the diags one. So, mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc/, and perform the commands in /mnt/mmc/etc/ ...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Oh, while we're at it: is your K4 also a Wifi+3G version? If so, would you mind making an image of the main partition so I can try to understand how it's solved there?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
Thank you so much ixtab for your help. My Kindle 5 has 3g again! I didn't know about it being the Kindle 5, for some reason I thought it was still the Kindle 4 but with Touch interface. I guess my confusion started when I was dealing with the Kindle 4 and it was referred everywhere as the Kindle 4 NT. Why refer to it as the NT version when by definition the 4 is non touch while the touch version is not 4 but 5! Well I'll leave that battle for another day.

I did modify the code that you so generously provided but only slightly. I used...

Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc/
cd /mnt/mmc/
sed -i -e 's/^0$/1/' ./etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/hw_present
sed -i -e 's/^1$/0/' ./etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/force_down
As you can see it is still mainly your code, I just incorporated the information that you provided to me on post #2 on this thread. I could've used /mnt/mmc/etc/ as you suggested instead of using ./etc oh well.

As for my Kindle 4. It is a wifi only version. As I understand it the 3g versions are a dying breed. Sorry. Wish I could've helped after your monumental efforts in helping me out.

BTW, I wrote the code out on this thread as I used it to get 3g back just in case someone else had this problem and wanted to use it without trying to figure out what/how it was done. As you'd mentioned, the next iteration of Kubrick should make this thread obsolete.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Okay. Glad you got it sorted.

You can see now why it is so important to us to have peoples device types correctly listed in their profile. Saves a LOT of time and head-scratching.

Be well. Happy days to you!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert