Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
aodor
aodor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question eBook with formulas

I'm preparing a book to teach statistics and it has a lot of formulas in it. I'm creating it in Word 2007 and its formula writer.

Which eBook format would be best to reproduce this kind of content?

Does it need to convert formulas to jpg or other graphic format?

Alberto Odor, MD
aodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I used codecogs to generate the formulas in SVG. If specify the height and width in em, they scale when you zoom in the text. All ePUB readers should support SVG.

If you want to use images, the quality is often less. If you want to use images, use png. For text-based images that will result in better quality.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
aodor

Thanks

Thank you Toxaris, I'll give codecogs a try
Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
I think academic material should be scanned to PDF, with the page numbers identical to the printed version, in case someone needs to quote or reference (or look up a quote, or reference). Epub and mobi aren't quite there yet.

Last edited by DSpider; 11-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
aodor

That's another possibility. I was thinking on e Pub as an alternative version for eReaders which do not support PDF.
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably all of them support PDF.

Name one that doesn't.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, there is support and support. If you don't adapt the pdf to the screen of the reader, it is not really readable.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
aodor

That is true, I have a couple of books with formulas which in paper look great and the PDF in the computer looks great, but the PDF in a Kobo reader or an iPad 2 with Kindle reader fails to show the formular clearly.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
DSpider
Evangelist

Probably because you need to embed the fonts?

But for crying out loud, don't use the Kindle app for reading PDFs. Use GoodReader (my favourite) or at least iBooks or something. I'm not sure Amazon gives that much of a sh*t about the iPad when they've got Kindle Fire on their plate right now.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
aodor

I have Good Reader too. The books I mentioned look the same in Kindle for iPad and Good Reader. Same file, same resolution, same image.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
aodor

According to Amazon's CEO interviewd a couple of weeks ago, he said that they would continue promoting Kindle app for many devices as their business is not selling Kindles, but selling content, so the more devices can read the content the better for Amazon.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
DSpider
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aodor View Post
I have Good Reader too. The books I mentioned look the same in Kindle for iPad and Good Reader. Same file, same resolution, same image.
I have worked with some very content-rich PDFs before (over 650 MB files) and they looked fine in GoodReader. You probably didn't embed the fonts.

PDF is designed to look the same no matter what screen size you have. If the e-reader doesn't resize the PDF by either width or height, then it's a sh*tty reader.

Last edited by DSpider; 11-17-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

That will not work for non-reflowable PDF. Most PDF have fixed page-sizes, usually larger than the screen. That will lead to resize and thus loss of quality.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

My advice is, create several eBooks each in a different format (derivates).

Per example, create one version in mobipocket, one in epub, one in pdf designed for 6” eBooks readers and one designed for 9/10” eBook reader/tablets. Let your “clients” decide what format they want to use.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote