Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #151
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Log from update of DXG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
A small request. Even if the install worked, it would still be great to see some logs.
Sure, here is log of beta3 create_updater: http://mjesec.ffzg.hr/~dpavlin/kindle-updater/beta3/make-package.log

Thanks again for your hard work on making this happend.

I will try beta3b and report logs when it finish.

Update: beta3b create_updater log: http://mjesec.ffzg.hr/~dpavlin/kindle-updater/beta3b/make-package.log

Last edited by dpavlin; 05-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #152
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
beta3b version doesn't seem to work

Quote:
So, I'm trying out the method I proposed a couple posts back. I want to see if I can do the whole copy process in one command (aka, not more save old files, copy new files, copy old files). I'm trying the rsync --delete command, so it may not work and it may even be dangerous (but I doubt that). Try it out and as always, post your logs!!
I assume you are talking about beta3b version. It created image with a problem, but after successful update DXG is just stuck at amazon tree screen.

I'm having slight problems entering recovery menu.

I managed to show it once so I know it works, but it timeouted (in just few seconds) and now I'm stuck on tree screen again.

I can see that power led goes off 9 seconds after holding power, and it seems that DXG needs longer than 60 seconds for first holding (once I managed to get into recovery I held power about 120 seconds).

Update: after a lot of trials, now I don't even get power led to turn on when plugged into usb. Rest of experiments will have to wait another day, since I run out of time today.

Should Kindle be plugged into USB while entering recovery?

Update 2: it seems that it's easier with USB plugged, since you can see led going off (if it doesn't it doesn't work for me). Also it's really important to be fast when releasing and again pressing power as well as pressing E do get USB to show up :-)

I'm right now restoring 2.5.8, and I can re-try beta3b if that will help. Last time I did beta3 -> beta3b update, does that make difference?

Last edited by dpavlin; 05-15-2011 at 04:30 PM.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #153
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
I assume you are talking about beta3b version. It created image with a problem, but after successful update DXG is just stuck at amazon tree screen.

I'm having slight problems entering recovery menu.

I managed to show it once so I know it works, but it timeouted (in just few seconds) and now I'm stuck on tree screen again.

I can see that power led goes off 9 seconds after holding power, and it seems that DXG needs longer than 60 seconds for first holding (once I managed to get into recovery I held power about 120 seconds).

Update: after a lot of trials, now I don't even get power led to turn on when plugged into usb. Rest of experiments will have to wait another day, since I run out of time today.

Should Kindle be plugged into USB while entering recovery?
Thanks, I accidentally removed the code to write custom DX/K2 specific files, so that's what broke stuff. Beta 4 is out. Better logging so I can find what goes wrong.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #154
azuwis
azuwis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Thanks, yifanlu.

I've just successfully updated my DXG to custom 3.1 firmware using kindle-updater-b4.

dxg as client, k3w as host.

Here is the log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt make-package.txt (485.6 KB, 415 views)
azuwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #155
azuwis

Noticed a weird thing. After upgrade, update_dxg-update-os.bin was moved to /mnt/us/linkfonts/. I had NiLuJe's fonts hack installed before upgrade.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #156
azuwis

another problem on dxg: launching browser results in zombie processes

Code:
root     12538  0.9 20.5 121048 26172 ?        Sl   18:25   0:21  \_ /usr/bin/browserd
root     12595  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:25   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     13945  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:56   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     13952  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:56   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     13956  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:56   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     16103  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    19:00   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     16105  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    19:00   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>

Last edited by azuwis; 05-17-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #157
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuwis View Post
another problem on dxg: launching browser results in zombie processes

Code:
root     12538  0.9 20.5 121048 26172 ?        Sl   18:25   0:21  \_ /usr/bin/browserd
root     12595  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:25   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     13945  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:56   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     13952  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:56   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     13956  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    18:56   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     16103  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    19:00   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
root     16105  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    19:00   0:00  |   \_ [sh] <defunct>
But does the browser work?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #158
azuwis

Quote:
But does the browser work?
It works.

Every time the browser is launched, the number of zombie processes increase by 2.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #159
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuwis View Post
It works.

Every time the browser is launched, the number of zombie processes increase by 2.
That is weird, does it happen on the Kindle 3?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #160
azuwis

Quote:
The k3w belongs to my friend, returned to him after upgrade.

The firmware on it is clean. My friend never install jailbreak or any other things on it. It was even 3.0.x when i borrowed it.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #161
azuwis

Quote:
I can not test this on k3w now. My friend was home from work.

How can trace this? Maybe use starce or gdb?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #162
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
Quote:
It does on my K3W (B08 with firmware 3.1).
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #163
kindle-hopes
kindle-hopes began at the beginning.

I can also report that the update beta4 worked flawlessly to put the k3g on my dxg. no noise crackling for me. congratulations!
kindle-hopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #164
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
kindle-hopes, are you sure about that you don´t get crackling noise? I made a complete update sequence with b4 release and still have the same problem.

A good thing is that I managed to get DXG with 3.1 firmware to work with Duokan. A first attempt to install Duokan after the 3.1 firmware upgrade was not successful. Instead I first updated both the DXG 2.5.8 and the Kindle 3G with Duokan before extracting rootfs.img and creating the update package (see attached log). The so created update package didn´t work directly (it got stuck just after the Duokan boot menu) but after restarting several times it worked and the Kindle started up fine in both firmware 3.1 and Duokan. However, the sound was degraded with distortion and crackling noise also in Duokan environment. Another bug on the DXG with 3.1 firmware is that the browser window sometimes gets restricted to 6 inch size.
Attached Files
File Type: txt make-package.txt (486.1 KB, 447 views)

Last edited by DickeFix; 05-18-2011 at 05:27 PM.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #165
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
I have also problems with the female TTS voice. If I unpack tts-files.tar (so I get a "data/" folder in the root directory of the Kindle) I can hear the female voice sporadically but with very large pauses between the sentences. After just one or two sentences the Kindle gives up and reverts to the male voice which works good (except from the crackling noise).

In order to remedy this I compiled an update including the TTS-files (with SKIP_TTS_FILES="") but then the Kindle hanged both for the male and female voice.

Any ideas why this occurs and how to fix it?
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote